Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

SMOOTH DOOM [UPDATE 4/14/20]

DooM_RO said:

This is one of the very few mods that are absolutely essential for me. It's just the right amount of modernization, just perfect. After playing with Smooth Doom I simply can't go back to the stock sprites, Smooth Doom makes them look old which is very rare in a Doom mod.

this. and it doesn't change gameplay, which is essential to me, unlike brutal doom and its variants.

i have 2 configs for ZDL currently: one using RDND with ketchupmod for gore in sarge's over the top style, and one using smooth doom with droplets, which is more restrained and physically correct.

i like them both, and have recently noticed that RDND+ketchup works with the voxelbro voxel pack (fix of teamhellspawn's pack),

but smooth doom seems to be incompatible with voxels, because some items are shown as sprites, and others, like barrels, change from sprites to voxels and back every second.

is there any possibility to make them compatible? i really like the varied monster skins and the voxel pack really makes a difference, seeing weapons and objects as sprites suddenly makes them seem flat :\

I think it should become part of the Zdoom options.

amen.

Voxel and brightmap compatibility are both things that have been on the distant horizon for a long time, I'd like to get both of them in if it's not TOO much trouble, especially now that the mod is reaching feature completeness. Brightmaps will probably go first since I have a better idea of how they work.

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that I've been on the lookout for Chaingunner sprites that could make a good variant. I've looked over a lot of stuff and haven't found anything that feels right, but if you know of any then maybe throw them my way?

Really digging this project!

However, I object to those Duke Nukem 3D explosions. In my view, they are a small bit of Brutal Doom that have sneaked in on this non-Brutal Doom endeavor.

I'd rather like to see the Doom explosion (it's just the "rocket launcher explosion") combined and manipulated with itself for simply a bigger explosion graphic. In other words, please use that resource rather than snatching something tainted from DN3D.

Honestly I just added the DewkSplosions because I really liked them in Blood, they remind me of how fun the napalm launcher is.

Update! Several really (I think) dramatic improvements in zombie animation. I'm phasing in new idle frames and rotations for the shotgunner, with the variant skins still to come. Plus, new logo!

-redid Zombieman alternate death
-redid shotgunner alternate death
-improved shotgunner standard death (no variants yet)
-improved shotgunner weapon draw (no variants yet)
-new idle for shotgunner
-fixed sprite name conflict in imp death
-Baron now has all 8 walk rotations
-tweaked pistol fire animation (closer to vanilla, less "squishy")
-rifle now leaves proper wall decals
-numerous ticrate fixes; zombies in particular are way more vanilla (thanks, Rowsol!)
-sprite fixes on Baron (hoove, leg color changes)
-tweaks+additions to dead marine props

I never got the headless zombies. I mean, causing bodily damage to demons = they die, so why can they get away with missing the most important organ in the body, but not a few pellets to the intestines/heart?

Not that it's something I ever gave prior thought to, but Evil Dead rules dictate that possession can occur anywhere, so hypothetically a headless body could still be reanimated. In this case, basically all the player is doing is damage the affected body beyond use.

Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/melt
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/die
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/die2
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/gib
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/idle
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/missile
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/pain
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/walk
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/bfg.txt
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/black/rifle
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/chaingun
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/fist
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/pistol
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/plasma
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/rocket
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/saw
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/shotgun
Invalid data encountered for texture smoothdoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/ssgun

why do i get these error messages? i'm using zdoom 2.7.1 and newest (g)zdoom.

Yeah, about that:

Gifty said:

I've started keeping markers in the sprite folders so I can quickly sort through different animation sets; it doesn't really affect anything, Zdoom just doesn't like the lump format so it spits out an error. Going to see if I can fix it in the next update.

Haven't quite fixed it yet. :P I'm still not sure why Zdoom doesn't like my marker lumps.

Gifty said:

Yeah, about that:

Haven't quite fixed it yet. :P I'm still not sure why Zdoom doesn't like my marker lumps.

Gifty, there seems to be an issue with your newest version.

i'm playing doom2 reloaded with smooth doom and droplets and sergeants just disappear upon dying

there's only a shotgun instead of the dude with it

puddle of blood and no donor

seems to depend on the death animation used, since not all sergeants disappear.

anyway, it's very distracting, and to make matters worse, i've deleted the previous version already, in the game directory as well as in my archive. do you have a link?

thanks

It seems that the standard shotgunners disappear, while the variants stay, and it's only with droplets loaded. That's really fucking bizarre, I'm not sure what the deal is with that. I'm going to look into this.

I'm pretty sure it's not SD; the cacodemon code used to be more complicated, but at this point pretty much all it does is break the tics up into smaller chunks. The poor bastard probably got stuck on some geometry.

Nice video though, dig your mod setup.

Update! Mostly fixes. There will be chaingunner variant(s) coming soon.

-armor bonus dynamic light now corresponds to sprite animation
-alternate armor bonus now casts dynamic light
-skulls'n'candles prop now casts dynamic light
-fixed fancy torch dynamic lights, cleaned up light code
-shotgunner variants now share improved altdeath
-shotgunner variants now have 8 complete rotations
-improved shotgunner alignments in accordance with SPRFIX1.5
-re-re-re-fixed lost soul aggressiveness level

Neat. I always wondered if they would update the smooth weapon animations mod from a couple years ago. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! As it happens, there was an update to the original PKanims mod with general improvements and optional black gloves. Everything in it is included in Smooth Doom, but it's still worth checking out for people that just want the smooth weapons.

Just wanna let you know I love this mod a ton, my friends don'the really like old video games but I make them play with me sometimes and I was wondering if this mod was possible to play online with GZDoom. Over LAN of course. I know you said it doesn't work with Zandronum and I was wondering if that was because of the source port or because it doesn't work online. Thanks a lot for giving us this work of art haha

I'm not much of a poster in this forum, but I felt like I had to give you my thanks for this great mod. It has massively improved my Dooming experience!

Lopson said:

I'm not much of a poster in this forum, but I felt like I had to give you my thanks for this great mod. It has massively improved my Dooming experience!

welcome, Lopson!

BlackFish said:

https://youtu.be/6sXKtG58QwI?t=500

Pay no attention to the SSG splattering things. That was my doing. :P

i'm paying a lot of attention to this, because i'd like to know how it's done!

Gifty said:

Update! Mostly fixes. There will be chaingunner variant(s) coming soon.

cool ;)

just that strange thing with default shotgunners disappearing has remained. i seem to have "fixed" it with the previous version somehow, at least i didn't see it anymore. now if i just knew how this happened. only by combinations of my mod, apparently.

here's the list of what i've currently loaded with smooth doom, if that matters:

file0=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/pal_plus.wad
file1=C:/Games/GZdoom/lights.pk3
file2=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/SBrightmaps.pk3
file3=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/pk_weapons.wad
file4=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad
file5=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/caulkpc.pk3
file6=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/gz-qtilt.pk3
file7=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/SmoothDoom.pk3
file8=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/droplets_unlimited_v12.pk3
file9=C:/Games/GZdoom/mods/droplets_SDcompat.pk3
file10=C:/Games/GZdoom/PWADS/D2RELOAD.WAD
file11=C:/Games/GZdoom/music/D2RMUS.WAD
file12=C:/Games/GZdoom/hires/jdtp-20140616.pk3

Pirx said:

i'm paying a lot of attention to this, because i'd like to know how it's done!

The supershotgun is using its own damagetype for the puffs.

ss64 A 0 A_PlaySound ("weapons/sshotf", CHAN_WEAPON)
		ss64 A 0 A_FireBullets (11.2, 7.1, 20, 5, "BulletPuffGibby")
		ss64 A 6 A_GunFlash
		ss64 A 3 A_Checkreload
ACTOR BulletPuffGibby : BulletPuff
{
  DamageType Tacos
  }
Then in every monster, they get a custom death state checking to see if they died nearby the player. If they died close enough, they will gib as if the player just blew their brains out. Otherwise the code falls into the normal death state.
			Death.Tacos:	
	TNT1 A 0
	TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfCloser(128, "GibDeath")
	TNT1 A 0
	Death:
		TNT1 a 0 A_JumpIfHealthLower(-30,"Gibdeath")
		BSDS ab 3
		BSDS c 3 A_scream
		BSDS defg 3
		BSDS h 3 A_noblocking
		BSDS ijkl 3
		BSDS m -1 a_bossdeath
		Stop

It is possible to add this as another option for Smooth Doom. The acs check would happen during the monster's damagetype death. It's up to Gifty though if he/she wants this sort of thing though. I'm a huge fan of it and will port it to future versions that I download.

BlackFish said:

It is possible to add this as another option for Smooth Doom. The acs check would happen during the monster's damagetype death. It's up to Gifty though if he/she wants this sort of thing though. I'm a huge fan of it and will port it to future versions that I download.

great stuff, thanks. "shotgun gibs enemies" would be a nice option in the mod's menu.

what Pirx said. I've always wanted to see a mod that makes a shotgun gibs enemies. (not saying you have to though)

How do I install this? What folder do I put it in with Skulltag? when I try to run it, I get

Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/chaingunner/die3
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/melt
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/die
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/die2
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/gib
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/idle
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/missile
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/variant3/pain
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/monsters/zombie/walk
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/bfg.txt
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/black/rifle
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/chaingun
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/fist
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/pistol
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/plasma
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/rocket
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/saw
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/shotgun
Invalid data encountered for texture SmoothDoom.pk3:sprites/weapons/ssgun
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "SmoothDoom.pk3:deco/monsters/zombieman.txt" line 17:
Unexpected token string constant "CasingToggle"

MeetyourUnmaker, this mod only works with ZDoom/GZDoom.

Gifty said:

•This is a Zdoom/GZdoom mod, and will not work with other ports such as Zandronum. Cross-port compatibility isn't planned at this time.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Just wanna let you know I love this mod a ton, my friends don'the really like old video games but I make them play with me sometimes and I was wondering if this mod was possible to play online with GZDoom. Over LAN of course. I know you said it doesn't work with Zandronum and I was wondering if that was because of the source port or because it doesn't work online. Thanks a lot for giving us this work of art haha

I actually have never tested SD online; if you all run the mod simultaneously, it might work. It could also help if you're all running the same options.

Thanks man, I really seriously appreciate that!

I'll consider the SSG gib mutator. It would be a ton of fun, but there's also about eight gazillion other things I've got to do, not even counting the other projects I'm working on right now.