Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liam

The /newstuff Chronicles #87

Four nice new wads this week, including a brand new 9-level Doom 2 episode. Yeah, I'm late again before you say it. Stop waiting until late Saturday afternoon to upload your maps or I will send an army of elite lizard warriors to flay the skin from your bones.

Fountain of Pain by frwl - - Fountain of Pain is the author's first map... and uh, heh, well, it's a first map! This one's a DM map replacing Doom 2 Map01. The fragging here takes place in two main areas connected by teleports: one terribly textured marble/stone/vine courtyard (with a gigantic 'fountain' in the middle), and a small series of tech base rooms. Unfortunately though, there's more than enough silly gameplay quirks and balance issues to keep me from wanting it on a ZDaemon server. First off, the courtyard is almost stupidly spacious for a dm arena. An easy-to-reach plasmagun makes the tech base area a haven for fagot campars. Just grabbing a single-shotgun requires a 10-second hike up an extremely narrow spiral staircase. If you dare attempt to grab a rocket launcher, you may accidentally find yourself falling into a teleport leading to a tiny cage near the fountain, in which case you can do nothing but sling rockets around like an idiot and hope you get a frag before your opponent(s) notice you're helpless (which is harder than it should be due to the large amount or ROCKET EATING WALLS). Though, if I've sparked your interest somehow, it couldn't hurt to spend 10 minutes in it with Skulltag or OPNdoom.

The Highlands by Alex Parsons - - Feels like I've been here before, feels so familiaaar, feels like I'm slippin... *ahem* ok I'll stop. Despite the feeling of deja-vu caused by the fact that the map looks almost exactly like his previous work 'Outlands', I found Alex Parsons' newest offering a blast to play. The minute you spawn in this SP_ROCK1 fortress you'll be assaulted by a pack of Revenants, and it'll take some MaD sTrAfErUnNiNg SkIlLz to find safe haven. From that point on you'll have to fight your way past tunnels packed with imps, cliffs and ledges guarded by sniping chaingunners, a pesky cacodemon squad from beyond, and enough revenants to make you start hearing their screeching battle cries in your sleep. The monster count on UV is frightening considering the size of the map, but with some speedrunning experience and the aid of a megasphere or two, you'll make it out alive. Oh, and someone record a 100% kills demo for extra love and kisses from Liam. Advanced Doom port recommended.

Flow Form by Jason "Hellbent" Root - - A gem of a Doom 2 DM map, Flow Form offers perfectly balanced deathmatch play (for one-on-one or ffa games) and a unique, nonlinear map design. It kinda looks like a stone ruin or something, but that DOESN'T REALLY MATTER because there's NO stupid dead-end hallways, NO plasma spam, NO powerup hoarding, and NO retarded nukage pools. The Doom2.exe instant lift trick rocks here too, even though it's implementation is simple. Also, the botplay rules. Hellbent knows his game so download this now, and then download all his other maps and play them instead of Dwango 5 plz, thnx.

One Bloody Night by Erik Alm - - I hope you like your quickload button. I'm finishing this joyous week off with a 9 map Doom 2 episode, Map01 - Map09. There's some particularly cool maps in this one, including one of the best town/city maps I've seen in a while, a sweet Map29 knockoff, and a particularly cool Icon of Sin arena. Although the maps generally look great, the wad is so challenging you may have trouble surviving to take in all of the scenery. The last few maps will leave even experienced doomers in a pile on the concrete under their apartment window. Though, if it's too hard for you on UV I highly recommend you swallow your pride and step down a difficulty level or two, it's worth it. Insaaaane props to Erik for doom2.exe compatibility and for resisting the temptation to teleport in Hell's entire revenant population every time you snag a soulsphere or a key. Music replacements ranging from 'swank' to 'repetitve' to 'irritating' included. Can't wait to see some demos for this one. Absolutely recommended.

It would be interesting to develop a demopack for Erik's episode; I agree that those are high quality levels with Hell Revealed style difficulty. It was also interesting to recognize the various music replacements that he used (mostly from snes rpgs, to my knowledge).

fyrestorm said:

into a dream within a dream.

WOW THAT IS COWWECT YOU WIN THE PRIZE HERE IT IS A DVD COPY OF THE STREET FIGHTER MOVIE ENJOY

Yes I'm very much enjoying 'One Bloody Night' very nice.I've been recording with Legacy as usual,no problems with maps 1-4 but map 5 just won't record with either Legacy or ZDoom for some strange reason.It de-syncs with Legacy, same place everytime, and crashes with ZDoom, so I had to record with Doom2.exe.Any ideas why?

I know this is supposed to be about newstuff, but the Chronicles didn't exist when I uploaded my first level, cuit.zip.

I know that levels based on real places aren't the best, but I would appreciate some feedback about it. (be gentle, please.) :-)

Thanks,
David

yo, i have two small levels, but i dont know how to post them........

Played Bloody night yesterday, and I'm wondering: Why did Erik decide not to finish the megawad, cos it would have been class!

Nice and easy to start with, perhaps a bit over the top in the city level (ie. cyberdemons in close quarters behind the blue key) but a great looking and hard city level, and the gothic/hell style levels at the end are extremely difficult and good looking as well.

Overall a very good wad. Haven't played the other one yet, but will soon...

Erik I tried recording map 5 again with Doom2.exe...same problem, the lmp goes outta sync.I complete the first area before the narrow passage way,kill the Revenants on either side and the rabble behind the bars up top.Now I attract the attention of the Cacos...and this is where it always goes wrong...I've completed the map 8 times and have no lmp to show for it:(
So it's got to be something with that area, have you recorded it yourself?

Brutally modest in his .txt, but this is one seriously good collection of maps. I loved the Main Base! I don't think I can do the last two on UV but I'm trying!

Well done Erik, please keep making great maps!

hmm, I'll check out map05 later tonight and try to locate the problem. Where can I grab your demos magikal? =)

Erik said:

hmm, I'll check out map05 later tonight and try to locate the problem. Where can I grab your demos magikal? =)

I'll send you 1-6 so you can see whereabouts in 5 it goes.

Rich Sham fixed the map05 problem for me. I'll upload a fixed version shortly. Thanks a lot Rich!

Erik said:

Rich Sham fixed the map05 problem for me. I'll upload a fixed version shortly. Thanks a lot Rich!

Yup,thanx Rich:)

One Bloddy Night: A very very good level set. Unfortuanatley I had to swallow my pride and play on Hurt Me Plenty but overall probably the best level pack in the New Stuff Chronicles for quite a few weeks.

Cuit: As requested by David here is a review for Cuit.wad . It took me a while to find it at the archives(It is a Doom Level and not a Doom II Level) Unfortuantly it wasn't really worth my time trying to find the level since this level is fairly poor IMO. Don't get me wrong, its a great first effort, definatley better than mine IMO. However it is very easy to see that this was the Authors first map. He has obviously spent alot of his time experimenting with the various tricks and traps the Doom2.exe can do but with no overall theme. I personally would like to see the author make a new level since I feel if he manages to stick to a central theme and adds a bit more detail he could become a good level designer.

magikal, Please post the LMPs for one Bloddy night on your page when you get them done to your satisfaction. Damn I love watching those, your others rock!! I love to see a great player kick alien butt.
Thanks.

Searcher said:

I love to see a great player kick alien butt.

I always thought it were demons you kill in doom - silly me :)
One Bloody Night is indeed very cool, has a good flow, looks cool (/me senses understatement in Erik's txt. file :)) Kinda hard but not impossible. Keep on mapping Erik.

I always thought it were demons you kill in doom - silly me :)

No, not silly you. Silly him :)

Why did Erik decide not to finish the megawad, cos it would have been class!

It was a joint project between him and Fredrik "Vrack" Johansson, but Fredrik's disappeared or something.

I was doing a couple of levels for the project too, they should be released fairly soon.

NiGHTMARE said:

It was a joint project between him and Fredrik "Vrack" Johansson, but Fredrik's disappeared or something.

Fredrik is on summer vacation.

Liam the Bard said:

Fredrik is on summer vacation.

I hope it's nothing to do with the hard time he was given in the forums recently. That would be a great loss.

No it has to do with the fact that I had 11 levels finished for the project and fredrik had one. I had tired working on it and it was very unlikely that fredrik would do 10 levels or so in the near future. In total there were 14 levels more or less finished for this project. 11 by me, 2 by NIGHTMARE and 1 by fredrik. I scrapped one level, gave one to another project and released the remaining 9, end of story.

Searcher said:

magikal, Please post the LMPs for one Bloddy night on your page when you get them done to your satisfaction. Damn I love watching those, your others rock!! I love to see a great player kick alien butt.
Thanks.

If you want to see great players I'd go to Compet-N.I've posted maps 1-7 if you wanna look.Thanks for your comments:)

magikal you are just to modest. Some of the stuff I have seen you get into and out of makes me cringe and try to jump out of the way in your LMPs.

An increbible run through Industrial.wad

I think it's funny how you turned this place into an unnavigable shithole full of shitty, ignorant people who can't leave this place without calling their parents to come pick them up. I'm glad I got banned from this dump. Do these people wear sunglasses in the dark, go topless in front of their mothers and disagree that the Germans started WW1, too? Idiots. You'll all work for me someday. Some of you probably already do.

G'night.

angelfire.com/realm/silvericarus

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL DO NOT FEED THE TROLL AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.