Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Will Doom 4 have music like Doom 1 and 2?

Since apparently the new Doom will try to appeal to nostalgia, do you think it will also have action music like that from Robert Prince? What does GoatLord know; I believe he went to that private converence?

No it won't.

Also for the hundreth time, people keep asking stuff answered months ago. I clicked on GoatLords thread literally a few steps away from the top of the D4 section and found the answer within 5sec.

Well well. Doom 2 has lounge or restaurant jazz music. Perfect for the urban ambience it tried to comvey. Maybe Doom 4 will be this too.

As for me asking the same dumb question: hey, it's wishful thinking! Maybe an id executive sees threads like this and changes his mind with the music and bosses his people to make it like in Doom 1 and 2…

We've already had a discussion about music in DOOM4.

At the end of the day the music should be handled appropriately to the rest of the game, not be 'oldschool' for the sake of oldschool. If a game throws realism out of the window in terms of tone and setting (Painkiller, ROTT13) you can get away with a collection of cool tracks. But for a proper AAA title soundtrack is there to enhance the visuals and the tone.

This does not exclude 'action' music. Hell, the first Deus Ex had both exploration and action music and it was a wonderful fit. But it needs to be appropriate. Not: "it should have music like in the original because nostalgia".

The music is one of the things that gave Doom its unique feeling, you don't want the game using the same overused kind of music from most modern games.

You know what? The music of Doom 4 shouldn't have industrial music, and it shouldn't have the Taco Bell salsa music from Doom II, instead it should have country music. Also Mike Judge, the voice of Hank Hill, should voice the Doom guy, I'll tell you what. That way Doom is unique and doesn't use music from "modern" games.

Yeah man, country music would definitely fit in. Maybe throw some pop music into the mix, and you've got a wicked soundtrack!!!!

Piper Maru said:

I certainly hope not, the Taco Bell elevator music of Doom II will not fit in with Doom 4.

This. You guys and your fucking nostalgia! Doom and Doom 2's OSTs are not timeless. They're plenty appropriate for the mid 90s, but the new Doom, at least the one I saw at QuakeCon, was quite serious, even given the tongue-and-cheek nature of the ultraviolence. Really, I think it would be silly to expect some "nu school" remix of cheesy hard rock and ambient MIDIS. It ain't gonna happen.

That said, I wasn't impressed with the ambient industrial that the demo played. I think instead of saying, "I hope they remix the old classics," it would be more constructive to say, "I hope the new music is as catchy as it was before," because a lot of video game music today is just forgettable generic orchestral fluff.

GoatLord said:

This. You guys and your fucking nostalgia! Doom and Doom 2's OSTs are not timeless.

I agree the whole osts are not timeless but some tracks do still stand out quite well, but when they are redone with better instruments and effects they can be quite nice.

GoatLord said:

This. You guys and your fucking nostalgia! Doom and Doom 2's OSTs are not timeless. They're plenty appropriate for the mid 90s, but the new Doom, at least the one I saw at QuakeCon, was quite serious, even given the tongue-and-cheek nature of the ultraviolence. Really, I think it would be silly to expect some "nu school" remix of cheesy hard rock and ambient MIDIS. It ain't gonna happen.

That said, I wasn't impressed with the ambient industrial that the demo played. I think instead of saying, "I hope they remix the old classics," it would be more constructive to say, "I hope the new music is as catchy as it was before," because a lot of video game music today is just forgettable generic orchestral fluff.

Could you provide an approximation of what you heard? What music was it similar to?

Doominator2 said:

I doubt it

I second this.

It will most likely just be some "epic" music once again..

No it won't ;) (see my signature)

Probably it's gonna be sort of a cinematic minimal (spooky-accents) or epic soundtrack (bombastic, war-drums).

If it's industrial-Ambient I have bad hopes, because the Quake 3 Soundtrack and especially Quake 2 are kickass pieces of art.
But I see more something of a techno-style influence you would find in an old Free-G racing game.

If the gore and violence border tongue-in-cheek at times, I really hope the music is there to make you feel like having maniacal laughter fits while still clenching your asshole out of fear.

Touchdown said:

We've already had a discussion about music in DOOM4.

At the end of the day the music should be handled appropriately to the rest of the game, not be 'oldschool' for the sake of oldschool. If a game throws realism out of the window in terms of tone and setting (Painkiller, ROTT13) you can get away with a collection of cool tracks. But for a proper AAA title soundtrack is there to enhance the visuals and the tone.

This does not exclude 'action' music. Hell, the first Deus Ex had both exploration and action music and it was a wonderful fit. But it needs to be appropriate. Not: "it should have music like in the original because nostalgia".

These are pretty close to my feelings. The other thing is that the Doom and Doom II soundtracks have been remixed and reinterpreted to death, so doing yet another remix - even for an official sequel - seems like a waste of a composer's talents. They'd have to find a fresh angle on them to catch my interest.

That said, going off of what very little we've seen now, a soundtrack in the vein of the classics seems reasonable. For a specific composer, I'm thinking Mick Gordon: he's done wonders for the Killer Instinct soundtrack, not only in reinterpreting the classic themes, but in creating catchy new ones. This one wouldn't sound out of place in Doom (aside from the girls' chanting, perhaps):

LANEGRACABRA said:

If the gore and violence border tongue-in-cheek at times, I really hope the music is there to make you feel like having maniacal laughter fits while still clenching your asshole out of fear.

I feel as though the music I heard in the reveal was like that. I don't think it quite compared to Aubrey Hodges' contributions--really, what could?--but it wasn't cheesy. It was not bad at all. But I hope it's the kind of thing that I'll remember after the fact. That's a sign of a good soundtrack. Someone asked if it was like Quake 2's music, and I would have to say that it wasn't as obviously industrial metal sounding, but it did have tinges of it.

I hope its midi too.

NIN drums? You mean a drum machine?

At least its better than the NIN piano... dune... doon... dune... dune... dune... dune... doon dune dune doon. #Overused. I still love NIN though.

Piper Maru said:

I'm especially glad it's not that upbeat salsa music from Doom II.

♫ got the late night munchies ♫

Piano cat making midis for Doom 4 or D4 would be quite the celebrity endorsement like TR for Q1 and RZ for @2

geo said:

Piano cat making midis for Doom 4 or D4 would be quite the celebrity endorsement like TR for Q1 and RZ for @2

If that's the case, we're gonna have an epic soundtrack!

GoatLord said:

It kind of sounded like Lustmord with NIN electronic drums.

The first time I ever played Doom II, I played it to Lustmord's music.

He goes perfectly with Doom, so that's good to hear.