Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Built-in Deathmatch maps?

So, in most YouTube comment sections, I see people (The few that aren't retards begging for Fallout4 anyway) saying that multiplayer should not be focused on, and that the single player campaign should be the meat of it all.

Now, I totally agree with the SP being the focus - But let's be real for a second, Doom fucking invented global deathmatch via Dwango. I would LOVE about 5 or so built in maps that are purely for deathmatch. Fast paced, strategic, none of this "leveling up" bullshit, or 360noscopbro crap, just straight DM goodness that this world lacks so desperately these days.

This is more or less a last-minute plea to the devs... PLEASE do not ignore the game that started deathmatch. Make the campaign the main focus, make sure cooperative works really well, but whatever you do, DON'T ignore the deathmatch fans!

How do you all feel about this?

It is surely going to be very nice, but only if ID Decides to give Players the ability to Play DOOM 4 online, I Mean we barely know what's going to be in the game, but Having some nice DM Maps in the game would be so cool .

DON'T ignore the deathmatch fans!

I'm really glad you agree :)

I understand what a lot of the people out there mean - They think that CoD and Halo style Deathmatch is overdone (duck behind cover, stand still to heal, sniper beats all... SNORE) and they're tired of it, but for me, Doom DM is so far removed from those types that I'd love to see it make a splash and introduce the younger generation to the fast-paced style of classic Doom and Quake.

I really hope online play is a thing, even if it's just parties of 4 or less. That said, I most certainly want SP and Coop to be the main focus.

I haven't played Doom DM in years, but when I did, it was thrilling. Fast, intense, manic. We definitely need quality multiplayer in the new Doom.

Good point, although there's probably a handful of people who didn't know doom had multiplayer, it was a real revolutionary part in keeping doom alive and relevant long after it was released, with all the competitions and bbs server advertising and everything.

I'd say screw MP. We live in times when games are barely finished by the time of their release and sometimes they're not finished at all. We don't need any more time and resources being taken away from the SP campaign. Especially that nobody plays MP in games where MP is not the focus. In other words, if MP is not the main focus, it's a total waste of time to work on it because nobody will play it anyway.

But unfortunately MP was always supposed to be a significant focus of DOOM4, even back in 2008. So it's already not 100% of resources going into the main game. Worst case scenario: DOOM4 will be like CoD or Battlefield where sure there is a campaign, but everyone plays MP because it's the main focus.

The only multiplayer game Doom needs is co-op. That's it. We don't need another twitch shooter, another military shooter, or really even an arena shooter again (we already have a pre-alpha unreal tournament 4). In my opinion, if Doom needs a Death Match for Quakecon, it should be bare minimum or at least like the original Doom's DM. That shouldn't hurt the game too much.

However if Doom 4 took the Wolf: The New Order route and only had single player, that would be fine.

One thing to keep in mind is that the original Doom is only about 4-5 hours long (for the average player). Yet it's extremely replayable. So even if the multiplayer takes away time and resources, the devs can just focus on delivering a short, but sweet campaign for Doom 4.

When campaigns are more drawn out with long introductions, tutorials, hefty cut-scenes, then the campaign must be longer, since those aren't the kind of experiences you're just gonna pick up and keep re-playing.

Also keep in mind that one of the major weaknesses of Doom 3 is how it overstays its welcome. I'd actually prefer if that game was shorter. I'd replay it more often.

So basically, if the devs prioritize quality and replayability over length, then their time and resources will be better spent.

Touchdown said:

[...]nobody plays MP in games where MP is not the focus. In other words, if MP is not the main focus, it's a total waste of time to work on it because nobody will play it anyway.

What on Earth makes you think this? Sounds like pretty random conjecture to me.. Many games have both a strong SP and MP experience that are both enjoyed by many people. Doom is no exception.

nxGangrel said:

The only multiplayer game Doom needs is co-op. That's it.

I disagree.

nxGangrel said:

[it should be] like the original Doom's DM.

I agree. ;)

ChickenOrBeef said:

Also keep in mind that one of the major weaknesses of Doom 3 is how it overstays its welcome. I'd actually prefer if that game was shorter. I'd replay it more often.

So basically, if the devs prioritize quality and replayability over length, then their time and resources will be better spent.

Good lord I agree so strongly with this!

I loved playing DooM in single player as I was growing up but this game friggin invented all that modern multiplayer deathmatch etc...

it would be foolish not to focus on making multiplayer great.

Besides, DooM had amazing multiplayer for the time as well. Some people don't remember it as well for the multiplayer because that wasn't as accessible to people. This may explain why some old time doomers think the single player is all that matters. That's kind of what happened with DooM 3.

I'm not interested in all that modern leveling up and XP bs. I just want to jump into an arena shooter, start with a basic weapon instead of load outs, and run around finding cool guns and gadgets and power ups. If there's any XP or leveling up, I hope it's purely cosmetic like making your player marine have cooler shoulder pads, etc... Halo 3 did it more or less right with its lack of load outs but still having some kind of progression and competitive ranking. The game has so much more variety if you run around finding cool guns yourself instead of always starting out with some AK47 like modern games do. It ends up being about just mindless killing in games like CoD and no thought is put into trying to get to that rocket launcher or sniper rifle or quad damage somewhere.

But also, PLEASE, have dedicated servers. Matchmaking sucks unless the game is still new and there are millions of players. Nothing sucks more than trying to play your favorite game 5 years later and waiting for half an hour to find a game instead of just manually choosing a dedicated server that has players and good ping.

I just wanted to necropost this thread to say FUCK YEAH IM SO GLAD THEY'RE INCLUDING DM MAPS.

Although I liked Classic Doom using it's single player maps as DM maps, things always got too maze like. I much prefer the idea of making Multiplayer maps based on recognizable and familiar areas from the single player maps. I felt that some of the Call of Duty games did this correctly.

Sorta like what Dwango5 map01 does to doom2 map01 - Adjusts the map accordingly for DM, but for the whole episode, or at least a few recognizable sections of maps.

That's a damn good idea. It'd be cool to DM in an area you remember fondly from the campaign.

I think you guys are failing to realize that the Quake games, honestly, were sequels to Doom in most aspects. It only makes sense that a modern "Doom" game would incorporate Quake elements like how Quake's multiplayer worked. I mean, it's not as if they are even different enough to warrant having two different franchises at this point unless you are looking to follow the Strogg story line, which just seems like a waste of resources, to me... unless they have a third-party do it like Quake 4 or Wolfenstein: TNO.

potnop said:

I loved playing DooM in single player as I was growing up but this game friggin invented all that modern multiplayer deathmatch etc...

it would be foolish not to focus on making multiplayer great.

Besides, DooM had amazing multiplayer for the time as well. Some people don't remember it as well for the multiplayer because that wasn't as accessible to people. This may explain why some old time doomers think the single player is all that matters. That's kind of what happened with DooM 3.

I'm not interested in all that modern leveling up and XP bs. I just want to jump into an arena shooter, start with a basic weapon instead of load outs, and run around finding cool guns and gadgets and power ups. If there's any XP or leveling up, I hope it's purely cosmetic like making your player marine have cooler shoulder pads, etc... Halo 3 did it more or less right with its lack of load outs but still having some kind of progression and competitive ranking. The game has so much more variety if you run around finding cool guns yourself instead of always starting out with some AK47 like modern games do. It ends up being about just mindless killing in games like CoD and no thought is put into trying to get to that rocket launcher or sniper rifle or quad damage somewhere.

But also, PLEASE, have dedicated servers. Matchmaking sucks unless the game is still new and there are millions of players. Nothing sucks more than trying to play your favorite game 5 years later and waiting for half an hour to find a game instead of just manually choosing a dedicated server that has players and good ping.

this post confused me...

"I'm not interested in all that modern leveling up and XP bs."

then..

"Matchmaking sucks unless the game is still new and there are millions of players. Nothing sucks more than trying to play your favorite game 5 years later and waiting for half an hour to find a game"

those millions of players you're talking about (who are going to keep playing for 5 more yrs) will be the newer generation who wants all the leveling up bs along with many other modern "bs" features that a game should definitely have in 20fucking15. As long as they are not forced onto you... is another thing. You shouldn't be forced into them but Why do you think the new CS was 100x more popular than the older one? It was a similar game with an ass ton of features added on to it. If it was just the dry game re-released with slightly better gfx no one would give a shit (and infact no one did at the start). SnapMap is something to look forward to as hopefully it'll increase the game's lifespan. I dont get why so many people are saying the game should be SP only when they showed the MP trailer at E3 entailing that the game will have both MP and SP and not one or the other? it was even announced that MP will involve Freezetag/ClanArena/domination.

very confusing why people are wishing for one or the other when its clearly been stated that it'll be both. I still believe that this game will either make or break id, but I think everytime a doom game comes out it's been surrounded by a large amount of hype (even the last shitter excuse of a game =p)

Since the 2000's it has become a standard for FPS games to inlcude at least a basic deathmatch mode with a few maps for multiplayer. Doom 3 had this as well. Why do you think this would not be the case with the new Doom game?

sleepii said:

very confusing why people are wishing for one or the other when its clearly been stated that it'll be both. I still believe that this game will either make or break id, but I think everytime a doom game comes out it's been surrounded by a large amount of hype (even the last shitter excuse of a game =p)

You do realize all those posts were from months ago, right? As in, before the E3 reveal?

I would be surprised if there weren't several DM maps in the game. And with Snapmap there will probably be many custom DM maps.

sleepii said:

this post confused me...

"I'm not interested in all that modern leveling up and XP bs."

then..

"Matchmaking sucks unless the game is still new and there are millions of players. Nothing sucks more than trying to play your favorite game 5 years later and waiting for half an hour to find a game"

What's he's saying here as that leveing up in a "ranked" system goes 100% against what Doom deathmatch is all about, BUT, dedicated servers are far more reliable than individual matchmaking. The points are totally compatible..

I suppose optional "ranked / EXP / etc" matches would be okay, but if every DM or competitive game has to be ranked.... Yeah, that ain't Doom DM.

Tetzlaff said:

Since the 2000's it has become a standard for FPS games to inlcude at least a basic deathmatch mode with a few maps for multiplayer. Doom 3 had this as well. Why do you think this would not be the case with the new Doom game?

You'd be surprised - Pre E3, many, MANY people were outspoken against Doom 4 deathmatch which blew my fucking mind... They didn't want it to become another CoD where the multiplayer is awesome (lol) and the campaign is so-so, which I understand, but to not have any Deathmatch maps/gamemode would be to spit in the face of Deathmatch and Doom history. When they revealed that DM was in fact a big part of the game, I was very, very glad. :)

Jaxxoon R said:

You do realize all those posts were from months ago, right? As in, before the E3 reveal?

Thank you :)