Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Unregistered account

Fatal crash in Doom Builder, GLBoom and Zandronum

OK, first off, I have no idea how this error linked all of the source ports as well as Doom Builder.

So, I was making a map for Joe-Ilya's Tune-up project when suddenly I was hit with an unhandled exception (or something). Reasoning that it was just another Doom Builder error, I clicked quit and booted up Doom Builder again.

However...

Windows error yelled:
Unable to initialize the Direct3D video device. Another application may have taken exclusive mode on this video device or the device does not support Direct3D at all.

Basically, this is what Doom Builder gives me if I try to open the map before spewing out more errors if I click "continue".

But the error didn't just stop there! If I tried to open any other map, it did the EXACT SAME THING!
And somehow, as though it's an infection that spreaded, GLBoom crashes with an error ("Couldn't set 1366x768 video mode [Unable to create GL context]") and Zandronum just leaves me at an error ("EXECUTION COULD NOT CONTINUE. Could not create new screen (1360 x 768): 00000000").

WHAT does it mean? And how is it even possible that it affected not only Doom Builder itself, but also the other Source ports? Oh, and I'm not talking about playing the WAD I was working on. It happens each time I try to boot up the Source port independent of a PWAD loaded.

OK, NEVER MIND.
I guess I've once again proven myself an idiot, because it was fixed as soon as I rebooted my computer.

I'm still interested in why it happened, though...

Joe667 said:

.... when suddenly I was hit with an unhandled exception ....

Running the risk of repeating myself ....

Doombuilder2 can throw something like this quite unexpectedly.
Due to the way DB2 was structured, it relies heavily on the SlimDX wrapper for .NET 2.0 and, of course, Framework for NET 2.0. MaxED had been working on this problem and consequently was able to eliminate the reliance on SlimDX. As a result of this and other tweaks, GZDoom Builder is very stable.

Why some mappers are reluctant to use GZDoom Builder, I have no answers to that.
Sure, you have some more icons displayed on the left side of the screen, but that takes up very little screen real estate. And having the added plugins surely makes up for that.

Spoiler

click image for full size

I could just never get GZDoom Builder working. It doesn't appear in the addons/whatever list.

Joe667 said:

I could just never get GZDoom Builder working. It doesn't appear in the addons/whatever list.

What do you mean by "addons/whatever list"? GZDB is nothing you instal into DB2. It's a stand-alone program that does not need DB2 to work. You can simply download the latest version from the site Kappes Buur linked, unzip in an empty folder and run it.