Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
robotdog1

Unique Quit Message strings?

Maybe something not very important, but I always thought that it was weird that Freedoom still uses the vanilla Doom II Quit message strings. Maybe we could change them to something more fitting for Freedoom using DeHacked.

What does "fitting for FreeDoom" really mean, though? The current ones are pretty basic, minus the ones that specifically mention demons.

I suppose more insults could work. Or just jokes regarding Freedom, etc...

scifista42 said:

You cannot change quit messages via DEHACKED.

Yep. That's the main reason they haven't been changed already. Don't think you can do it with BEX either.

There might be some way to do it through ZDoom extensions. We already have a MAPINFO lump for FreeDM.

EDIT: Looks like you can change it using MAPINFO or LANGUAGE. Probably the latter would be best.

May as well write new obituary messages while we're at it. IIRC, several people have written some in past threads.

let me join:

Please don't kill me the code is IDDQD, Press Y to kill.

Never mess whit AGM again, Press Y to run.

Don't leave yet there is survivors waiting for you, Press N to rescue.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

"The 10 day trial of Freedoom has expired. Press N to go Pro"

Trial versions are so last century. "Press Y to pay $6.99 for a 5-map expansion pack."

fraggle said:

Yep. That's the main reason they haven't been changed already. Don't think you can do it with BEX either.

Don't the various ports already have code that detects Freedoom IWAD's? If so, using an alternate set of quit messsages should be trivial.

"Are you sure you want to quit? Press Y to confirm."

What, not funny enough? :p

hex11 said:

Don't the various ports already have code that detects Freedoom IWAD's? If so, using an alternate set of quit messsages should be trivial.

You mean after all these ports get updated again to know to display Freedoom-specific quit messages when running Freedoom IWADs? I wouldn't call it trivial.

hex11 said:

Better that it's not hard-coded into every single source port though.

DragonMorpheus said:

"This is a free project! At least have the courtesy to keep playing!"

i like this one, it makes it sound all tsundere-ish, it just needs a hmph! or b-baka! at the end