Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Brutal Doom v20 released

I know Sgt. Mark IV is notorious for some of his opinions and past statements, but I'm impressed by his dedication to the Brutal Doom project.

I tried previous versions and didn't like them, because I considered them to be too off-balanced with official IWADs, but I will try to approach the new version with open mind and no prejudice.

Here's the trailer (released yesterday):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzYliSASKc

Breezeep said:

oh boy here we go.

Like I said, I will try to approach the mod with an open mind. A significant amount of work went into the new version judging by the trailer so I intend to give it a chance despite everything that has been said here ad nauseam about both the mod and the author

^It simply waves in air for a brief moment as you've moved the gun. Motion for the sake of cool factor, I suppose.

This actually looks a lot better than a good handful of the previous versions. The carry strap on the Shotty is a nice touch and the way the Baron picked up that barrel and threw it at the player is neat. Also, lol @ kicking a zombieman over the edged to his death.

Uh the guns akimbo, the barrel throwing, more environmental interactivity, more sprites, that stupid chainsaw, and basically everything in the trailer?

Also I think it's shipping with its own megawad.

If I still liked the mod, I would be excited but I'm not. RDND is my new baby now.

I was expecting a bigger difference to the previous versions. I'll probably give it a try but I expect I'll be turned off by the difference in gameplay to the original game.

I'm pretty sure my opinion on Brutal Doom isn't changing anytime soon.

...Although dual-wielding plasma guns is pretty boss.

I hear it's actually going to include a full megawad level set with it, which interests me, since it presumably will be actually designed to play well with Brutal Doom.

Fredrik said:

What is the purpose of the bladder that wobbles left and right under the shotgun?

Darkwing Duck is in this wad?

The baron throwing the barrel reminded me of the zombies in Half-Life 2. It's a nice touch, and I enjoy seeing changes in AI.
Other than that, no amount of wobbly straps will make me interested.

I was going to make a joke that the carry straps look like testicles, and then an annotation in the video tries to tell me they aren't testicles! If you have to point out your creation isn't a testicle, then you should make it not look like a testicle.

I'll give Mark one thing: He has a good grasp of gamefeel, and manages to give most actions a rather satisfying weight and presence.

The simplest way to fix the carry strap would probably be to make it thinner and make it swing farther so the gap in the loop is more visible.