Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Mad Max: Fury Road

You need to go see this movie if you haven't already. Was a big fan of Road Warrior for most of my life, and I had been anticipating a new Mad Max for about as long as the internet rumors were circulating. Still, I went into this mostly blind without obsessing over pre-release media and production info/rumors as hyped movie fans tend to do these days. All I wanted was more Mad Max with post-apoc car chases and that would have been totally fine. What I got was way beyond anything I could have imagined. Everything was cranked to 11 with wacky ridiculousness yet somehow still manages to make sense within the world. The action and cinematogrophy puts modern CGI- and shakycam-laden filmmaking practices to shame. I shed tears while watching just because it was so damn good. It grabbed me in a way that no other spectacle-driven movie of this century has done. Whether that be action, superheroes, sci fi or epic fantasy.

Go see it just for this guy if nothing else:

I was ready to give up on action films, but this was getting praise from just about everybody so I saw it in a whim. After pushing my eyes back into my sockets I think I actually am ready to give up on action films because how the fuck do you top that? The only thing that was a let down was driving home at top speed of 50kph in my non skull covered Mazda. :(

Quick note: The war boys are saying "Fang it!". It's Aussie slang "Floor it!".

I don't really talk to my brother on the regular, but he texted me last weekend just to tell me to see this movie. Will see it sometime this week.

Yes! This movie rocked. Not as much emotional resonance to be had compared to other good action movies like Gladiator, but nonetheless, totally, excellently coolio. I thought Charlize Theron was great in it. But would be fun to see her in a sexy role once in awhile.... I liked that the action never went so over the top as to cause eye rolling, either.

40oz said:

I don't really talk to my brother on the regular, but he texted me last weekend just to tell me to see this movie. Will see it sometime this week.

my brother told me to go see it as well. He said it was awesome. I hear Mel Gibson likes the remake as well.

Saw it last week. It was awesome and me and my buddy were buzzing from adrenaline for about half an hour after the movie ended. It was awesome. I already said that, but it's awesomeness required it.

I'm not a fan of any of the Mad Max films, so I wasn't thrilled about seeing it. My girlfriend wanted to, though, and I'm really glad we did. Probably one of the best films I've watched in ages.

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread about it earlier.

It is a shame this film isn't doing as well financially as it deserves, seeing as there is a couple of sequels already scripted. Dredd 3D allover again. It's unfortunate that it was pitted against Avengers 2: Pleb Harder. You just can't compete with Marvel movies.

darknation's capsule review:

I saw half this movie. Like, literally, the left half of this movie, because my fucking contact lens fell out. Spent most of the film trying to get it back in my eye, was not happening, so I pinged the miserable fucker across the cinema in a tantrum.

Hope the fucking thing landed in someone's popcorn. I hope they ate it and it shatters in their lower intestine. Fuck their colon, I hope they shit blood.

Three stars.

Watched it last night. It's a brilliant action movie. Silly and over-the-top, but in a thoroughly good way. Loved the characters, loved the vehicles, loved the cinematography, loved the simple but effective plot, loved the way said plot was delivered.

I do think it's been a bit oversold by people on the internet, but at least people are getting overexcited about something of value and not some disposable, generic shite that they'll forget about in a few weeks.

Awesome movie. I wanted to see a bit more of the convoy of crazy vehicles following the war rig in the end chase scene, but I think they were running out of budget at the time.

DoomUK said:

I do think it's been a bit oversold by people on the internet, but at least people are getting overexcited about something of value and not some disposable, generic shite that they'll forget about in a few weeks.

Keep in mind the wasteland (lol) that is modern action cinema and the internet SINGING IT'S PARESES IN ALL CAPS is pretty justifiable.

Technician said:

It is a shame this film isn't doing as well financially as it deserves, seeing as there is a couple of sequels already scripted. Dredd 3D allover again. It's unfortunate that it was pitted against Avengers 2: Pleb Harder. You just can't compete with Marvel movies.

It does look on track to be a success if you take the international sales into account.

What do digital and DVD/BD sales count for these days? I'd like to imagine that it will eventually become a modern classic, once the hype for that stupid Avengers movie cools down.

DoomUK said:

What do digital and DVD/BD sales count for these days? I'd like to imagine that it will eventually become a modern classic, once the hype for that stupid Avengers movie cools down.

DREDD did really well on home media, too, but future installments are not on the agenda. Also, I'm assuming someone at the studio did not want this film to succeed. You do not release a film of this caliber along with a known juggernaut like The Avengers. This is the time studios release their own blockbuster hits or shit that they know will fail regardless. This film needed a spring or fall release.

Captain Red said:

It does look on track to be a success if you take the international sales into account.

It made double so far, so here's hoping!

I loved this movie, definitely worth every penny. Minimal use of cgi and 3d effects was great, vehicles were crazy, everyone were batshit crazy throughout the movie. There were many unanswered questions and lots of lore for future movies like those cities we didnt see, why those first attackers were speaking russian etc. 5/5 I recommend this.

Saw this opening night and it rock my socks right the fuck off. Excellent in so many ways and that it agitated MRA's only made it even more awesome in my book. Will see again.

Finally saw this on Wednesday, a very good action film. I certainly preferred it to the new Avengers film at least. Sometimes it is nice to have 2 hours of near solid craziness.

Saw it the Sunday after it came out. It was fucking amazing. I'm not a fan of action movies, but it was a goddamn 10/10. Really want to play a roleplaying or tabletop mini game with this setting.

darknation said:

Three stars.

So since you only saw half the movie, six stars total?

I have yet to see the originals, but I've always been familiar with the subject matter. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was absolutely blown away. I'm getting goosebumps just recalling it. What we have here is one of those films that has pure 80s written all over it, yet makes extremely tasteful use of CG that's so good, you don't really think about it. I loved the freaky imagery, the over-the-top bad guys, what were probably the best chase scenes ever committed to film, and the portrayal of women as just as capable of holding their own as the men. This was easily the best action/sci-fi film I've seen in years.

I don't go to the movies much, but I did finally get out to see this last night. It definitely lives up to the hype. Might honestly be my favorite movie now. Might also honestly be the best movie I've ever seen in the theater--definitely the best I've seen in more than a decade. The attention to detail is astounding, and although there's a moment or two of greenscreenery I felt was particularly obvious, it was overall extremely well executed. 5 V8s out of 5.