Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Romero

More goodies from Romero (DoomEd source, maps, graphics)

Every time I see a new texture or flat, I think a whole new map that could be made, using it demonstrate a key feature.

Really can't wait to see what Doomworld projects come out of this most welcome dump.

This is a red-letter day for the Doom community as a whole!

Vorpal said:

Maybe some Wing Commander (1990 game) concept art? Looks a bit like a Dralthi fighter

That does indeed look pretty close.

The image itself looks like it's come from a comic book or something like that. Maybe some kind of tie-in comic book for the Wing Commander games?

fraggle said:

That does indeed look pretty close.

The image itself looks like it's come from a comic book or something like that. Maybe some kind of tie-in comic book for the Wing Commander games?

Well, does Wing Commander have tanks? Because the thing on the right looks like a tank.

There should be a community project that only uses the Doom textures that id left out of the game.

I happy to see some alternate animations, and "featureless" textures of things we're used to- like GREYWALL stuff and rocky textures without the cracks in!

This news just made my entire week. New information for a game over 20 years old? My nerdy Doom brain likes - a lot. Thanks again Romero! Lots of legendary threads this year, with NewDoom included. Keeping the spirit of Doom alive, one thread at a time.

Nick Drake recorded his last song in July 1974. It was re-discovered at the end of another tape by accident and released in 2004, 30 years later.

There is stuff in "retail" I've never seen and stuff in "unused" that looks familiar. This makes me hopeful that out there, somewhere, is a full sprite set and information on the Spider Mastermind's lost psychic attack.

I like the transition patches that allow walls to go from Brown to Brown-Green, like the Startans. They seem to belie Romero's insistence that changing textures always require a border. I wonder if there aren't more like that somewhere, or maybe transitional flats.

And I love the alternate WFALL and SFALL textures.

Too Much Great Stuff!

DWD source for E4M7 seems to be missing. Unless it is under another file name.

It's a Dr Sleep map so I'd assume it would have been made with DEU or something available at that time and not with DoomEd.

I haven't yet downloaded it but are the treasure sprites from the Doom Alpha's included?

Graf Zahl said:

They start developing a new game, using each and every feature their favorite platform supplies but when the moment of truth arrives and a potential buyer of their games tells them that 'we also need a port to platform xyz' they have to fold.

This is far too common in certain kinds of engineering applications software, especially when you throw in the "XYZ-in-the-loop" buzzword. There are so many such platforms, each with its own quirks, limited language and compiler support etc. that unless your codebase consists of 100% pure. platform-agnostic C/C++, you cannot possibly support everything out of the box wihout some effort.

door12a, door12b and door14, door14b look to be front and back frames for a sliding midbar door.

The Doom source has code for a sliding door made by animating the texture on the front and back of a line. Fraggle got them working and made this vid:

And I found that they were actually functional, only for Doom 2, in the v1.4/v1.5 betas a while back. So interesting stuff, these may have been the patches for the GDOORF/B1-4 textures.

Long shot, but do any of the early Doom 2 maps use line action 124?

this thread is so awesome! thank you John!

was wondering what DoomEd was like ever since John mentioned DoomEd's workflow being way easier than a lot of other editors at the time in those videos where he was talking to JP about Doom Episode 1. i really hope someone can make a new editor - or at least make new features out of the DoomEd workflow, even if it proves too difficult of a time to port it to PC like fraggle was saying it might be.

Linguica said:

As noted by ETTiNGRiNDER, IrfanView made a mess of several images - fdemon3.lbm, font.lbm, lights.lbm, stuff.lbm and stuff3.lbm. Here's what they should look like. Grab them from the links since I can't guarantee that MediaFire's thumbnails aren't jpegs.

fdemon3.png

font.png

lights.png

stuff.png

stuff3.png

I saw a lamp sprite and frames of it gradually braking and falling over, I wonder if they were going to add breakable things like Hacx has.

The blob creature was an idea we were thinking of using as a spawn off any wall. It would animate and spawn a Lost Soul there which would be more surprising than just having a Lost Soul sitting around waiting.

The Cygnus graphic has something to do with Cygnus Studios, the company that made Raptor:Call of the Shadows. In the middle of making Strife they mutinied against the founder/lead coder and reformed as Rogue Software (after I dissuaded them from calling themselves Mutiny Software). We moved their company down from Chicago while they were making Raptor so they could work on a game for us when they were finished with it. We moved them into an office next to ours. After they finished Raptor they started working on another game for Apogee called The Two Swords and I talked Scott Miller into dropping that game so they could work on Strife instead.

Been having some serious fun messing with these files. I adapted the old MAP01 intro to be more fitting to the final map's look and feel: http://i.imgur.com/LSdmDhi.jpg

I'm curious, was there any kind of intermediate story or set of locations during Doom 1's development between Tom's departure and the game's release? The brown mountains and stormy clouds respectively seem to match the E1 and E3 intermissions far more closely than the white and red mountain ranges in the final. The beta has some weird skies like blue mountains with Earth clearly visible, and I have no idea what that goes to.

Romero said:

The blob creature was an idea we were thinking of using as a spawn off any wall. It would animate and spawn a Lost Soul there which would be more surprising than just having a Lost Soul sitting around waiting.

More fascinating trivia! Doom is the gift that keeps on giving.

Man, what a pity we don't know near as much about the development of Heretic, Hexen, or Strife. ;/

Romero, I lack words to express how awesome a person you are to keep contact with the Doom community through all those years and providing us with sources, fun facts regarding development and all the other trivia.

Shortly and to the point: Thank You!

Wow, this is so damned awesome at a point where I've just been getting back to Doom editing again. Thanks so much John Romero! Time to fiddle with these textures, thanks Ling for the .png conversions.

JudgeDeadd said:

Man, what a pity we don't know near as much about the development of Heretic, Hexen, or Strife. ;/

I'd really love a similar data dump for Heretic and Hexen.

Strife would be interesting but it seems far less likely that any development material survived, unfortunately. Heretic and Hexen at least seem plausible.

(I'd particularly love unused Heretic and Hexen music.)