Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Doom [4] reveal first impressions

William Blazkowicz said:

Was it like "ok here is gun and level do things" or was it like "heres level run ok scripted explosion *insert camera spazzing out like a pig with it's throat slit here* ok scripted weapon unholster scripted enemy exploding bla bla kden heres level" ?

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but it felt like a regular old school FPS to me.

GoatLord said:

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but it felt like a regular old school FPS to me.

Jesus Christ sorry calm down dude. I ment like was it a bunch of scripted nonsense but then good gameplay like wolfenstein:the new order? or did the game not have scripting/limited scripting or, at least, doom 3 type of scripting (as in you could move/look away from it) and just play like doom?

The more I play new school games, the more I realize the first hour or so is heavily scripted to inform you or get you into the story. Eventually, you get let off the chain with healthy chunks of gameplay where the cut scenes feel like rewards and not hindering your fun.

Just my opinion. There's an exception to every rule of course.

As for Nazi's ducking explosions, that's why you always aim for the feet :-) Quake 2 had people getting wounded, crawling or limping away. Then Rage brought it back like it was something new.

Elder Scroll games have an aggression that gives anything a chance to run or attack on a 0 - 100 value. Its easy enough to do random gambles like that 30% duck chance if being shot at. 40% blitz rate 30% flank chance 20% lurk and wait in hiding until you get near and then jump out.

In the case of imps or wall clinger enemies it can turn into using floor, walls or ceiling to travel and a chance to do any of them. Even fly vs land. Throw a grenade at you if you're covered or try to breach your cover or just wait until you expose yourself.

I honestly love enemy AI. I can write it all day, every day.

geo said:

The more I play new school games, the more I realize the first hour or so is heavily scripted to inform you or get you into the story. Eventually, you get let off the chain

I like to completely disagree with this because every single modern triple fps has acted like as if i was some mentally retard. And yes, it always lasts till the very end. Not ever do they stop the "presume the player is complete idiot". Wolf 2014 forexample didnt remove the waypointers even if you disabled every hint and played it on uber difficulty.

quakke said:

I like to completely disagree with this because every single modern triple fps has acted like as if i was some mentally retard. And yes, it always lasts till the very end. Not ever do they stop the "presume the player is complete idiot". Wolf 2014 forexample didnt remove the waypointers even if you disabled every hint and played it on uber difficulty.

My bad. Carry on.

Piper Maru said:

I hope you learned your lesson. Press X to replay the tutorial.

I was meaning scripting and cut scenes not hints.

William Blazkowicz said:

Jesus Christ sorry calm down dude. I ment like was it a bunch of scripted nonsense but then good gameplay like wolfenstein:the new order? or did the game not have scripting/limited scripting or, at least, doom 3 type of scripting (as in you could move/look away from it) and just play like doom?

Sorry, emotional context is pretty much impossible to convey through text. "I don't know what the fuck you're talking about," in my head, read more like a sort of chuckled confusion, not anger or agitation. To answer your question, there were no cutscenes. You see the POV of the marine putting on his helmet and then the game began.

GoatLord said:

Sorry, emotional context is pretty much impossible to convey through text. "I don't know what the fuck you're talking about," in my head, read more like a sort of chuckled confusion, not anger or agitation. To answer your question, there were no cutscenes. You see the POV of the marine putting on his helmet and then the game began.

oh okay it's fine then! and im sorry. but cool i like some 'level start' animations like that (like what duke nukem 3d did where duke cracks his knuckles)

thanks so much for giving us all this info on the game despite how much you have to answer like ,every day by the way! (and yes i know you dont HAVE to answer but its the fact you answer in the first place)

Oh, and Goatlord, every time a bunch of enemies show up did the game lock up all the doors or did the doors stayed open ?

This is probably quite hard to tell from an showcased demo scene, because i'm sure the person seeing it was also pretty hyped about the game. So he/she most likely didn't have a checklist of features and things what happens.