Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Romero

More goodies from Romero (DoomEd source, maps, graphics)

Randy87 said:

Got DoomEd running.

Awesome work. Although I had the source I never thought to actually try running it in an emulator. With hindsight that was the obvious first thing to do.

Linguica said:

Dear lazy Doomworld: anyone have any ideas about where cygnus.lbm comes from?

Heavy metal album cover? D&D manual? Looks a bit like the Doom big box cover.

TinEye and Google Image search give nothing.

fraggle said:

Dear lazy Doomworld: anyone have any ideas about where cygnus.lbm comes from?

Looks like it's something Adrian drew:

Maybe, though there are some subtle differences in the space ship design that make me think cygnus.lbm was the original image and he was copying it.

It's certainly very Doom II-like with the building silhouettes in the background.

How do I get those .udmfs to a playable wad? I'm going nuts and google doesn't seem to help >_<

It makes me wonder when we can see Windows and Linux versions of DoomEd..

So all that's left now is the Source Code...not the linuxdoom one, but the One True Code Of Doom The Way Id Did It.

...what about music? I know there was some unreleased stuff...but perhaps more? What about sounds too? :D

FYI: Don't forget to check the wads for new stuff, too. I found this in the sprites.wad

STMIA0

It's not from an alpha and the file date of 11/93 indicates it's from Doom 1 not 2.

Edit: Never mind. I just found the sprite sheet that has this image. Doh!

^^ heh, that eventually got promoted (or demoted, depending on how one sees it) to the E3 sky. Also on the title screen, I think.

fraggle said:

Other than the language (Objective-C) being "native" for OS X, is there anything in OS X itself or the Cocoa API that would make it closer to the original NeXTStep environment or preferable to, e.g. using GCC's implementation of Objective C on Windows?

Maes said:

heh, that eventually got promoted (or demoted, depending on how one sees it) to the E3 sky.

I had the impression that it was cut from the sky. Not the best sprite material, to be honest, no wonder it was dropped.

FuzzballFox said:

What about sounds too? :D

If those selfmade sounds have high quality versions before they were downgraded to 8bit, 11025Hz would be very useful for sure.

Maes said:

Other than the language (Objective-C) being "native" for OS X, is there anything in OS X itself or the Cocoa API that would make it closer to the original NeXTStep environment or preferable to, e.g. using GCC's implementation of Objective C on Windows?

It's less about the language and more about the API. It doesn't really matter that there's an Objective C compiler that works on Windows. Sure, it's a bare minimum first step if you want to port DoomEd to Windows but ultimately it doesn't get you very far at all.

OS X basically is NeXTStep as far as I can tell. It's evolved a lot but that's its history. If you're curious check out Rhapsody that is halfway between the two.

The Cocoa API used for developing OS X applications is descended from the original NeXTStep GUI API. That's not to say that they're not identical by any means: there are some huge differences. From what I can tell, this is the basic history:

In the late '90s NeXT gave up on producing hardware and instead refocused on becoming a pure software company. Everyone had loved the NeXTStep interface and development environment and they wanted to make something that was more widely available. For example there was some plan that the NeXTStep interface was going to be the standard GUI for Sun workstations. As part of this, they released the OpenStep API which was intended to be a kind of cross-platform standard.

Cocoa is an implementation of the OpenStep API. GNUstep is another, open source implementation. OpenStep is something like a formalization of the old NeXTStep API that Romero programmed against when writing DoomEd. It's similar but there are a lot of minor differences. You can see this if you check through my commits: class names all renamed to start with 'NS', instance variables better encapsulated, method names renamed to have nicer names, etc.

With some more work it should be possible to get it running on OS X. It's a long, tedious process of fixing all these little things to take account of API changes, but in the end it should be possible. I've made quite a bit of progress already.

OS X is by far the easiest in terms of a port. As mentioned, GNUstep is also an implementation of the OpenStep API, so a Linux port may be the next-easiest on the list.

A Windows port might be the most hardest / the least likely to ever happen. You need an OpenStep API that runs on Windows. I think it may be possible to run GNUstep on Windows but I have no idea how well it's supported. A better option might be Cocotron but I don't know how well that works.

Heh, all things considered, it's ironic that the game itself which was written in a "no frills", barebone language like C, was eventually ported to everything, while its original editor, written in the time's most cutting edge language and development environment, ended up being nearly unaccessible, at least without some kind soul doing a lot of tedious groundwork pro bono. Been there, done that :-/

Maes said:

Heh, all things considered, it's ironic that the game itself which was written in a "no frills", barebone language like C, was eventually ported to everything, while its original editor, written in the time's most cutting edge language and development environment, ended up being nearly unaccessible, at least without some kind soul doing a lot of tedious groundwork pro bono. Been there, done that :-/

What's ironic about it?
Actually it's one of the cold hard facts many programmers who try to appear 'cool' and 'modern' tend to forget:

All those modern things are just a short-lived thing, they'll all die quickly along with the platforms they were designed for.

On the other hand, code that was mostly written platform-independently and does not depend on a specific OS's idiosyncracies will still be worth something in 20 years.

As someone working in game development it's sometimes astonishing how short sighted many developers are. They start developing a new game, using each and every feature their favorite platform supplies but when the moment of truth arrives and a potential buyer of their games tells them that 'we also need a port to platform xyz' they have to fold.

MAP01's original start room seems to serve as a quite direct transition from E3M8! I also like how those weird switches were set up, even if it was a bit messy.

Overall, I actually kinda like these "Doom 1" feeling maps better, though the high-tier Doom 2 exclusive monsters in early levels is a bit weird. I imagine they were being tested at the time and that was just a quick way to try them out without warping to a later map.

It's kinda fun to run through them with the beta executable and have Ultimate Doom's SKY4 as Doom 2's RSKY1.

Romero is a rock star in my book, that he'd continue to interact with the community after all this time, and that he was a custodian of this content for so long... just really cool. Never seen anything like it in any other communities.

fraggle said:

Heavy metal album cover? D&D manual? Looks a bit like the Doom big box cover.

TinEye and Google Image search give nothing.

Maybe some Wing Commander (1990 game) concept art? Looks a bit like a Dralthi fighter