Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inkie

Modders can charge money for their works on steam

Remember when everyone hated TeamTNT because Evilution was going to be published by id? Also Perdition's Gate and Hell To Pay.

The idea of charging for mods is bad, but the whole 25% but thing makes it look really bad.

Every game that adopts this is going to look like X-Plane and FSX now in terms of "mod dlc".

Free mods for Skyrim? Ha! You'll have to pay for them now! When no one said please Steam how may I pay more for DLC that's made by fans. Steam listened. Steam brings the people what they want.

Let people name their own price and you'll see things going for pennies soon enough. I like the Half-Life armor for sale. Glad Valve is cool with that.

I remember when people complained about horse armor DLC. Well now its all worse. A weapon for a quarter.

Get paid doing what you love. If this works then it'll start stealing EA and 2K's staff. Supposedly Valve's weapon modelers make 6 figures the first year, but the mappers make dick.

I just spent 2 hours watching a Twitch recap of someone making a pair of boots, then I questioned can't you just make one, clone it and reverse it?

Back with Morrowind I spent months modding some legendary things before I realized oh shit this doesn't make me any money. So I abandon everything. I also fell prey to Morrowind's technological limitations.

Great, I go put my wads there. :D

Gez said:

Remember when everyone hated TeamTNT because Evilution was going to be published by id?

I think the "hatred" was way too exaggerated by that "Top 10 Infamous" wads article. I found some old discussion on Google Groups and it seemed pretty civilised to me and only very few people complained. I think there was pretty much zero drama there.

Imo it's cool how it can help modders make moneys. Ppl buy indie music on bandcamp so why not game mods? Are mappers jelly because they know nobody will buy their wads?

Memfis said:

Imo it's cool how it can help modders make moneys. Ppl buy indie music on bandcamp so why not game mods? Are mappers jelly because they know nobody will buy their wads?

that's kind of different territory, though. indie music you generally tend to make from scratch. game mods are based off of existing assets most likely. what do you think will take the least amount of time to finish and make the most profit?

A lot of electronic music I've seen on bandcamp is heavily based on sampling, remixing, etc. It isn't made 100% from scratch either. And a lot of it is rather lazy crap too. :P I don't see that much of a difference.

I think people are just raging because it's a new thing for mods. In a few years everyone will get used to mods you have to buy and they will be OK with them.

Breezeep said:

I wonder if the idiots will call Valve worse than EA now because of this.

Probably not... They all will start to flood steam with crap at the price of 10 cents apiece.

This is one of those situations where it being a good or bad thing is completely dependent on the mod makers. If the mod makers put in some real time and effort and I feel that I'll get my moneys worth, I don't mind tossing a few buck their way. But, people are bound to charge a stupid amount of money for something like a slight weapon retexture. Modders who pull crap like that should get their rights to post their stuff for profit revoked.

Fuck that, this just opens the gates for people to make half-assed content for sale the way Greenlight has been abused for shitty games getting through.

If somebody makes a bad mod and/or charges unreasonable money for it, people won't buy it and the modder will fail to profit. If somebody makes a good mod and charges reasonable money for it, he will have a chance to get well-deserved money. As long as buying mods is not made mandatory by Steam, I don't see a problem. Am I missing something?

The thing is, I'm not going to pay for a mod before I even know if I like the damned thing or not. heh. There's been mods I liked but stopped using because they're buggy / cause conflict with other mods... so who they hell wants to pay for that...

scifista42 said:

If somebody makes a bad mod and/or charges unreasonable money for it, people won't buy it and the modder will fail to profit. If somebody makes a good mod and charges reasonable money for it, he will have a chance to get well-deserved money. As long as buying mods is not made mandatory by Steam, I don't see a problem. Am I missing something?

My thoughts exactly.

Hmm...everyone seems to forget that Counter-Strike was initially nothing but a Half-Life mod, which got "promoted" to full standalone game status, eventually.

Since most commercial FPS games use some major licensed engine, that technically makes most or even all of them "mods", and yet nobody seems to mind paying the full retail price for them.

What separates a "game proper" from a "mod" anymore? Do you really need to see coders' bloodstains on the game engine or something? Could you really tell a "brand new game" from an elaborate mod?

Its a great idea.

Its interesting that Blender and game design engines like Unreal are going to free models while MODs are going to paid methods.

People are greedy, companies are not? How does that work?

Doom Dude said:

The thing is, I'm not going to pay for a mod before I even know if I like the damned thing or not. heh. There's been mods I liked but stopped using because they're buggy / cause conflict with other mods... so who they hell wants to pay for that...

That's why previews and reviews exist. Just like with games themselves. Or all kinds of commercial products, for that matter.

What I earlier said in ZDoom forums:

I understand that some people want some sort of compensation for what they do. But it also draws vultures that leeches off on what some folks do as their hobby, or the game they like. While it is not my business who's buying what, but this is just disgraceful, and lowers my faith in humanity if people really are buying into this shit. (Do note that I don't not object donations, since it is voluntary.)

Who knows what this action is going to spawn in future.

Still unsure about this.

Oh and you need to earn 100$ minimum to get paid (and you just earn that 100$ you needed, congratulations, you are now 25$ richer!)

geo said:

People are greedy, companies are not? How does that work?

The companies are greedy, as they are taking three quarters of the revenue for what amounts to DLC they had little to no part in making.

Inkie said:

The companies are greedy, as they are taking three quarters of the revenue for what amounts to DLC they had little to no part in making.

So what you're saying is make Youtube videos to make more money? Funny people complain about Nintendo making 40 or so percent. No one ever complains about Youtube's cut.

It will encourage developers to make their stuff more moddable though, which is nice, we need more of that in modern games.

There will always be some drama when something gets commercialized. It's all very old talk.

Memfis said:

It will encourage developers to make their stuff more moddable though, which is nice, we need more of that in modern games.

Question is, can they limit of mod content given to market?

Because I sure as fuck gonna see red if there is hundreds of paid Horse Armor mods or Weapon reskin mods and no new areas and maps.

scifista42 said:

It's not too hard nowadays to make mock videos and screenshots of something that's far from complete or makes it look and sound cooler than it really is. People who enjoy browsing through free mods to find good stuff wont get to do that anymore now that instead of gambling the time it takes to download something, you are now putting your faith into a non reputable person who could have shopped his screenshots and oversold his mod in its description to hold your money.

I don't see video game companies responding positively to modders emails saying "hey I make my income riding off your coat tails. Please make your next game have these features so I can make mods easier off of your games"

geo said:

Its interesting that Blender and game design engines like Unreal are going to free models while MODs are going to paid methods.

I don't see how the engine (or modeling software...) being free is even relevant to this. In the case of a game made using one of those, or a mod to another game, you're charging for your content, not the base game/engine.