Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Quakecon 2002 in 6 weeks, what do you expect?

Quakecon 2002 in 6 weeks, what do you expect?

I don't think that there will be any new doom3 info, that was not allready shown to the public on E3. But I can live with that. Maybe some more info on that secret multiplayer thing that was announced last year that GreyMatter (?) was working on. Maybe not.

I personally don't give a damn about this MP game developed by Nerve!

MP games suck. Period. :)

I doubt any new DOOM III info will be revealed there or new stuff shown but I'm eager to know more about that RTCW Expansion that should contain some new MP maps (not intresting) together with new single player missions (now that's better!).

Overall, you shouldn't expect any suprises during the show.

We'll probably get more info on Quake IV, which now has a year of development spent on it. Earlier comments from John Carmack seem to rule out a technology test released more than six months before the actual game, so in terms of much new Doom III stuff I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I don't want any more Doom 3 info before I already own the game - I only want to know something about Quake IV and the RtCW Expansion. I'm especially interested in knowing what the Exapansion's single player campaign is about - are you playing as BJ again? Where in the WW2 era is the story set (1942? 1944? 1944-1945?)?

Of course, I hope they don't overexpose it as they did with RtCW.

But Doom 3? Nah, we've already got material enough to discuss Doom 3 until it's out.

Lord FlatHead said:

Yeah. The Quake 2 intro movie still gives me the chills... Paul Steed did a great job with that one.

That movie fucking rules.

DOOM 3 - No info
Quake 4 - More info,a screenshot will be nice.
RTCW expansion - More info on SP part.it might be good to have more variety of mission objective.More interesting supernatural enemy
Multiplayer game by Nerve and id- Even,i`m not that big MP fan,I`m really looking forward to this.Only the CO-OP factor looks interesting.

I want a little bit more info on Doom 3, mainly about the weaponry. I have seen reloading but what of alternate attacks?

bigbadgangsta said:

I want a little bit more info on Doom 3, mainly about the weaponry. I have seen reloading but what of alternate attacks?

Screw alt fire - most of Doom's weapons (and the weapons we know will be in Doom 3) aren't fit for an alt fire mode.
Alt fire for the shotgun would just be a like HL's double blast and that would mean no db shotty, so no thanks.
Alt fire for pistol would either way be faster fire rate but less accuracy - we've seen that countless times before and it's almost always lame.
Alt fire for SMG - Would suck no matter how it's done.

dsm said:

Screw alt fire - most of Doom's weapons (and the weapons we know will be in Doom 3) aren't fit for an alt fire mode.
Alt fire for the shotgun would just be a like HL's double blast and that would mean no db shotty, so no thanks.
Alt fire for pistol would either way be faster fire rate but less accuracy - we've seen that countless times before and it's almost always lame.
Alt fire for SMG - Would suck no matter how it's done.

Not ALL weapons would have one. Hand to Hand combat. Punch - primary alt - kick. The kick would be slower but stronger, but the punches would be faster, letting you take down your enemies quicker. A boot would knock 'em back, the fists would pummel.

Basically, that sounds ok. But I just have a beef with it because I hate to have a second fire button (it's not JUST because of my control settings - it's because it's un-handy in general).

dsm said:

Basically, that sounds ok. But I just have a beef with it because I hate to have a second fire button (it's not JUST because of my control settings - it's because it's un-handy in general).

I think secondary fire would be good/bad. Bad because it's another step away from DOOM, but we can't expect to see the exact same game anyways...

Well, I don't know whether Raven will show any of Quake 4 or not- they might, but they have been keeping really quiet about it.

For alternate fire- I wouldn't mind some weapons having them, as long as they are interesting, not boring or lame ones.

dsm said:

No. That's just some lame key config of yours.

Zaldron said:

No. That's just some lame key config of yours.

I said it was un-handy in general and I MEAN that it is un-handy in general - it's one extra button to add to the complexity of the game controls.

Lord FlatHead said:

Yeah. The Quake 2 intro movie still gives me the chills... Paul Steed did a great job with that one.

Where can I get this Quake 2 intro movie?

dsm said:

I said it was un-handy in general and I MEAN that it is un-handy in general - it's one extra button to add to the complexity of the game controls.

Then your mouse does not have enough buttons. Given the number of popular FPS that due have alt-fire your "un-handy in general" argument is opinion at best and pure BS at worst. For best control in a driving game you use a wheel and pedals. For best control in a flight game you use a stick, throtle, and pedals. Of course there was a time when you did not need that extra stuff but as the titles in those catagories got more complex the more advanced controlers became a nessacery. Why would you expect any less from FPS?

I agree, when it gomes to shooters a secondary fire is basically a given, if you can't fit it into your control scheme...well, It's only one button. Personally I use the basic WASD Layout Plus mouse...five button mouse solves weapons, Left = Fire, Right = 2nd, Wheel Up/down = next/last weapon, Wheel Click = Zoom and extra side buttons are spare for anything extra, say Driveby in GTA3. I will admit however, that not everyone has a five button mouse, but hell, RTCW solves that, and treats it like a "use" button, press it to switch to 2nd, press it again for normal..it's just another use button in that case, There is like 102 or so buttons on a keyboard, just work around your existing setup and add the new buttons to the best place. Not hard really. Mind you, having said that, It really depends on the player. Shooters have the simplest controls too, So whats an extra button.

Yeah, I also, wanna see Some Quake 4 stuff. That Intro, that kicked shitloads of ass, not even the awesome (IMO) RTCW intro was as good as the Q2 intro. SO Quake 4 stuff, definately high on the list, The RTCW expansion would be cool, maybe some Doom2 GBA news... Should be interesting.

After the showing at E3, I don't expect any new Doom 3 to be shown. I do expect to see Quake 4 though - in action, and not art.