Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

Deliverance 2600

Deliverance 2600 is a Metroidvania-inspired, exploration-focused total conversion for Doom and Doom 2, powered by the GZDoom engine. The player assumes the role of Stanford T. Pace, a former prison inmate who volunteers for Project Deliverance, which is intended to rehabilitate criminals by means of extreme discipline. He is then sent out on a mission to investigate a mysterious communications breakdown with a research facility on the planet Ferrus XII. But what he seeks is something else than redemption...

Download the latest version.

Grab the OST here.

Features

• Large, single-map area with non-linear progression
  • Rank system with 5 achievable ratings
  • 4 playable difficulty levels
  • 8 distinct enemy types
  • 4 threatening bosses
  • 5 usable powerups
  • Retro-inspired cartoon graphics
  • Full original soundtrack with 30+ minutes of music

Deliverance 2600 on ModDB: http://www.moddb.com/mods/deliverance-2600
Deliverance 2600 Dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r18asifajfvigtg/AAAG8XpftiGudHn8qGpj732ma/d2600?dl=0

Edited by MFG38

I've almost confused the thread with this one because of the name.

Judging the screenshots, textures themselves are impressive, but the architecture looks overly basic up to bland-looking (everything that involves squares/rectangles looks underwhelming). The walkway might be too narrow, it will constraint and impede player's movement uncomfortably, and it totally goes against the alleged "fast paced gameplay". Anyway, good luck with the project.

joe-ilya said:
Boring textures, coloring, architecture, scrap this.

Thanks for the constructive feedback! I'll take your advice to heart and not go any further with this.

/sarcasm

scifista42 said:
Judging the screenshots, textures themselves are impressive, but the architecture looks overly basic up to bland-looking (everything that involves squares/rectangles looks underwhelming). The walkway might be too narrow, it will constraint and impede player's movement uncomfortably, and it totally goes against the alleged "fast paced gameplay". Anyway, good luck with the project.

I'm at least glad you like the textures. I do have to admit that I have a fetish of sorts with rectangles, and I can't promise this will necessarily improve on that aspect. As for that walkway, though, worry not - I won't have any of the combat aspect going on there.

Lastly, I appreciate the wishes of luck.

I assume you're attempting to create large and highly interconnective maps but are you also planning to implement jump/platforming elements since Metroidvania is commonly known as a 2d genre.

MFG38 said:

As for that walkway, though, worry not - I won't have any of the combat aspect going on there.

Uncomfortable/unsatisfying slowed-down movement is a problem as itself, not just during combat. When I cannot run fast without constantly bumping into something or worrying about falling into a death pit, I feel annoyed, particularly if this kind of design is recurring within the map.

tourniquet said:

I assume you're attempting to create large and highly interconnective maps but are you also planning to implement jump/platforming elements since Metroidvania is commonly known as a 2d genre.

Essentially, yeah. And most importantly, non-linear progression will be a key thing.

Despite the drab texture choice, it could be interesting but

Version: Pre-Pre-Alpha
Date: 2015-04-28
Overall Progress: ??%

We see a lot of projects come and go here, and posting what's essentially a pitch of your idea isn't necessarily the best way to drum up support or interest; the more material you have to post the better it will be received.

dobu gabu maru said:

We see a lot of projects come and go here, and posting what's essentially a pitch of your idea isn't necessarily the best way to drum up support or interest; the more material you have to post the better it will be received.

I know, but I only started this a few days ago and got so excited that I had to announce it this early. And what's really surprising to myself is that I've dedicated twice the hours just for developing the assets in that time as I would usually dedicate for designing a single map in a week.

joe-ilya said:

Boring textures, coloring, architecture, scrap this.

You do realize that this appears to be a very early WIP, right?

It's okay AD Joe doesn't understand that.
It's cool to rip on people's WIP so they don't improve remember?!

Speaking of Metroidvania, I don't suppose you've heard of Pogostick? It was a rather interesting attempt at morphing Doom into 2D that seemed quite interesting: might be up your alley. Maybe you could work a bit like Splatterhouse and have some pieces in 2D for variety or something. :P Either way, good luck.

@Joe-Ilya Remember when you got Losered for saying pretty much the exact same thing on someone else's project? I'm literally asking, cause I'm not sure you do.

the art-style seems kind of cartoony-looking for being a Doom mod. it being for GZDoom, though, i assume it's going to have custom enemies and weapons, right? and as people have already mentioned, the architecture could do with a bit of widening up, otherwise it'd feel far too cramped for the Doom engine. but other than that, i can't really say much else, as it seems to be pretty barebones now. i do like Metroidvania, though, so this could be interesting.

Obsidian said:
Speaking of Metroidvania, I don't suppose you've heard of Pogostick? It was a rather interesting attempt at morphing Doom into 2D that seemed quite interesting: might be up your alley. Maybe you could work a bit like Splatterhouse and have some pieces in 2D for variety or something. :P Either way, good luck.

Actually I did hear about that sometime around 2012-ish when I initially discovered Realm667. I think I still have it in my PWADs folder - I tried it out once but haven't touched it since.

Regarding the 2D idea, that should certainly be interesting if I end up implementing it to an extent. I'd have to learn some pretty serious ACS, though, so no promise.

Doomhuntress said:
the art-style seems kind of cartoony-looking for being a Doom mod. it being for GZDoom, though, i assume it's going to have custom enemies and weapons, right? and as people have already mentioned, the architecture could do with a bit of widening up, otherwise it'd feel far too cramped for the Doom engine. but other than that, i can't really say much else, as it seems to be pretty barebones now. i do like Metroidvania, though, so this could be interesting.

Well, I do intend to make it a total conversion, so custom enemies and weapons will most definitely be a thing. The architecture is kind of cramped in those shots, I do admit that, but then again, they're from the very start of the map, so none of those areas will have any combat in them. Should've cleared that up earlier, really, now that I think about it...

pcorf said:

Looks very unique. Hope to play it one day.

Trust me, you'll get to play it sooner or later. ;)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

First, an aside:

scifista42 said:

I've almost confused the thread with this one because of the name.

Barring that, while I'm utterly sick of textures that take after FLOOR4_8, I'm a fan of the idea itself. Keep it rollin', try to use non-rectangular rooms, and I feel confident that with plenty of custom art and a little more color this mod could definitely be worth playing. Just remember: the future doesn't have to always be gray.

Fisk said:

while I'm utterly sick of textures that take after FLOOR4_8, I'm a fan of the idea itself. Keep it rollin', try to use non-rectangular rooms, and I feel confident that with plenty of custom art and a little more color this mod could definitely be worth playing. Just remember: the future doesn't have to always be gray.

Much appreciated, man.

EDIT: I think I only now understood the "the future doesn't have to always be gray" thing... :D

Obsidian said:

@Joe-Ilya Remember when you got Losered for saying pretty much the exact same thing on someone else's project? I'm literally asking, cause I'm not sure you do.

I once said he sucked and that I did way better than him.

Here I said that it doesn't look non-linear, inspired, varied. Basically, it's an alpha that isn't worth uploading. I'm just saying, but he could develop it more before uploading, just so it'll look more promising. But that's my opinion and you're most likely not going to agree with me because you're not me.

joe-ilya said:

Here I said that it doesn't look non-linear, inspired, varied. Basically, it's an alpha that isn't worth uploading. I'm just saying, but he could develop it more before uploading, just so it'll look more promising. But that's my opinion and you're most likely not going to agree with me because you're not me.

I know someone else who could develop their things more before uploading.

joe-ilya said:

Then why didn't you just say that instead of "scrap it"? And if you know what makes a good map then why don't you start making them?

Guest DILDOMASTER666
zap610 said:

Then why didn't you just say that instead of "scrap it"? And if you know what makes a good map then why don't you start making them?

This thread is now about Fiskmaps, a new legendary 64-map masterpiece made by joe-ilya

The ModDB page for Deliverance 2600 is up!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/deliverance-2600

I'll post an update over to the ModDB page whenever a new build is made, probably even some semi-frequent general progress updates. Head on over there and click the "Track This Mod" button to make sure not to miss any of them! Or if you're not a member of ModDB, you can just bookmark the page and check in frequently.

joe-ilya said:

Boring textures, coloring, architecture ...

While this is obviously a very early mock-up of your idea, MFG38, joe-ilya's post is something that I have to agree with for the time being. I fucking love Metroidvania-style games, and one of my big draws to them is when they're fun and satisfying to explore and make progress through. The only thing I'm getting from these first screenshots are grey square rooms containing some 64-unit wide bridges and nothing that invited me to get excited about exploring them. The idea of a Doom Metroidvania mod is a really cool one that I've actually dabbled with before (but never got past the planning stage), and what I get from those screenshots is the complete opposite of what a Doom Metroidvania mod should be.

The mod's story ... will probably involve some sort of alien infestation on a space station of some sort... You know, nothing out of the ordinary.

Dude, you're doing this project with the GZDoom engine, and this is the best you can come up with? Have some balls, make a fucking cool place for me to explore. Come on.

EDIT: I didn't realise that joe suggested that this should be scrapped and I was agreeing with that, but I don't think it should, haha!

an_mutt said:

While this is obviously a very early mock-up of your idea, MFG38, joe-ilya's post is something that I have to agree with for the time being. I fucking love Metroidvania-style games, and one of my big draws to them is when they're fun and satisfying to explore and make progress through. The only thing I'm getting from these first screenshots are grey square rooms containing some 64-unit wide bridges and nothing that invited me to get excited about exploring them. The idea of a Doom Metroidvania mod is a really cool one that I've actually dabbled with before (but never got past the planning stage), and what I get from those screenshots is the complete opposite of what a Doom Metroidvania mod should be.

Dude, you're doing this project with the GZDoom engine, and this is the best you can come up with? Have some balls, make a fucking cool place for me to explore. Come on.

EDIT: I didn't realise that joe suggested that this should be scrapped and I was agreeing with that, but I don't think it should, haha!

Believe me, I completely understand where you're coming from. But then again, the mod isn't even in a pre-alpha stage yet, and chances are the areas even in those screenshots will go through tons of revisions as I work more on it. However, as I said earlier in reply to scifista42, the rectangular layouts will potentially stay rectangular.

Now as for the "space station" thing, that's just a placeholder of sorts. I'll probably change it to something less clichéd eventually, and as a matter of fact, I just started visualizing some different themes and areas I might make later.

And finally, I won't scrap this, don't you worry. At least not until a public beta is out... :P

SlashBane said:

Looks pretty swell

Thanks, man!

It is with great joy that I announce the Deliverance 2600 team has a new member! Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome aboard Finnfox66!

Finnfox will mainly be doing sprite art for the project. I'll send him the base sprites I make and he'll basically animate them as he wishes. Him having made some music in the past, we also briefly discussed the possibility of a musical collaboration between him and me.

And with that, stay tuned for more!

(Sorry for the bump.)