Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Infirnex

Hatred - Is there a line that can be crossed?

Does Hatred take violence in games too far?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Does Hatred take violence in games too far?

• Yes, it does go beyond what is acceptable.
    • No, it is fine for what is considered fine.
    • I don't really care, honestly.
    • Impse 1
    • Impse 2

Touchdown said:

"GRUESOME SATANIC KILLING SPREE SIMULATOR "HATRED" SHOCKS AUDIENCE WITH WORST TRAILER FOR 2015." - Polygon

"Top 10 Reasons Why Hatred is Anti-Semitic, Misogynistic and Disgusting." - Kotaku

"White Male Burns Woman Alive in Trailer for Murder Simulator "Hatred" - Feminist Frequency

"Too much fire. 9/10". - IGN

Also, does no one have a roof in this world?

They could've been a little more creative and went with a full custom character creator for the protagonist. They could use the same abysmal voiceover, only storywise it's a voice inside the protagonists head. Because you know, fucked up misanthrope with mental illness and too much or too little anti-depressants. Inject a little satire, having the option of being able to run around as a 70 year old asian granny.

Clonehunter said:

Probably too lazy to implement contextually transparent brushes, and probably improves performance somewhat.

Finally someone has some sence and added an impse option, too bad I already voted and can not select it now.

As much as I don't mind the genocide theme at all, I'm kind of worried the gameplay just won't be that interesting. Games that have only non-fantasy human opponents are automatically limited in the amount of combat variables, especially that we're talking about a top-down shooter. Compare it to something like Diablo III where you've got a bazillion of enemy types, abilities and modifiers. Going down the 'realistic' route of human enemies and realistic weapons in a game like this... might get stale rather quickly. Maybe the sadistic satisfaction of destroying everything on your path will be enough, if the game is not ridiculously long.

Sokoro said:

Finally someone has some sence and added an impse option, too bad I already voted and can not select it now.

Consider yourself lucky. How is anyone supposed to choose between Impse 1 or Impse 2??? It's tearing me apart!

It's interesting to see how usually out of all joke options there is one that gets way more votes than the others. Who would have thought there is such a big difference between Impse 1 and Impse 2?

Clonehunter said:

"GRUESOME SATANIC KILLING SPREE SIMULATOR "HATRED" SHOCKS AUDIENCE WITH WORST TRAILER FOR 2015." - Polygon

"Top 10 Reasons Why Hatred is Anti-Semitic, Misogynistic and Disgusting." - Kotaku

"White Male Burns Woman Alive in Trailer for Murder Simulator "Hatred" - Feminist Frequency

"Too much fire. 9/10". - IGN

They're all making themselves news. Polygon loves making itself news.

SYS said:

Inject a little satire, having the option of being able to run around as a 70 year old asian granny.

They want to show violence for what it is. That means no satire. This isn't Saints Row.

Clonehunter said:

Saints Row isn't Saints Row anymore. Who knows what it is.

It is the most extreme example of completely bastardizing an entire series with a sequel, fuck Saints Row 3 and up.

I like how people are so rustled up by this new trailer, it is the comments section from a Rick roll video 7 years ago.

Clonehunter said:

Saints Row isn't Saints Row anymore. Who knows what it is.

A hodgepodge of Prototype, Infamous and Crackdown with meme gags. In other words, a series in dire need of a rethink. Still a lot of fun to play IMO, but not what I got into the series at 2 for, frankly. Good thing GTA came back to stamp its authority.

Hatred does strike me as the sort of game that, when you actually sit down and play it, will get old pretty fast. Once you've exhausted all the finishers, what is there to come back to?

Fuzzyfireball said:

They want to show violence for what it is.

It can be done without being try-hard-so-edgy-grim-dark. It's already borderline parody in of itself, it could at least have some self awareness.

The reaction has been pretty funny, I don't get why people are so backwards. We've had this type of violence in video games for years, and now we have controversy over this? Uh, why exactly?

SYS said:

And now for something completely different:

This was posted a lot earlier in the thread, but it's still funny. Especially how he's totally naked at the end. Unsurprisingly the graphics are better.

Mod tools would be Pandora's Box for this game, just imagine...A mod that replaces every civilian in the game with Anita Sarkeesian

Now I don't want Anita to be murdered (in real life) but the reactions this would get out of people would be worth a laugh.

All I see is a twin stick shooter and not the monster people say it is.

I can't wait to gun down minorities with extreme prejudice. It'll be Postal 2 all over again, except without the sarcastic comments or Gary Coleman.