Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheNerdTurtle2

How to End Game in old source ports

I know how to make MapInfo lumps that can end game after a certain level but how would I go about doing that in older source ports such as chocolate doom? I am familiar with Slade and Doom builder, so is there a way to go about this without using other programs or am I going to have to look into Dehacked? This question is more or less for future reference because I am not nearly done with my WAD yet, but it's going to contain less than 32 maps and I want the ending to look professional. Thanks a lot

Include an ending map? Is there a way to make a switch that ends the game instead of exiting theven level? Remember I am using Doom Builder in Doom II format.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Remember I am using Doom Builder in Doom II format.

You cannot cause an end game before MAP30 in Doom Builder. You have to use DoomCAD for that.

That's a joke. The editor is irrelevant. I find it funny that people are always asking questions like "can I do this in vanilla? I'm using Doom Builder".

Anyway, the best you can do is have a MAPINFO that will cause the game over, and for ports without MAPINFO support, use a "game over" map without exit.

Start closer to the end. If your wad has six maps, make MAP24 your MAP01.

Gez said:

You cannot cause an end game before MAP30 in Doom Builder. You have to use DoomCAD for that.

That's a joke. The editor is irrelevant. I find it funny that people are always asking questions like "can I do this in vanilla? I'm using Doom Builder".

Anyway, the best you can do is have a MAPINFO that will cause the game over, and for ports without MAPINFO support, use a "game over" map without exit.

That's not what I meant... I was talking about the format not the editor. He might think I was using Doom (Doom in Hexen Format) in which I'm pretty sure you can make a switch end game.

40oz said:

Start closer to the end. If your wad has six maps, make MAP24 your MAP01.

How can I do that? or do a I have to include a bat that starts the game on a later map? That's smart I would have never thought of that haha

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

He might think I was using Doom (Doom in Hexen Format)

No, not when you mention Chocolate Doom in the first post.

I just want to make sure no one gets misinformed because I have had people give me suggestions and it was obvious they didn't read my OP. Sometimes I am bad at articulating what I mean in text though so it could be a problem on my end haha

Edit: I also didn't know what jmickle666 meant by end map, I thought be meant a map that ended the game until people started suggesting dummy end maps with no exit

Gez said:

The editor is irrelevant. I find it funny that people are always asking questions like "can I do this in vanilla? I'm using Doom Builder".

I often see you claiming this, and I see what you mean. But perhaps at least some of these people aren't as misinformed as you might think. They might be aware that the editor is irrelevant, and they mean their questions this way: "Can I do this in vanilla? If so, please show me an easy way how to do it in Doom Builder 2, because that's the editor I'm using."

@TheNerdTurtle2: Your batch file would only work with one certain source port you wrote it for. Just tell people in your map's textfile to load MAP24 as the first map. Or let the player see default Doom 2 MAP07 after your last MAP06. In reality - it's a common practice in Doom mapping since 1994, because of the given engine limits.

Thanks a lot scifista42, I have not experimented with PrBoom or Boom yet and that was going to be my next question. I was going to setup mapinfo for (g)zdoom and zandronum to start on a later map and use a bat for chocolate doom but then I was wondering what I have to do for the other ports. I'm assuming it is something similar to how you do it in chocolate doom, am I correct?

Edit: If compatibility is a big issue I will just setup anew end map after my last real one though.. Wow I was researching source ports and I thought Boom and Prboom were completely different things haha

Other ports have the same parameter names and usage, only the executable name would change. In PrBoom-plus, you should also specify "-complevel 2" to enforce vanilla behaviour over the Boom one.

I tell you, you don't need to make .bats. Saying "the mapset starts on MAP24" in the textfile should be good enough - the user will IDCLEV or -warp to MAP24 by himself.

If you use the approach suggested by 40oz and start your episode near the end, then you can make a dummy map for MAP01 instead of a dummy exit map.

Just make a square room with a texture saying "warp to MAP24" (or whatever map slot is appropriate). Or even write that message out of sectors :)

The only reason I want to make bats is because it feels like a chore to me and I'd like to alleviate the torture of painstakingly typing a batch file just to play my maps haha.

Or replace all maps 01 to 23 with small rooms with a sign "Start at MAP24" and an exit. If the player won't IDCLIP to MAP24, he would eventually get there by going through all of the 23 placeholder maps. :)

(It was a joke on the apparent overcomplication. Really, just include your new maps in whatever slots and don't care any more.)

EDIT: I don't think people actually use provided batch files so much nowadays, they either use IDCLIP, direct command line, or a launcher like ZDL. This also allows them to specify difficulty setting and other custom parameters they want, and choose whatever port / addon mod they want to play with. With provided batches, you just force prepared settings to everyone, and mostly nobody will use them anyway.

EDIT2: IDCLEV instead of IDCLIP, of course.

Do you mean IDCLEV? I might be wrong but I don't think IDCLIP changes levels

And I think I'll just include a dummy level at the end so compatibility isn't an issue :)

Gez said:

and for ports without MAPINFO support, use a "game over" map without exit.

One neglect's Doomsday's Infine scripting system, which isn't MAPINFO and can end the game after any map, via an un-skippable script.

I think I may have mis-interpreted your use of 'MAPINFO' to be specifically referring to the MAPINFO lump; historically people capitalize when referring to lump names.

Doomsday's equivalent is explicitly called 'Map Info', which admittedly can cause confusion.

But yes, if one wants to end a game on a map of their choice in Doomsday, one can write a post map Infine script that both doesn't end and can't be skipped.

Perhaps a map that crashes (and therefore exits the game) could be considered a cooler version of a boring dummy map you can't exit. NITELIFE.WAD does this: the last switch says "pressing this button crashes the game after the intermission screen". I like it.

Memfis said:

Perhaps a map that crashes (and therefore exits the game) could be considered a cooler version of a boring dummy map you can't exit. NITELIFE.WAD does this: the last switch says "pressing this button crashes the game after the intermission screen". I like it.

How exactly does it do that? Does it work on all source ports?

Vanilla Doom will crash if it tries to load a map with an unknown texture, unknown thing, no player 1 start etc.

Many modern ports however can handle many, if not all, such situations.