Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

Start-point dependent triggers are a quite common technique I've seen in many maps while "reverse-engineering" (spying in SLADE how which tagged sector is activated)...

Memfis said:

In TNT Map11, in deathmatch all action happens inside the crate storage you can't get out of. In single player at the start you activate a trigger that makes it possible to get in and out of that building.

MAP03: Power Control has something like that too.

40oz said:

MAP03: Power Control has something like that too.

Power Control also has those W1 teleporters at the beginning, so that in Multiplayer, everyone is taken to a different part of the map (normally behind locked areas where keys are required).

In addition, TNT Map30 has a walkover line at the start of the map that removes a barrier in front of the Romero head in the final room. This is so that the Romero head can't spot you in DM (and there is no way to get to the start of the map on DM).

Though CEIL3_5 is a common ceiling flattexture in E1, it is never used as a floor flattexture as early as E2M2's start. Neither are CEIL3_1 and CEIL3_2 used as flattextures in E1. The entire game - Ultimate Doom, respectively - never ever uses FLAT5 as a ceiling flattexture, FLOOR5_3 only appears as it in E3M3 - sectors 82 and 83 -, and FLOOR5_2 does the same in E4M9, sector 202.

I have no clue why I'm posting all this trivial uninteresting shit not so short after midnight.

invictius said:

Archviles won't resurrect SS troopers.

They will. If you look at SS trooper's DEHACKED and DECORATE codes, they have raise states, which means that they can be resurrected by an archvile. I've tested it and of course, it works.

^ Requiem MAP23 also makes you recognise this fact rather painfully.

Cell said:

^ Requiem MAP23 also makes you recognise this fact rather painfully.

Also Plutonia 2 MAP32 which has the same blood fountain of nazi ghosts, as a homage.

Speaking about gliding.

Requiem MAP15. Right at the start. You face a 32-pixel gap. Straightforward between the steel rods. You proceed. You win. But once you turn. By a single mdfckn degree. You have to find the mechanism out. The hard way.

Spoiler

DISCLAIMER!

Yeah. I quite enjoy. Putting full stops. At random. Places.

DISCLAIMER!

Strangely enough, the rifle DOOM guy appears to be holding is a HK G36..

http://s374.photobucket.com/user/randolphcarter2/media/Doomguy_Doomguy_sprites1_h_zpshjzhfuat.jpg.html

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tim_Orrock/media/HK%20Stuff/P1000699.jpg.html

Which makes sense as it was designed and released in the early 90's, was probably on the front page of every gun magazine and displayed in all sorts of media.

Tom Hall's Doom levels were specifically designed to have the same shape as the overview on his crude episode map screen.

Compare the shape of "Waste" to E1M3 of the v0.4 alpha (which became E2M3):

Also compare "Contr" to E1M7 (which became E3M3):

(Also, those outlines around the maps are actually there, in the map. Hall presumably drew them as boundary markers.)

Linguica said:

Tom Hall's Doom levels were specifically designed to have the same shape as the overview on his crude episode map screen.

Also if anyone has wondered why there are sign textures in the Doom Alpha labeled LAB & WH1 it's because, according to the Doom Bible, Control Center was supposed to be a hub level that you could use to access the Lab & Warehouse maps.

Also "Anom" fits. There is that gray octagon tower on the north of the map. It fits to the octagon shape in e1m9 of alpha 0.5. You'll also get there by pressing up in the intermission screen. Most of that shape is gone in the final version.

You can get the BFG in Ultimate Doom E4M2 by teleporting to that secret with the MegaArmor and running up to the wall to the right of that green torch. It might take a few tries, but the area that works best for me is just to the left of that metal strip on that WOOD5 texture (where the brightness boundary line is).

I just figured out that Arch Viles don't resurrect their own species.

Linguica said:

That's actually pretty neat.

Wow, imagine Tom Hall making the "Observation Post" map. Maybe he'd draw faraway buildings and even a long-distance viewpoint of the Phobos Anomaly, something the player could wonder, just what the hell is going down there... He would want some telescope doo-hicky in there and would've drawn a great-looking Phobos landscape maybe, something Romero never was enthusiastic about.

I think Hall was being a little too creative when he was working on Doom, he would (or would of) think of the most bizarre things. If Doom had was making a RPG no doubt Hall would be a great asset to its development.

Piper Maru said:

I just found out a Lost Soul can take 3 berserk punches. Fail on my part!

In theory, it could take up to 5 punches, if every punch did 20 HP, right?

nxGangrel said:

I think Hall was being a little too creative when he was working on Doom, he would (or would of) think of the most bizarre things. If Doom had was making a RPG no doubt Hall would be a great asset to its development.

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Hoodie said:

It only was to the extent that he didn't seem to be able to accept enough compromise with his team, who didn't see the grand vision as going anywhere and wanted to do something simpler. The other guys at id may not have given him enough of a chance to do that either, it's hard to say given what we know - other than that he was definitely never going to get along with Adrian Carmack. Those "Jules Sucks" graphics didn't come out of nowhere :P

Once he got to unleash that energy at Apogee alongside a team that shared his vision, he created RoTT, which is definitely a timeless classic in its own right.

Rise of the Triad isn't exactly dripping with complexity, either. About the only Doom Bible concept it has is choosing from different characters at the beginning.

Hoodie said:

It's not really a bad thing, but if Hall worked any further on the game it wouldn't be Doom. But that's not really a bad thing either.

nxGangrel said:

It's not really a bad thing, but if Hall worked any further on the game it wouldn't be Doom. But that's not really a bad thing either.

He definitely wanted Doom to be more of a horror thing. It's hard to say whether it would be better because then we wouldn't have the Doom that we all know and love. I would have liked to maybe have both but I know that wouldn't have been an option.

Doom was a pretty scary game, specifically for some one who has never played it before, and even though it's not slasher film scary it's good enough. I personally prefer community made wads/mods do all the really scary stuff. Like the Ghouls' Forest series.