Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
illuknisaa

colored lighting only on celing/floor?

I think the only port that has colored lighting (PSX style, not the gradient style from D64) is ZDoom and GZDoom, and you can easily do that in GZDoom Builder.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there's a way to easily achieve what you're asking very easily. However, there are a couple ways you could 'hack' it in.

You could create some custom textures with the desired colors - this is easy to do with software such as Paint.net (free) and probably Photoshop too (expensive). This might be something to consider if you only need a few flats to be colored.

I was also able to achieve the effect by using 3D floors. When a 3D floor is created, the underside of it uses the lighting from the 3D floor's dummy sector, and this includes the color of the lighting. Armed with this knowledge, it is possible to create an invisible non-solid 3D floor one pixel from the ceiling/floor and have it transfer the desired lighting. The bad news about this method is that there will be a 1 pixel 'border' of light on the wall textures too, and depending on your map, you might end up with far too many dummy sectors.

KevinHEZ said:

I think the only port that has colored lighting (PSX style, not the gradient style from D64) is ZDoom and GZDoom, and you can easily do that in GZDoom Builder.

3DGE also has both options available to users.

You can do this with the "glowing flats" feature of the gldefs lump in GZDoom. Flats (or textures on the floor/ceiling) will glow and light their surrounding walls with what looks like an average of the flat's colours.

Surreily said: and depending on your map, you might end up with far too many dummy sectors. [/B]

What do you mean by too many dummy sectors?

edit:I would have to create 20+ dummy sectors and my maps has like 30 already.

At the moment there can only be one light color per sector - unless you do something with 3D floors or the 3D light special.

Surreily said:

You could create some custom textures with the desired colors - this is easy to do with software such as Paint.net (free) and probably Photoshop too (expensive). This might be something to consider if you only need a few flats to be colored.

GIMP is also free and it's very similar to Photoshop.