Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LittleInferno

Doom 2 on the Doom PalPlus palette

Bleh, hardly something worth getting excited about if you're using a hardware renderer. Go take some screens using Chocolate Doom.

I'm not sure why you edited your IWAD to put the PalPlus palette into it. You would get exactly the same result by loading PalPlus normally after your wad.

With that in mind, this thread is just "I downloaded a palette wad and took screenshots".

I'd love to see a hardcore dark megawad or episode that had this palette included, as well as some sounds replacements.

It would be neat for someone to take a professional colorimeter and record the actual spectrum of the Doom palette as displayed on a representative monitor of the era, and then make a custom palette on a (well-calibrated) LCD display that resulted in colors as close as possible to a CRT.

Yeah this palette would be better as part of a mega wad than just a palette for the sake of being a different palette.

Edit: Oh that would be fantastic Ling.

I don’t play Doom without this palette anymore. It makes game darker, true, but also more accurate (mind you, tho, that this is completely subjective impression). I like what it does with browns (more bleak but it works for the world in game, and in software renderer gradients look more smooth), reds (more meaty), and blues (more distinct; Plasmagun projectiles become more energetic).

BTW, this is a default palette in Doom Retro. This is, acutally, how I found it.

The only palette mods I ever use are ones I make myself which turn the greens and blues a little more vibrant, or somtimes adding a purple tinge to the blue range.

Oh, I have one that changes the on-screen blood to be transparent, so in Deathmatch you can still see as you're getting shot, but it only works in older ports/vanilla/Odamex because of some palette thingy that was changed a few years back in ZDoom (Graf explained it to me, but I can't remember)

Until this gets the Sodaholic Stamp Of Approval (TM) I ain't buyin', mistah.

Linguica said:

It would be neat for someone to take a professional colorimeter and record the actual spectrum of the Doom palette as displayed on a representative monitor of the era, and then make a custom palette on a (well-calibrated) LCD display that resulted in colors as close as possible to a CRT.

Why would you turn an incoherent thread into a reasonable discussion? What is your agenda? Why would you do such a thing

ReFracture said:

When did Doom 2 become as dark as Doom 3?

With the PalPlus palette, it would seem.

I like it. It reminds me of the PSX port. Some parts looks too dark though.