Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Strife's rebel sprites are derived from the Doom marine?

Just something I noticed. Same for the player sprite, generic rebel and Macil. The legs in particular match too closely for it to be a coincidence.

Interestingly this implies the Strife team must have had the full set of marine sprites that were only recently (December last year) released by Romero.

Yeah it's pretty obvious when you see the raw sprites, different enough that I never noticed in-game. I don't think I've looked at the contents of strife1.wad often enough that I've noticed it before.

The player -and Macil sprites look like the Doomguy face smiling.

Also, compare punch dagger sprites with Doom's punch sprites.

Interesting to know they were given all the unused sprites to work with as well!

The punch is definitely what gave it away for me. A lot of Strife stuff meshes perfectly with Doom resources.

The dead giveaway for me was how the player/rebels have their left hand still in the doomguy-rifle-holding position during the walking frames. Strange IMO how they never changed that detail, since it's frankly a bit weird-looking.

Well for one thing the boot shapes look the same. Macil's head looks like it would make an excellent helmetless head for Doomguy (with some changes of course) unlike the from-scratch ones people have already made so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game was built directly on top of Doom 2, slowly evolving into a stand alone game. Many object numbers are the same for equivalent items, there are textures that match up with some Doom ones, and the later levels felt like they were balanced for Doom like play and not Strife's slower and more punishing combat.

If it hadn't been for Romero releasing all that unused stuff, someone could have recreated those sprites using the strife soldiers as a base. Never really thought about that.

The use of derivative doom stuff is really obvious though, starting with the dagger HUD sprites.

If the question is "are they?". It has been answered and the answer is yes. I am captain obvious.

I actually first assumed the rebels were based on the Zombieman. The end result would have had the same outcome more or less. Or am I wrong?

Interesting observation, and I never noticed it myself.

A far more blatant example of this, though, can be found in Operation: Body Count, where the Galil and Uzi wielding terrorists appear infringingly close to the Former Sergeants from Doom. They even have the exact same animations, and are not completely drawn over, unlike the Strife characters. Again, kind of like the Strife characters, the telling point is the legs. The OBC terrorists have black panted legs, with the red blood stains on the original sprites simply re-colored. One of the mini-boss characters also bears a resemblance to one of the Wolf 3D: Lost Mission bosses, and the player character and ally soldiers are recycled from the player graphics used in Corridor 7 (No surprise there, though, as both C7 and OBC were created by Capstone).

Technician said:

I actually first assumed the rebels were based on the Zombieman. The end result would have had the same outcome more or less. Or am I wrong?

Zombieman/Sergeant are also derived from the Doom marine (we must assume the marine is the original, as there was a clay statue made for it). I compared the zombie sprites to the Strife sprites as well, but it does seem to be the marine that fits best.

At some point in its early development, Strife was still practically a Doom 2 TC. You can see this from how the DoomEd nums and sprite names match up for all the powerups, for example. Also, the Zombieman death sounds are still accidentally in the IWAD :P