Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

Wad Sound Issues

So I was planning to do something silly with one of the old Sailor Moon Doom mods from the 90s for my youtube playlist, and I found a weird issue that's been driving me nuts: the custom sounds in the wad don't play. The graphics replacements work, but the sound replacements don't: it just uses the stock Doom sounds.

And yet, when I open the wad in XWE, the custom sounds are all there! What the hell?

I was wondering if anyone had the same sound issue with other old Doom wads, and if they know what the cause is, and if there's a way to fix it. Does it have to do with the source port used?

I've played many 90's Doom wads but have never had this happen. Have you tried the wad in multiple source ports? Are the sounds named properly? Send me a link and Ill try to work it out, sounds like a very annoying bug.

The sounds and music are between S_START and S_END markers, which they shouldn't be (it's a namespace for sprites only). Move them out of there. I did it, and it helped. Some patches and menu graphics are also between S_START and S_END markers - move them to proper namespaces (patches between P_START and P_END, graphics out of any markers).

The 90s were a simpler time when only sprites, flats, and map lumps needed be in their respective namespaces, patches didn't have a namespace at all, and everything else could go anywhere it wanted. I consider it a bug for such freedoms to restricted in modern ports.

Man, I tried opening the wad in xwe before, but it didn't even occur to me that S_START and S_END were the problem. That totally fixed the issue, so thanks fellas!

I might try fixing this mod up a bit as long as I have to conduct surgery on it.

Fixed the wad and ended up remixing it. I combined three Sailor Moon Doom mods into one, and even made some new weapon pickup sprites from scratch.

Get it here.