Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

How will Doom 4 depict Hell?

Well, I think that Doom's hell is in good hands then. Should be very hellish indeed. It better put every other hell ever made to shame.

The first 4-5 levels should be set in Medieval Hell: You start on the Outskirts and scale the Walls in the first level, enter the Fortress in the second, enter the Dungeons in the third. You are then in a massive Gothic Cathedral and after that you find yourself in the Catacombs. The atmosphere is heavily reminiscent of the second episode from the latest version of Demon Eclipse and Heretic.

After that you are in the organic part of Hell where you are swallowed by the Leviathan. In there you will have to navigate its bowels for the next two levels where you will even find dangerous pools of digestive acid, swallowed castles and other structures and lots of disgusting environments.

Finally you are in the Hell-Tech part where the demons have made huge factories churning out Revenants, Mancubi, Arachnotrons and Cyberdemons. It is an amalgamation of flesh, black magic and stolen UAC technology.

The weapons in this episode should follow the progression of the levels. The 4 basic weapons are magical, The rocket launcher is a fleshy device that spews acid balls. On the technological side you have some kind of demonic plasma rifle and the BFG. In this episode, you get demonic souls from killing enemies which will let you upgrade your weapons once you have enough. Once you finish a level you find yourself in a Mario 3 style world map where you get to choose your next objective. There are also bonus levels that you can access by finding keys in levels. These levels are based on fun gimmicks like Tricks and Traps or Barrels of Fun and the longer you survive the better the Demonic Soul rewards will be.

I for one am not interested in generic fire-and-brimstone environments, even though there are a number of very sexy Hell-themed user maps. The Doom reveal was progressive, visually, much as Doom 3 was. But Doom 3 took several steps backwards with an inelegant, clumsy looking Hell. This is in total contrast to the cleaner look of Doom 64's geometry.

Technological limitations forced the classic Dooms to utilIze relatively simplistic layouts, which when implemented well (as in Doom 64), are more aesthetic than crumbling dungeons that look hobbled together. I want to see neo-Doom really go the extra mile and imply that there is a sophisticated designer at work.

Ultimately, I think it's best for them to depict a different type of hell besides the typical fire & brimstone, meat moss and hell-tech which we have seen in Doom time and time again.

Will it even have hell? It already looked like an afterthought in Doom 3, regardless if it was one or not.

First screenshot looks like Quake. I'd rather they save that for Quake 5.

printz said:

Will it even have hell? It already looked like an afterthought in Doom 3, regardless if it was one or not.

First screenshot looks like Quake. I'd rather they save that for Quake 5.

Uuuuh, it's Doom 64.

Hell? Think Oblivion... which got their version of Hell from Enclave. Thieving assholes.

@ Piper Maru

Way too fucking cool.
Primary structures are a thing of the past. That's absolutely as I would like to see Hell in fashion.
But unfortunately it will rather be cramped and unorganized and there will be no bold design. In a bad way featureless.

You will not get a giant symmetrical temple structure, no bold stone-pillars or anything the like. It's just too primary. And modern sense of aesthetics do not allow that, at least I won't see that coming :(

I love the fact that Doom depended on strong primary color's to depict the sense of closing in to hell or being at a powerful out-of-this-world place. Complex structures will never be able to provoke that sense of claustrophobia and intimidation as primary shapes do.

I would love to see a huge hell level. I want to feel small when I'm there. And I agree with some of you, typical fire and bones aren't good enough anymore. I want to see some disturbing stuff.

I think the most important thing for Hell will be to make it more dynamic, with more tortured souls instead of just demons. There should be more moving objects in the environment.

I think it would be cool to see huge walls of bodies or hands, like in Labrynth:

I liked the floating chunks of rock over an endless abyss. Doom 3 did a great job in that part of the game. My only complaint, was that they should have extended it.

I'd be fine if it was like Doom 3 basically. Especially like the In Hell mod.

Doom 64's was kinda cool but very blocky and could've used more craziness. The engine wasn't quite as good at organic shapes which is why I think the tech levels in DooM were my favorite over Hell, except for some of the more recent mods.

Dark tower was one of my favorites in DooM 64 with the music and starry sky atmosphere.

Also some stuff like the Hellraiser movie. Also some really trippy stuff like floating in the middle of a nightmarish void or strange alien geometries like something you'd read about in H.P. love craft stories, which Quake sort of did.

Hopefully it'll be full of color and not a bunch of uniform brown and orange lava going on. It's their chance to go really crazy since it doesn't have to be realistic like a city level might possibly have to be.

potnop said:

I'd be fine if it was like Doom 3 basically. Especially like the In Hell mod.

Doom 64's was kinda cool but very blocky and could've used more craziness. The engine wasn't quite as good at organic shapes which is why I think the tech levels in DooM were my favorite over Hell, except for some of the more recent mods.

Dark tower was one of my favorites in DooM 64 with the music and starry sky atmosphere.

Also some stuff like the Hellraiser movie. Also some really trippy stuff like floating in the middle of a nightmarish void or strange alien geometries like something you'd read about in H.P. love craft stories, which Quake sort of did.

Hopefully it'll be full of color and not a bunch of uniform brown and orange lava going on. It's their chance to go really crazy since it doesn't have to be realistic like a city level might possibly have to be.

Dark Tower?

I hope someone gets my joke.

I just hope that hell along with the demons in the game actually reference Occultism. I'm dying for a Doom game that does just that.

Undead Merc said:

I just hope that hell along with the demons in the game actually reference Occultism. I'm dying for a Doom game that does just that.

Reference occultism? You want the Baron of Hell put on reading glasses and read you verses from the thelema or some shit?

Occultism has no relation to Satanism, people tend to get the two confused.

I'd love a hell like in Diablo 2, where you're left alone to survive on a nightmarish rocky desert, full of restless souls (depicted as twitching bodies) and extremely tough monsters. It needs to be different from the real world, and I think Doom 1 and 2 failed it (UAC doors in hell?), whereas Doom 3 was better at it (albeit too short to sink in).