Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

What is your favorite level(s) on Doom 64?

Altar of Pain, Eye of the Storm, Dark Citadel and Even Simpler.

Dark Citadel, I have just loved that map ever since I played it back in '97, I was 10 years old then.

Dark Citadel too. I dunno why. Just very atmospheric. I'll name some others after I mess around with the game soon.

Dark Citadel, Unholy Temple, Eye of the Storm and the Blood Keep.
And Breakdown, running in those corridors with that music in background; I found it to be very scary when I played it the first time.

Interesting that there is a general consensus about Dark Citadel, which is also a great name for a metal band. Come to think of it, most IWAD Doom maps are great metal names.

These are my favorite maps from Doom 64:

Staging Area
Holding Area
Tech Center
Alpha Quadrant
Final Outpost
Altar of Pain
Dark Citadel
Dark Entires
Watch Your Step
Spawned Fear
Breakdown
Pitfalls

Alter of Pain and Dark Citadel top my list. I need to reply Doom 64 apparently, because I'm having issue thinking of any other stand out maps.

Level 2: The Terraformer (I was completely terrified of the crushing ceilings as a kid, wouldn't go through without invincibility).
Level 8: Final Outpost (although most of my Doom 64 playthroughs stopped here because of that goddamn Yellow Key as a kid)
Level 9: Even Simpler
Level 17: Watch Your Step
Level 20: Breakdown
Level 24: No Escape

The only two levels I really can't stand are Alpha Quadrant (hate doing those jumps on the pillars in that room with the large pit to get the Blue Key opened up) and Dark Entries (Stupid continuous homing missiles in the first room)

Seems like Altar of Pain, Dark Citadel, and Eye of the Storm are big favorites here. Not that I dislike them, but they come off as "Meh" to me.

Dark Entries does have a really difficult beginning, but I think it has one of the more interesting designs, even though it has a lot of traps and is an overall really brutal map.

Dark Entries' homing fireballs are completely avoidable by just standing a bit right and behind the bottom rightmost pillar (probably equally possible behind the leftmost bottom pillar). The rockets coming from the nearest shooter, if you're doing it properly, will explode on the piece of sector they are firing from. The rockets coming from across the room will explode on the pillar(s) in front of you. Quite simple.

When I start the level, I clear out everything I can w/o exiting the starting room. As long as you do not cross the door frame, nothing starts firing at you. It's even possible to snipe some of the nightmare imps between the pillars on each side so that they won't screw with you while you are standing still avoiding the homing rockets.

Dark Citadel - dark, creepy, interesting traps and monster placement
Watch Your Step - music here is so foreboding, great monster battles
In the Void - same music as Watch Your Step as I recall?, really eerie level, the text intro sets it up perfectly without being too cheesy

The secret levels in general I think are awesome. It took me forever to figure out how to get the artifacts, as I recall the last one I figured out was the 2nd one. The whole game is just awesome.