Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BMRX

Just some questions...

I don't want to touch on any sour feelings. But it seems like a good amount of the doom community (not just doom world, but who are we kidding DW pretty much is) is fairly touchy about what others do to the game.

I don't want to call it elitism nor do I want to offend for fear of being that FNG that says something dumb... Probably already did.

What's up with that? Am I just stumbling on to threads that seem to stir up a lot of mixed emotion by chance?

I don't want to point fingers at anyone or at any mods in particular but it's pretty brutal... There seems to be a lot of hate towards certain things done with this game.

I understand keeping to the roots, I love this game. I was one of those ninties kids that got to play it over other kids and I thank my parents for not bending over to the will of ESRB ratings and other rumor mills that were happening (I was young so bare with me about the history).

That said, why is it such a touchy subject? Sorry for the vagueness I'm afriad of your wrath.

People can do whatever they'd like with the game. Certain authors and their behavior bother me, but I don't believe they should be stopped from making stuff, or from people's ability to play it.

BMRX said:

I'm afriad of your wrath.

Oh, so I have power over you? :P

BMRX said:

it seems like a good amount of the doom community...is fairly touchy about what others do to the game.

I don't want to point fingers at anyone or at any mods in particular but it's pretty brutal... There seems to be a lot of hate towards certain things done with this game.

I understand keeping to the roots

That said, why is it such a touchy subject? Sorry for the vagueness I'm afriad of your wrath.

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, so I shall take a completely stupid uneducated guess: Did someone make a furry and/or MLP wad?

Quast said:

I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, so I shall take a completely stupid uneducated guess: Did someone make a furry and/or MLP wad?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Brutal Doom.

Oh, so I have power over you? :P

Depends on what corner we're standing on.

Did someone make a furry and/or MLP wad?

A what now?

Is this thread about brutal Doom, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Brutal Doom.

No mods/wads in general, not really touching on any specific one. Though I did put that in there just to see what would come of it. :P

I'm guessing it was my luck that I saw a lot of emotional/mixed feelings over changing things, I've been lurking these forums ever since I have started my nostalgic spree of "games I loved the shit out of as a kid" Doom being a staple, I was quite scared of even posting here for fear of being IP banned and losing access to awesome stuffs.

EDIT/ Just found out what the community chest is... I should note that I have never played anything outside of the original DOOM 1 & 2 WAD's so this is all new to me.

Every community has annoying purists and elitists. Just like there exist fanboys for other games, there exist fanboys for this game. Doom fanboys/purists are no different from other kinds of fanboys. They will insist that any kind of change is always bad. That Doom should only be played pure vanilla. And that any new game released is a piece of shit because it isn't the flawless gem that is Doom.

There is no reason to care what these people think. Just enjoy your game in whatever way you want to.

BMRX said:

Am I just stumbling on to threads that seem to stir up a lot of mixed emotion by chance?

Everyone has his tastes and preferences about maps/wads themes, gameplay and so on. It's normal that people have things that dislike and possibly discuss about it. Actually this is the right place to do this.

hardcore_gamer said:

Every community has annoying purists and elitists. Just like there exist fanboys for other games, there exist fanboys for this game. Doom fanboys/purists are no different from other kinds of fanboys. They will insist that any kind of change is always bad. That Doom should only be played pure vanilla. And that any new game released is a piece of shit because it isn't the flawless gem that is Doom.

There is no reason to care what these people think. Just enjoy your game in whatever way you want to.

Oh I intend to to the fullest, one cannot deny the fact that elitisim exists within every faucet of life, I just wanted to see for my self how much elitism is going on round these parts and if I should bother being a contributing member or just stick to my ever watchful ways.

This welcome I've received is better than I expected.

I <3 you guys.

Doom is cool. People do lots of crazy stuff with the game. Some of it is great, some of it is terrible, some of it is really polarizing for all sorts of reasons. I'm glad there's still so much activity, though, and enough mindsets in the community that we can still argue over things, and make WADs that other people love and hate for reasons X, Y, and Z. It'd be pretty quiet around here if not.

hardcore_gamer said:

I can think of only a small handful of people who've vocally fit that description in the entire time I've been in this community.

Much more common is people being called elitist purists by someone who can't understand that they might just dislike something on its own merits, rather than because they're too curmudgeonly and set in their ways to appreciate how great it really is. ;P

esselfortium said:

Doom is cool. People do lots of crazy stuff with the game. Some of it is great, some of it is terrible, some of it is really polarizing for all sorts of reasons. I'm glad there's still so much activity, though, and enough mindsets in the community that we can still argue over things, and make WADs that other people hate for reasons X, Y, and Z. It'd be pretty quiet around here if not.

I can think of only a small handful of people who've vocally fit that description in the entire time I've been in this community.

Much more common is people being called elitist purists by someone who can't understand that they might just dislike something on its own merits, rather than because they're too curmudgeonly and set in their ways to appreciate how great it really is. ;P

Well put and I try not to judge, as such I'm just going to brush it off as a miss-leading first experience.

Nothing wrong with discussion or passion about why something is great or just bad. I just pick what kind of battles I'll prepare my self for... A community full of more elitists than people with evenly weighed and thought out opinions is something I wish not to be a part of. Hopefully that makes sense.

I know I've seen you in pretty much every thread I've read on these forums essel, you sure do get around!

I think every wad has the right to exist, though it's the public's choice whether or not they want to play it. People who try to exterminate a certain genre of wads that I'm not gonna name (you all know what I'm talking about) are fighting a rather silly war.

Linkrulezall said:

People who try to exterminate a certain genre of wads that I'm not gonna name (you all know what I'm talking about) are fighting a rather silly war.

Is it these mysterious MLP Furry WADS that Quast spoke of earlier?

No, he's talking about Terrywads (and trapwads). They are wads made to surprise and annoy you by ingame offensive vulgar texts or extremely loud or obnoxious sounds.

Oh... I see. Is.. Is there anything clever about the way they annoy you?

I don't know why, but I had the feeling that Linkrulezall is going to mention that when I saw his nickname. I thought it was a completely irrational feeling.

No. The only "clever" thing about them is that their description tries to convince you that they're normal wads. They're aimed to unknowing people who just want to play a wad, and then these wads suddenly reveal their malicious form at the beginning / in the middle of the game. They're usually unplayable or terribly playable on their own right, too.

Back on topic: There is nothing like a community collective mind, the Doom community consists of many different people of many different kinds. There's a spectrum of opinions about everything. You always mainly hear those loudest people, that's natural. No, I don't think the community is touchy / radical / anything. Just some people have their visions, which they have a right to have and speak about them.

scifista42 said:

Back on topic: There is nothing like a community collective mind, the Doom community consists of many different people of many different kinds. There's a spectrum of opinions about everything. You always mainly hear those loudest people, that's natural. No, I don't think the community is touchy / radical / anything. Just some people have their visions, which they have a right to have and speak about them.

Indeed. I'm glad to see such positive reinforcement for the community as a whole this is a great place to be so it seems.

BMRX said:

Indeed. I'm glad to see such positive reinforcement for the community as a whole this is a great place to be so it seems.

Like any community it has its negative moments. But, over all it is one of the better gaming communities out there.

I'm here because I like Doom. I like it a lot. So my natural response to most things that deviate too far off the path of Dooms gameplay elements tends to hurt the quality of most wads in my opinion.

I like my familiar weapons and monsters, predictable monster behavior, powerups, colored keys, etc. I feel less obliged to outwardly speak out against wads that don't follow that rhythm, but I will be less forgiving when its advertised as something id probably be interested in and then it ends up not being like it at all.

DONT HATE THE WAD, HATE THE MAPPA YO

No but seriously, I'm one of those people who thinks Brutal Doom is actually a pretty interesting and entertaining mod, but Mark just has such a... strange attitude. That kind of thing can put a sour taste in your mouth - It doesn't just apply to Doom, same goes for musicians, fighters, etc - I don't care how good you are, if you think you're the hottest shit since sliced bread, you're a fucking dumbass.

I like Brutal Doom's mechanics more than the gore. Then again, the last version I played was v12, so I don't know if it's been made into a clusterfuck that's horribly unbalanced or some shit.

Some of the things like picking up and throwing explosive barrels, increased damage via headshots and stealing enemy weapons (Revenant, Mancubus) are awesome in their own right.

BMRX said:

...elitisim...

ARCHIE has a pretty good level parodying Doom purists and elitists specifically, and the rest of the wad is sort of having a go at everything else.

I'd say Hideous Destructor is more unbalanced than Brutal Doom, considering it's not even intended to be beatable. There's also the stupid fact that a marine walks slower in a combat situation than I do around the house. So much for realism, scrawny old man Adam Savage would be a better protagonist than Destructorguy. The constant screen flashing is also incredibly obnoxious, as are the gross, tinny sound effects.

esselfortium said:

I take it you mean the ones that want the new DOOM (whenever it comes out) to essentially be an HD remake of Doom 1?

hardcore_gamer said:

And that any new game released is a piece of shit because it isn't the flawless gem that is Doom.

I think most people here would agree with that ;-)

However, as far as "pure" Doom goes, so far my calls to institute specialized "keyboard only" and "4-button gamepad only" speedrunning and deathmatch leagues have fallen on deaf ears. 2 hardcore 4 takers, yo.