Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Cheap Windows 8 tablets

Can anyone recommend one? Under £100.

They're so cheap I thought I might as well get one, as I have no other experience of Win 8 at this time, and out of curiosity (I am otherwise Android; tablets and phone).

Tech Radar say the Linx 7 isn't entirely horrible. The 8 inch screen version is only £90 from Amazon now.

Surface 1s are dirt cheap. Last I saw one it was $50. Microsoft couldn't sell their stock. They lost a few hundred million on their stock after claiming oh we're sold out... cuz we're awesome! Trying to find the stories Google is full of garbage selling surface 3s for $150 or whatever.

Start here at Walmart >> http://www.walmart.com/tp/tablets-under-100?facets=operating_system%3AMicrosoft+Windows

You don't have to buy from there, but now you know the prices. Looks like 6 under $100

Thanks dude, just to note for all I'm in the UK.

We do sort of have Walmart here, via Asda, I'm going up there this afternoon I may see what they have in store.

Woops yeah Euro totally isn't USD. It might be tougher over there. Now you know what to look for I guess. Which models are willing to be cheaper.

geo said:

Woops yeah Euro totally isn't USD. It might be tougher over there. Now you know what to look for I guess. Which models are willing to be cheaper.

Pounds, POUNDS STERLING MY DEAR BOY, not those dastardly Euros.

£££££££££££££££££££

Well I bought a Linx 8 refurbished on eBay for £62 but it is basically new, and had an unused office 365 licence. I'm using it now.

Win 8 clearly has plenty I'll have to get used to, and I'm really not convinced about how well the hybrid desktop/tablet interface works, but I'm staggered by the value and performance of the hardware.

pritch said:

Pounds, POUNDS STERLING MY DEAR BOY, not those dastardly Euros.

£££££££££££££££££££

LOL You're so right wow I really embarrassed myself on this thread. I'm glad to see you got something for the price you wanted. As for Windows 8, people complain about it and its just like using a Windows 8 phone or any phone in general. There's even a way to roll back the interface so its more like traditional Windows. Just like Windows 95 had Windows 3.1's interface somewhere in there.

Every new Windows OS:
"new is always better"
"haters gonna hate"
"it's not that bad"
"stop disliking what I like"
"wow you luddite good luck living in the past"
"you can do everything exactly like before, all you need is to go through these steps you didn't need to before"

While it's best to assume ignorance before malice, I could easily believe some self-proclaimed Windows apologists are clever trolls, because those "pro" arguments give me less confidence in the software than any legitimate complaint against it.

I guess this is because people who have a bone to pick will name whatever change is a problem to them, which might not necessarily be an issue to me. Whereas apologists make blanket dismissals of any concern, implying my experience is irrelevant.

People should learn to praise what they like instead of tearing down what others prefer, it's a lot more convincing.

pritch said:

Well I bought a Linx 8 refurbished on eBay for £62 but it is basically new, and had an unused office 365 licence. I'm using it now.

Win 8 clearly has plenty I'll have to get used to, and I'm really not convinced about how well the hybrid desktop/tablet interface works, but I'm staggered by the value and performance of the hardware.

I'm not a big fan of the interface but I can see it's merit for a tablet for mfactor. First thing I did after I upgraded my brother's pc from XP to 8.1 was install Classic Shell.

Funnily enough I just bought a Windows tablet for the same reasons (curiosity and cheapness). I'd never had a tablet so I was unsure what to expect.

I spent a bit more and ended up handing over £150 for an Asus Transformer. It was more than the £100 I had planned but it came with it's own keyboard and a Samsonite carrying case. Having the clip on keyboard has made the learning curve of Windows 8.1 a little easier but I can't say I'm overly impressed. The desktop interface just seems to have a lot of changes for changes sake... almost like a reluctant concession to the public. Kinda like "well, we suppose you can have a desktop interface but we're going to change the Start button behaviour just to bug you - so there!"

The hardware is much more impressive though. It's so snappy. Much more responsive than I thought it would be. Once I got used to the Metro interface I found navigating to be pretty pleasant.

All in all, I'm pretty happy. I've got a really handy comic book reader and a little snappy netbook for Doom as well as a very portable media player all in a nice case for £150. Not too bad. :)