Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Who's going to QuakeCon?

You can bet I will, unless something comes up (which I sincerely hope is not the case). I'll be reporting, as before, and hopefully get some pics in if we're allowed.

Probably not this year. And honestly, I wouldn't expect another appearance from Doom 4 this year. From what they (Bethesda and id) have said, I think they made a relatively small sample of the game, sort of a proof of concept, demoed it for the audience, and now they're going to keep it under wraps for a while while they churn the rest out. Unless they make an announcement months ahead of time like they did last year, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Probably a good thing, they made the mistake of over-exposing Rage in the years leading up to it's release, and people were tired of seeing it by then.

Well, it's pretty much certain they will show the game on E3 so its presence on QC is to be expected. It really depends on what they reveal on E3.

Also, they didn't make the last announcement months ahead but one month ahead.

Touchdown said:

Well, it's pretty much certain they will show the game on E3

Sorry, where did you read this? The only thing I've seen is speculation on what Bethesda is showing at E3. I'm not discounting the possibility, but Bethesda owns a lot more than just Doom, and they haven't even hinted at what they're showing.

I exaggerated it, I admit. But I'd bet money that they will show it. They said it last year that they intend to show it to the public this year and their conference seems like a perfect place for that. Surely they host it to make announcements/reveals and DOOM4 has already been talked about so that makes sense. Secondly, there's this picture:

featuring two DOOM4 characters (Cyber and Revenant). Also, Tiago Sousa (Lead Rendering Programmer at id) will be at E3 as well. So... not confirmed but I absolutely expect it.

Touchdown said:

They said it last year that they intend to show it to the public this year

Who said that? I haven't heard of them saying anything about any future screenings.

What I do know was said (by Pete Hines) in the wake of the Quakecon reveal last year was this:

"And now we're going to go away and go back to making the game, but to be able to counter other people talking about us and we're sort of just sitting here staying silent, or operating from this negative space of like, 'Oh, it got rebooted, oh it's in trouble.' All of that stuff just bothered the hell out of me."

http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-was-revealed-to-counter-fears-of-trouble-at-id-software-public-reveal-unlikely-this-year/

Caffeine Freak said:

Who said that? I haven't heard of them saying anything about any future screenings.

What I do know was said (by Pete Hines) in the wake of the Quakecon reveal last year was this:

"And now we're going to go away and go back to making the game, but to be able to counter other people talking about us and we're sort of just sitting here staying silent, or operating from this negative space of like, 'Oh, it got rebooted, oh it's in trouble.' All of that stuff just bothered the hell out of me."

http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-was-revealed-to-counter-fears-of-trouble-at-id-software-public-reveal-unlikely-this-year/

Well, he also said at the end of the same article when discussing hypothetical public showings “Next year is normally when I think we would've started...” So I think there is a good chance we will see it this year. If they didn't show it, it would be a huge disappointment. I mean, what else are they going show at Quakecon? More Wolfenstein stuff? Some new Rage stuff?

Thanks doom_is_great, I forgot about that. In addition, there's this. Quote:

"This an exclusive thing we are doing for attendees as part of our Annual QuakeCon Welcome presentation. We'll have plenty more to show everyone next year, but we didn’t want another QuakeCon to go by without doing something for the amazing QC community and id supporters that have been with us for more than 20 years."

Wolfenstein doesn't make sense as there's Old Blood coming out next week. Pete Hines confirmed it on QuakeCon that they're focusing the entire company on DOOM4.

It's still sad when I think about it. When I read those quotes last year, I was so pissed. I thought "Next year?! Are you crazy? I thought THIS would be the year of DOOM!" [in terms of media, not release]. I was so disappointed. And now... we're almost in May... and reading the same quotes actually makes me happy "Hey, at least they'll show the game this year, yay!". Meh.