Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

License to Ilya (On IDgames)

MD922 said:

One random thing I found playing AD_79's map was that all the lava do 0 damage... is that intentional or...

That's very much intentional.

So I'm interested in touching up a map, can anyone tell me which ones are currently claimed/not claimed so I can chose wisely?

joe-ilya said:

Resources:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=textfile&word=joe-ilya&sort=time&order=asc&page=1
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?search=1&field=textfile&word=ilya+%22joe%22+lazarev&sort=time&order=asc&page=1
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/66037-doom-0-the-secret-of-the-demon-wip-e1-finshed/

Contributers:
1)du mhan yhu : MAP12 from lost maps
2)Voltcom9 : MAP01 from 1024abc
3)AD_79 : MAP14 from lost maps
4)Doomkid
5)Toxie rocks : steak streak from DMP2013, MAP03 from lost maps 2
6)Cell : MAP02 from lost maps
7)Surreily : MAP06 from lost maps
8)Noisyvelvet : MAP04 from lost maps
9)Dobu gabu maru : MAP26 from nova
10)Joe-ilya : MAP21 from nova
11)Szymanski : MAP03 from doom 0
12)cannonball(?)
13)Joe667 : MAP01 from lost maps
14)Jaxxoon R

I'm thinking of tackling MAP01 of Doom 0. Its simplicity is rather charming, and it serves as a good starting point to learn with.

Hey joe I might miss the May deadline as I've been busy with some other stuff. I promise it's still coming though, as I've got about three areas left to work on.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

I thought this would have been finished or abandoned by now. Would be cool if it got some more mappers.

I'm sincerely hoping that this project eventually becomes a reality still, and I'm looking forward to playing it!

Suitepee said:

I'm sincerely hoping that this project eventually becomes a reality still, and I'm looking forward to playing it!

Maybe if I had some entertainment on my second monitor, like someone raging excessively at revenants, I'd be prompted to map more often *nudgenudge*

Also one more comparison image:

Creative, never looked at this place your way. Looking forward on how you'll make the switch puzzle and the boss fight.

Apart from final monstie placement I'm happy with the map. If anyone wants to test it PM me an email.

@Jaxxoon R: I liked it a lot! Visually appealing and fun to play. Reaching the yellow door was not entirely clear, but I've found it interesting having to figure it out. There's a bug: The translucent brick wall under the first stairs sinks into the floor in software renderer - you need to add light variation between the sides (at least 1 unit) or floor height variation (again, at least 1 unit) to get rid of the problem.

joe-ilya said:

Do you want to keep your map private untll release?

I'll send an updated map over the weekend, feel free to distribute it . Dew and Scifista have provided feedback, the more opinions the better.

In Lee's map I don't understand why so many switches are repeatable even though you use them only once, it looks weird. Ammo balance is uncomfortably tight for my taste.

Szymanski said:

Not quite the weekend yet!

You said "feel free to distribute it", so I took that as an immediate yes. How does it hurt to distribute it now anyways?

Almost done over here!

Spoiler

I made the edge of the blood ocean look nicer.

This is the building in which most of the action takes place.

And here's where you get rockets to blow a ton of imps back to hell.

I still need a few more days to fix some bugs and implement difficulties.

Looks very nice, Surreily! Pay attention for the hanging corpse on the last screenshot, it will block players trying to pass under it in PrBoom-plus.

Am I the only one here who really likes Joe-Ilya (if not his maps) and finds him one of the most vibrant members? And I'm not trying to indicate weird sex-feelings here.

That said, this is actually a good idea for a megawad project and some of the updated work looks amazing. Maybe I'd prefer it if they were a bit more "realistic", i.e. closer to Joe's level, so that Joe and fellow "noobs" (for want of a less condescending word) can actually learn a few things.

It can be inspiring to look through a professional quality map in DB2, but that only lasts until we start trying to emulate it. Unless that's just me being crap.

MajorRawne said:

but that only lasts until we start trying to emulate it

Anything in particular? I've found GZDB's 3d viewer made the arch and exit area in my map quite simple* to get looking right. They would be a major pain ten years ago.

*because I can edit sector properties, textures and offsets on the go

scifista42 said:

Looks very nice, Surreily! Pay attention for the hanging corpse on the last screenshot, it will block players trying to pass under it in PrBoom-plus.

Yeah, I think I'll remove all the hanging corpses (or stick them in areas the player can see but not access). I've seen this problem pop up a couple times already in this thread, and it sucks that I can't use them the way I want to. Anyways, thanks for the reminder :)

Just include a dehacked patch that makes them non-blocking.
Every Doom project should do this.

Szymanski said:

Anything in particular? I've found GZDB's 3d viewer made the arch and exit area in my map quite simple* to get looking right. They would be a major pain ten years ago.

*because I can edit sector properties, textures and offsets on the go

Can't remember the example, it wasn't from this project though. It was a map which had pyramid-like structures hanging from the ceiling which pulsed in rhythm. Despite looking at it in DB2 and even getting instructions for how it was done, I couldn't make it work... probably just me being crap.

There's some 3d stuff by Toke I couldn't emulate, open sectors and strange linedef references. Very messy.