Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LittleInferno

Help with making reloading for a custom weapon

I was making a weapon, and I was going to make it like Hacx's Uzi, where you could fire half your ammunition and it would play a sequence of reloading frames. Or you could fire 2 bullets and it would do the same. How would I make it be able to do that without the gun fire looping or reloading after 4 shots?

You need a dummy inventory counter. Make a dummy inventory item with a certain maximum amount, like this:

actor dummy : inventory { inventory.maxamount 50 }
Then, each time the weapon shots, use A_GiveInventory to give 1 dummy to the player:
TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("dummy",1)
Also, each time the weapon shots, use A_JumpIfInventory to check whether the player already has full amount of the dummy inventory, and if so, perform a jump to your custom reloading animation:
TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("dummy",50,"Reload")
Finally, inside your Reload animation, don't forget to take all dummies from the player, so that the counter will start from 0 again:
TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("dummy",50)
Take all 50 of them - don't worry, the number will never go to negative values. If you try to take more inventory from the player than how much he has, he will end up having 0 of this item.

Thanks. But apparently while trying to figure out where to implement that code (I'm no smarter than a coconut), I found a seemingly simpler way.

Fire:
		UZGN B 4 BRIGHT A_FireCGun 
		BRHT A 2 BRIGHT A_FIRECGun 
		UZGN C 3 BRIGHT A_FireCGun 
		BRHT B 2 BRIGHT A_FireCGun
		UZGN A 0 A_ReFire // You know
		Goto Reload //Goes to reloading frames after you are done firing
	Reload:
		UZGN D 6
		UZGN E 6
		UZGN F 6
		UZGN G 6
		UZGN H 6
		Goto Ready
	}
}			
No more hurdles to go through now, Other than a reloading sound to use, better sprite positioning, and maybe a custom firing sound, which all I know how to do.

Also, a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6ziYtrIIU&feature=youtu.be

If you actually wanted it that simple, you could have looked at the code of Doom's Plasma Rifle. The "Reload" state is not even needed! :)

I was under an impression that you wanted the gun to automatically reload if the player would keep firing for too long time.

Haven't played Hacx, eh? Heh.

Fun fact: I take pictures of toy guns to use when I'm making a custom weapon because I have the drawing skills of a quadruple amputee.

LittleInferno said:

Haven't play Hacx, eh? Heh.

Actually, I did check out HacX 2.0 after reading your original post - and weapon 4 actually behaved exactly as I've assumed in ZDoom, with the counter! That made me assured that I understood what you were talking about, and so I've advised you as I did.

Oh, you were talking about 2.0's version. I was thinking of 1.2 & below, where you could fire all the bullets you wanted and it would still play reloading frames.

Well, as I said, that's how Doom's Plasmagun normally works. And technically, every Doom weapon that used A_Refire - any code after A_Refire is basically "Reload" performed when you stop firing.