Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Powerslave EX Public Beta Released

For those who haven't been keeping up with what I've been doing lately, I've been working on reverse-engineering the console versions of Powerslave using a custom engine. So finally, here it is: the first public release of Powerslave EX. Download link can be found at the downloads page on my wordpress site. I have also added a FAQ page as well which should answer everyone’s questions. I would also like to thank everyone who volunteered to play test it and helped identify all of the major issues.

This release is by no means perfect; there will be bugs and lots of other issues that may pop up. Please report any bugs and flaws to kexenginebugs@gmail.com. Expect to see patches for this initial release being announced.

Link: https://powerslaveex.wordpress.com/
Downloads: https://powerslaveex.wordpress.com/downloads/

So... yeah. Enjoy

Hey, pretty impressive! It's amazing how much the game is improved when you can free-aim without that cumbersome D-pad. Wonder how hard it'd be to mod in the PC version's ammo system?

Let us celebrate! Party like it's 1200 BC! Nice to see Kex 3 up and running.

Spoiler

TURBO RAMSES!

It's a pretty fun and interesting game, glad I was able to play it this way on a PC. Thanks Kaiser!

Hmm - bug report/missing feature report: any chance you could add an Invert Y-axis for gamepad?

WildWeasel said:

Hmm - bug report/missing feature report: any chance you could add an Invert Y-axis for gamepad?

I can definitely look into adding that for the next release. Kinda surprised that I never thought about adding that to begin with.

I once played a PS1 demo of Exhumed and LOVED it, but the game was so rare that I never once saw a copy. Hearing that the PC version was effectively another game was saddening, as it meant I'd likely never play that cool demo in full.

Now I finally can!

yukib1t said:

Very nice! I found a console command called "editor"... what are the keys for that, or is it just a viewer at the moment?

Its unfinished, experimental junk that does nothing but display the first map. You should probably ignore it for now.... heh

Hold down space while dragging your mouse around pans the view around, but that's pretty much it.

Had at go at this earlier today and it was everything I expected it to be: amazing. Loads of fun, I can't wait to start digging into modding. Won't be long until someone ports Bob-omb Battlefield to this thing.

I even recorded a video of my initial first impression:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gepNOrfLeto

I still don't understand those damn keybind menus though. And I wasn't able to capture it in widescreen since 1152x648 is the largest 16;9 window my 4;3 monitor can fit, and PSEX didn't seem to have that as a resolution option unfortunately.

I've never heard of this game. What trickery was it using to have such nice lighting on consoles in 1996? The DOS version looks like crap by comparison.

Bitbucket enforces me to sign up an account to download the file. Would it be possible to host this project on a site that doesn't?

This is great so far. I haven't come across any obvious bugs but I'll keep an eye out.

I don't know if it's user error or not but I can't seem to use my controller in the menus... Is that something that's not implemented yet or is it me? I'm using a Dualshock 4 with DS4Windows on Windows 7 64 bit. :)

Regardless, this is excellent stuff. I was worried about bloom being added but it's actually really well done - some 'professional' devs could learn from this!

scifista42 said:

Bitbucket enforces me to sign up an account to download the file. Would it be possible to host this project on a site that doesn't?

GreyGhost said:

I'm getting a 404 error from Dropbox, has the beta been pulled for some reason?

Download links have been updated. Sorry for the Bitbucket mess.

Average said:

I don't know if it's user error or not but I can't seem to use my controller in the menus... Is that something that's not implemented yet or is it me?

It's partially implemented but not functional. It should be available for the next official release.

I'm still really curious why Ramses' voice sounds as grainy as it is, since I'm prety sure it wasn't anywhere near that bad in the original.

Awesome! I really appreciate that you take the time to reverse engineer and reimplement these games. Not only does it provide a better end user experience, but helps to keep these games more relevant.