Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

impossible to connect to archives.gamers.org with filezilla

It's always been a rarity for me to be able to connect with an ftp client to upload wads, regardless of the time of day I try to upload (I'm on Mountain Time in the US), but lately it's just been impossible. I got tired of getting the "too many connections" message when I tried to upload, so I double-checked the faq, and saw that apparently if I make a site entry for /idgames, plug in the host, and set the connection limit to 1, I should be fine.

Nope. The only difference was that it failed to connect after 20 seconds instead of 5 during the login attempt. Didn't even make it far enough to get a failed upload.

So I changed the site settings again, switching from "anonymous" login to "ask for password". Next time I tried to connect, it worked right away, without asking for a password. Well, it let me connect anyway, so who am I to complain?

Still fails to upload anything. Apparently one connection is too many simultaneous connections. I'm at my wit's end here.

^But that's a different problem - Ty's absence. I can still connect to /idgames, login, navigate to /pub/idgames/incoming (I did it right now), and presumably submit files too (only that nobody is there to process them).

Memfis said:

How did you limit the number of connections? You should do it like explained in this post by Bloodshedder: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1125421

I did it basically just like that, unless I didn't enter the site correctly. This thread says to make a new entry for /idgames, so that's what I called the entry. I dunno if that was correct or not, but everything else I did as directed, except I also had to add the archives.gamers.org host since it required the host before I could click OK.

Although if Ty took a leave of absence, I guess it doesn't matter what I upload until he gets back.

Also, hi Memfis. Apparently my maps are so similar to yours that some people on idgames (according to some of the comments) think I'm a dupe account, which I find weird and funny. Dunno if I see the mapping style connection between us though, especially if you've been at it way longer than I have. I took it as a compliment regardless.

Impie said:

Still fails to upload anything. Apparently one connection is too many simultaneous connections. I'm at my wit's end here.

It's probably a matter of waiting for the server to forget about your other connection attempts, ten minutes seems to be the norm.

I also had to add the archives.gamers.org host since it required the host before I could click OK.

ftp.gamers.org will also work as a host setting. For convenience, you could also set /pub/idgames as the default remote directory (it's one of the Advanced setting in Site Manager) instead of navigating from the root directory.

Impie, that's pretty interesting. :) I guess these commenters don't read the forums, which make it pretty clear that we are two different people.

But actually I've been contemplating creating an alias for a while. I think it would be nice to be able to post a map without people immediately having certain expectations from seeing my nickname. Would be nice if people could look at my wads with a fresh and perhaps more honest mind (at least when I see a new level by a mapper I like, I already want to enjoy it and in a way that influences my perception). I'm just not sure if I'll be able to hide my typical traits well enough. It's actually very hard to do imo. Most people don't understand what exactly makes their style recognizable. Like in Russian speedmapping contests all authors remain anonymous during the voting stage, yet usually it's very easy to recognize almost everyone and then they're all like "how the hell did you know?".

Btw nowadays to avoid problems with this "too many connections" thing I just upload everything via cmd.exe as explained in "10." in that post you linked to. Always works fine.

Memfis said:

I guess these commenters don't read the forums, which make it pretty clear that we are two different people.

Or have you been talking to yourself THIS WHOLE TIME?!?

I'll give cmd.exe a try next time and see if there's any difference. Havent tried a non-GUI interface yet.

If no idgames. I will release my future wads directly on to my website instead. This is looking likely (right now) with my next wad Doomed Space Wars.

I have had the same problem, but apparently when it says the upload fails and says too many connections then disconnects you it actually did upload the file. At one point in time I uploaded the same wad 20 times because I thought it failed every single time.

Just email bloodletter or w/e his name is (sorry i'm bad with names =[) and ask if your files actually uploaded.

Unholypimpin said:

Just email bloodletter or w/e his name is (sorry i'm bad with names =[) and ask if your files actually uploaded.

No point emailing Bloodshedder, AFAIK maintaining the master server isn't one of his jobs. You could try asking Xymph.

Impie said:

Or have you been talking to yourself THIS WHOLE TIME?!?

Maaaybe. I guess one of the trickiest parts of using an alias is deciding how to react to the alias' work from your original account. Should you praise it, criticize it, ignore or something else? What would be the least suspicious?

Maybe I indeed have an alias and it's just that no one has yet realized it...