Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ekis Zak

Doomsday Engine Crash

I just installed the Doomsday Engine and whenever I up a game doesn't load up and I get a error message along the lines of "Doomsday has crashed". I'm running 32-Bit Windows 7.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

You need to Update your graphics card driver

Are you a clairvoyant or what?
That error doesn't even remotely give enough information about what is at fault here.

Graf Zahl said:

Are you a clairvoyant or what?
That error doesn't even remotely give enough information about what is at fault here.

Yes i am >:)
That happened to me before when i reinstalled the Os, i Still didn't install anything and i had this crash till i Decided to install the drivers and it worked .

Obligatory "are your IWADs in the folder, have you tried right clicking and running as Administrator" post. Aside from that, this is just flat out weird.

Looks like the classic Windows missing OpenGL driver issue to me.

Doomsday does not require you to copy your IWADs, nor does it need admin access to any of the folders used by default.

Doomkid said:

Obligatory "are your IWADs in the folder, have you tried right clicking and running as Administrator" post. Aside from that, this is just flat out weird.

Tried that, I'll try what DMGUYDZ64 said.

I've also had another problem, but this time it's with GZDoom. Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia and TNT work fine but games like Hexen, Strife or even Chex Quest refuse to start up and I get this error message http://imgur.com/UiR0qbT.

Can you post the entire startup log?
Normally this error means that the engine tries to load some corrupt data and tries to allocate an incorrect amount of memory which fails. I'd need to see what was printed to the log before.

For that you have to start the engine from the command line with 'gzdoom +logfile log.txt'.

Service Pack 1
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Using program directory for storage
Gameinfo scan took 0 ms
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding C:/Users/```/Desktop/Doom/gzdoom.pk3, 587 lumps
adding ./doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Speed: 2328 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz
Family 6, Model 15, Stepping 11
Features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright © Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.26.27
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading default status bar definition.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
I_InitInput
I_StartupMouse
I_StartupKeyboard
I_StartupXInput
I_StartupRawPS2
I_StartupDirectInputJoystick
Warning: 'Object' is freed outside the GC process.

Execution could not continue.

R_OPENGL: Unable to create an OpenGL 3.x render context.

Your hardware does not support OpenGL 3.x.
In that case you have to use 1.8.10, the 2.x builds won't work.

Graf Zahl said:

Your hardware does not support OpenGL 3.x.
In that case you have to use 1.8.10, the 2.x builds won't work.

I'm getting an error message saying "Unsupported OpenGL version.
At least GL 2.0 is required to run GZDoom." I'm on GZDoom 1.8.10

Graf Zahl said:

What kind of graphics hardware do you use?

Sorry for the late reply. i believe it's a ATI Radeon HD2400. I'm running a Dell Optiplex 755 with no new parts.

As far as I know, it is generally possible to use Vista drivers on Windows 7 because the OS is backward compatible. You could try making a system restore point and then install the Vista driver to see if it works. If not, you can simply roll back. Worth a try at least.

DaniJ said:

As far as I know, it is generally possible to use Vista drivers on Windows 7 because the OS is backward compatible. You could try making a system restore point and then install the Vista driver to see if it works. If not, you can simply roll back. Worth a try at least.

I've use the installers I've been given but I they say they've been installed but nothing has changed.

Its probably a long shot but have you tried running the installer in Windows Vista compatibility mode? (Right click -> Properties, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", select Windows Vista)

DaniJ said:

Its probably a long shot but have you tried running the installer in Windows Vista compatibility mode? (Right click -> Properties, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", select Windows Vista)

I'll try that.

There is one other method that I am aware of and that depends on having a "plain" *.inf file for your driver and using the PnPUtil command to install it manually...

However! Do proceed with caution because I've never done that myself and I can't advise you whether its going to work or guarantee anything. If you do decide to try this method then do take the time to understand what you are actually doing before messing about with admin privileges in the guts of your system.

DaniJ said:

There is one other method that I am aware of and that depends on having a "plain" *.inf file for your driver and using the PnPUtil command to install it manually...

However! Do proceed with caution because I've never done that myself and I can't advise you whether its going to work or guarantee anything. If you do decide to try this method then do take the time to understand what you are actually doing before messing about with admin privileges in the guts of your system.

Would this screw up the parts in my PC or just screw up my files.