Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

Will this eventually have multiplayer support? I really like the port, and playing co-operative on it with friends or deathmatch would be a fun thing.

Denzoa said:

Will this eventually have multiplayer support? I really like the port, and playing co-operative on it with friends or deathmatch would be a fun thing.

Glad you like it. At this stage, though, I have no plans on supporting multiplayer and am focusing strictly on singleplayer.

Denzoa said:

Zandronum is the best way to play multiplayer. It's best to play to the advantages of the source ports, there is no 1-size-fits-all port.

Been playing Zan ever since Skulltag 96f, it's slowly dying though, all the mods nowadays have ruined the vanilla experience you got out of Hell Revealed 1/2, AV, scythe and so on.

So I was looking for a different port that felt good qua vanilla gameplay but also had some settings that I prefer for personal reasons, like an uncapped fps and a good mouse input system etc.

And this port has that, + ofcourse some other settings wich I didn't really need but actually kinda like having in, for example the shadows some items and monsters cast, makes it feel like a newer experience although playing as close as possible to vanilla doom.

Holy shit take all my money haha. This is the best source port in the history of Doom. Thanks for this :)

Edit: I found one glitch, I think, in Map05 of Doom2 the monsters constantly walk on the windows. Did they do this originally or did you change their step height?

Hi all! I've just released DOOM RETRO v1.7.1. It's a small point release but does include a significant number of changes. As always, visit doomretro.com for the download and release notes.

Wow, was just about to check and see if DR updated at all. What timing!

EDIT: It would be cool to see Doom Retro get the new(ish) frames for the zombies that was included in the sprite fix project not too long ago.

I don't post here much, but I wanted to say thanks for your work on this - it has become my go-to Doom playing experience for the last couple of weeks. I don't normally use source ports much (mostly a vanilla player), but this one seems to "hit the spot" for me currently.

I have a suggestion. I really fucking love this port in fact I haven't used Chocolate Doom in a while because of this but I am bothered by the way liquid works. I hate it so much, can you please make an option that toggles vanilla liquid on and off, there is a glitch in MAP09 of Plutonia where you can't get the first key because of how liquid behaves. It also causes many other minor graphical glitches I'd rather live without, thanks!

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

I have a suggestion. I really fucking love this port in fact I haven't used Chocolate Doom in a while because of this but I am bothered by the way liquid works. I hate it so much, can you please make an option that toggles vanilla liquid on and off, there is a glitch in MAP09 of Plutonia where you can't get the first key because of how liquid behaves. It also causes many other minor graphical glitches I'd rather live without, thanks!

Glad you like it! The enhancements to liquid sectors can be toggled on/off using the r_liquid_animatedheight and r_liquid_clipsprites cvars in the console (accessible by pressing the ~ key). That said, gameplay shouldn't be broken by having them enabled. I'll check out the map you mention and see what can be done about it. Thanks.

PimPamPet said:

I don't post here much, but I wanted to say thanks for your work on this - it has become my go-to Doom playing experience for the last couple of weeks. I don't normally use source ports much (mostly a vanilla player), but this one seems to "hit the spot" for me currently.

You're welcome!

Platinum Shell said:

Wow, was just about to check and see if DR updated at all. What timing!

EDIT: It would be cool to see Doom Retro get the new(ish) frames for the zombies that was included in the sprite fix project not too long ago.

Sorry for the delayed response (missed your edit). Including said sprites would perhaps be a copyright infringement, which is something I'd rather avoid in a source port.

Oh look! This thread is now all sticky! Thanks to the mod who made that happen...

Also this is just a dumb question: Have you thought of adding Boom support? I know that it is outside of your original goals where you said this would be vanilla but I would love a fork of Pr-Boom called Doom Retro 2. It's just my opinion though, I don't know if other people would even want it

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Also this is just a dumb question: Have you thought of adding Boom support? I know that it is outside of your original goals where you said this would be vanilla but I would love a fork of Pr-Boom called Doom Retro 2. It's just my opinion though, I don't know if other people would even want it

Brad is already working on Boom support :-D

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

As VGA pointed out, Boom compatibility is coming. It will be in the next version, v1.8.

Linguica said:

I checked the code to make sure the port actually had the new MBF code pointers, and it seems to, so you should know what http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/73137-ruffian-roulette-roll-the-dice-reap-the-change/ doesn't work in Doom Retro.

Wow! Awesome work! After a quick test, it seems it works fine with the latest build of DR.

You know what would be really cool? If you added a console command that forced pistol start, meaning it took all your weps and ammo expect for the pistol and 50 clips. It could be achieved by typing pistol_start or something like that.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

You know what would be really cool? If you added a console command that forced pistol start, meaning it took all your weps and ammo expect for the pistol and 50 clips. It could be achieved by typing pistol_start or something like that.

You can use "kill player" to suicide and then you pistol-start the map. It's the same thing.

Or when launching Doom Retro and using the "-warp MAP20" parameter you can start that map directly and that's a pistol start.

Just “kill” is enough. I tought once it would show me parameters but instead it killed me.

Krazov said:

Did original Doom also kept inventory when idclevving?

No, that's why I'm asking.

Doom Retro keeps the inventory/health when idcleving. I think it's for the better, since it's more noobfriendly. Suiciding can get you pistol start.

fabian said:

No, that's why I'm asking.

I never thought it to be unusual but a decade of playing exclusively with ZDoom made me unaware of vanilla in many aspects.

Brad, have you ever considered disabling the horizontal autoaim? Sometimes it can screw the player over by having a rocket blast on a wall because it guided the rocket to the left or right by autoaim.

Also, in open spaces it's hard to lead targets. You want to fire a rocket in front of them as you kite them around but the autoaim fires it right at them.

Don't underestimate the comfort of having horizontal autoaim. Even though it's seemingly subtle mechanic, absolutely most of the time it helps you more than you imagine, particularly when fighting vertically misplaced enemies. The rare occasions when it betrays you are comparatively nothing. You shouldn't want to disable it.

scifista42 said:

You shouldn't want to disable it.

This sounds uncomfortably like a commandment.

scifista42 said:

Don't underestimate the comfort of having horizontal autoaim. Even though it's seemingly subtle mechanic, absolutely most of the time it helps you more than you imagine, particularly when fighting vertically misplaced enemies. The rare occasions when it betrays you are comparatively nothing. You shouldn't want to disable it.

Maybe you're right. Hmmm, maybe only disable horizontal autoaim for the rocket launcher?

The horizontal autoaim for projectile weapons is easily the most annoying gameplay mechanic in Doom.

Edit: the way it ought to work, I think, is to look slightly horizontally when finding a target to aim for vertically, but without actually changing the horizontal direction of the projectile.