Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Do you plan on modding the new Doom?

Granted, modding the new Doom game will be a completely different animal from modding the classic games. But which of you will endeavor on modding the new Doom, when its out? No doubt, you'll probably need experience in software like Maya; blender; etc.

I'll probably end up doing some mods. I've been working with Unreal Engine 4 so it'll hopefully be similar.

I never got around to modding Rage and I'm sure not many others have. Because of megatextures, it seems like you need some kind of super computer cluster just to store raw map data and bake it to be usable in game, whereas a similar environment can be made by a guy like me in a garage with Unreal Engine 4. We'll have to see what DooM 4 ends up being like.

I'm not so much a fan of megatextures as they are in Rage and Wolf TNO myself. The game ends up looking like a weird combo of amazing detailed characters and muddy looking totally static environments with terrible compression artifacts visible in plain sight here and there. Hopefully they do something more like what they did back in Quake Wars where the terrain was all megatextures but buildings and other things were probably not. Then all the interiors can look all pretty and detailed and the terrain can look amazing as well. You don't really need megatextures on a hallway texture, it looks fine if it repeats...

On the first day I'll make it so the Doomguy can flip the demons off while shouting "Go Fuck Yourself!" at them.

Then I'll give everything genitals.

Clonehunter said:

On the first day I'll make it so the Doomguy can flip the demons off while shouting "Go Fuck Yourself!" at them.

Then I'll give everything genitals.

This actually makes me think of a peculiar scenario. What if other modders, with the ability to mod AAA games, try to recreate another author's mods done for the classic doom? No doubt it would cause some controversy, and legitimacy disputes; especially if the mod becomes hugely popular.

It's far too early to be asking this question, but I'm leaning on "no." I don't want to have to join a team of a dozen other people just so we can make make something completely inferior to the quality of the source material.

GoatLord said:

It's far too early to be asking this question, but I'm leaning on "no." I don't want to have to join a team of a dozen other people just so we can make make something completely inferior to the quality of the source material.

I'm not into teams myself; I always hated group projects back in school. But usually the quality of AAA mods is superior to the source content. For example, when it comes to Skyrim and Fallout; some of the most popular mods are the Unofficial patches. Because due to time constraints, the developers produce sloppy coding; generic and rehashed static meshes; and so on. If you go to the nexus forums, you'll find mods that put the source content to shame.

Also, simple mods, like changing the Hud, go a long way; mostly because nowadays huds, and user interfaces, are designed to be used for consoles; not optimal for PC users.

I can definitely picture the classic levels being remade, especially if the gameplay is more similar to classic Doom than Doom 3 was.