Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

MST3K Thread

I've been watching these episodes in order via some website that hosts them all (not sure if legal to post here, but they are infact just YT links). As of this post my next episode is 814. While there are a handful of downer episodes (High School Big Shot being the worst), it's been mostly a fun ride. Anyone else enjoy this?

At first I thought the Joel era episodes were funny (Season 3 was great, there were even some great Season one eps despite being called the worst season), but after Season 8 started it seemed to be some kind of golden era. Thoughts?

The later seasons are the best because they become better at riffing on stuff. Have you seen Rifftrax Live? Me and my friends saw The Room a week ago, and we saw Anaconda before that.

I watch these every so often, and I think from the same place. Every so often, you might find a missing link, but they aren't down forever. There's some good ones in your immediate future, and a lot of season 9 is good too, especially 910.

910 is one of the first episodes I've watched. I watched it recently again because of how good it is. (ROWSDOWER!) :)

I forgot to mention that I watched a few of the episodes on Netflix before they got taken from the site. I started to watch the eps in order because I wanted to have the host segments make more sense. I've noticed that in Season 8 onward the host segments are a bit more connected/complicated than either the week's invention exchange or Dr. Forrester and TV's frank coming up with some jokes.

edit: @Mr. Freeze Yes I have watched a few but not recently.

Before you get to that one, there's another classic at 820. The only thing wrong with that episode is that with all the blatant Battlestar Galactica ripoffs in the movie, not a single thing was said about it.

Ichor said:

Before you get to that one, there's another classic at 820. The only thing wrong with that episode is that with all the blatant Battlestar Galactica ripoffs in the movie, not a single thing was said about it.

Space Mutiny? I did see that one too (Was it on Netflix? I don't remember) but I will see it again when the time comes. Between the Battlestar Galactica footage and the railings, that one was a classic.

When playing Doom 2 Reloaded recently, I got reminded of this episode because of all the railings.

Edit: Other ones I remember from Netflix were Werewolf, Final Justice (oh hell that was good, especially after watching Mitchell) and Future War.

BlackFish said:

At first I thought the Joel era episodes were funny (Season 3 was great, there were even some great Season one eps despite being called the worst season), but after Season 8 started it seemed to be some kind of golden era. Thoughts?

The later "sci-fi" seasons certainly have awful episodes here and there like every other season, but imo also most of the great ones as well. Laserblast, future war and soultaker are great, and the best episode ever, final sacrifice is even better.

Odd, I was just talking about this show last night because Get Smart came on (going through the multiple doors thing).

Mr. Freeze said:

The later seasons are the best because they become better at riffing on stuff. Have you seen Rifftrax Live? Me and my friends saw The Room a week ago, and we saw Anaconda before that.

I saw The Room that same week, probably. Funny as shit, the Rifftrax is better than the movie alone.

"The Final Sacrifice" is an EXCELLENT mst3k... It's so fucking ridiculous.

"So... Rowsdower... Is that a stupid name, or...?"

Fucking LOL

"This movie is like playing Doom when there are no monsters or opponents!"

One of my favorite bits is the "local color" sketch, tho I can't remember the ep

So many great moments

I used to catch it coming home from school. The MST movie is probably the best "episode" to bring in the uninitiated. The humor quality is on par, but the crazy obscure references are kept to a minimum. The Rifftrax ones are also good for new folks, especially the Twilight ones.

NORMAL VIEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW

I used to watch this show all the time. First it was on comedy central, then it went to Sci-Fi channel (I might have it backwards).

One episode particularly sticks out in my mind, where they're watching a movie about giant spiders I think, "Go Packers!" lol

'Sinister Urge' is one of my favorites.

Also 'Space Mutiny'.

'Special effects by Industrial Light and Morons.'

I also watched the 'Squirm' episode for the first time a few nights ago, and laughed like hell.

Their quirky humour is a bit hiss-and-miss for me, but I howled when they riffed on The Room. The Highlander and Predator ones were also great.

My avatar pretty much sums up my feelings on MST3K.

It's pretty much the only comedy show that I find constantly funny. The Joel episodes have a sort of family-friendly vibe to them, and are best enjoyed with a bit of a knowledge of 60s and 70s culture. It's been awhile since I have watched any, but since I have started watching more classic TV recently, more of those "Chief? McCloud!" type of riffs from the Joel years will probably make more sense, and seem a hell of lot funnier.

The Mike years was when they moved into more of a raunchy type of humor, but still great of course in my opinion. According to Bill Corbett (voice of Crow in the Sci-Fi years), they were constantly asked to become raunchier by Sci-Fi after the popularity of South Park.

Joel has even hinted recently about a reboot of the show "in the not too distant future", hopefully it will be as good as the original.

Count me among those that felt that the show improved as it went. Actually, I guess that Mike's humor just tickles my personal fancy more, his deadpan delivery totally sells the stupidest stuff:

"The McCulloghs are here."

"It's that tissue I just dropped. Hi, tissue!"

Haha, just thinking about it cracks me up.

"Space Mutiny" is by far my all-time favorite MST3K episode. I would also go with "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians," but honestly, that one is so thoroughly ridiculous that it's enjoyable to watch even without the riffing, so in a way that's almost cheating to me.

They're commentaries are good with mediums such as educational reels, but watching an entire film with them can be tiring.

I quite enjoy MST3k and Rifftrax. They helped me get into the giant monster genre of movies that I am so fond of today. Joel had his moments, but I think overall Mike is better.

PRIMEVAL said:

I quite enjoy MST3k and Rifftrax. They helped me get into the giant monster genre of movies that I am so fond of today. Joel had his moments, but I think overall Mike is better.

You'll never know the joys of searching dingy pawnshops for VHS tapes of kaiju films as a child.

MST3K is awesome! I discovered the show just a couple years ago but I've become a huge "MSTie" since then, it's my all-time favorite show now. I'm a little bit partial to Joel myself, but Mike is great too! And I love Crow T. Robot as well. My fave episode has to be a tie between Pod People and Cave Dwellers, perfect 80s cheese in both of them.

And hey this is a Doom board so I may as well share this thing I found that turns the Cyberdemon into a giant Tom Servo.
http://michael.kepler.net/kepler.net.1999/asr3k/mst3k/servo/index.html
But I guess it's a "patch" from the pre-WAD days or something, so I made a .wad file of it here if anyone wants it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qu1aqtk05i56k49/servo1.wad

By the way I hear Mike Nelson was a big fan of Doom back in the day, and he even hosted a deathmatch tournament at the 2nd official MST3K convention.

Technician said:

You'll never know the joys of searching dingy pawnshops for VHS tapes of kaiju films as a child.

Yeah, I don't ever recall doing that :( most of my VHS tapes are either recorded from TV or were random gifts which has given me duplicates because no one else knew their monster movies. Now I spend most of my time and money trying to find DVDs of them, heh.