Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Could you Would You in a Box - A 2048 Megawad (Final Release)

In January 2015 after making a map for Pcorf's 2048 community project I decided to try and make my own Megawad using the 2048 size limitation. Finally as of September 2019 all maps are done!

It's on IDGames!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could You Would You In A Box

Maps:
Map 1: Abandon Steelworks - Done
Map 2: Berserk! - Done
Map 3: The Brick Factory - Done
Map 4: Cacodemon Rhymes With Taco Demon - Done
Map 5: Electric Forrest - Done
Map 6: Could You Would You With A Fox? - Done
Map 7: Ruins - Done
Map 8: Arch-Viles! - Done
Map 9: Water Canyon - Done
Map 10: Shrine - Done
Map 11: Escape! - Done

Map 12: Return - Done
Map 13: Disorder In The Courtyard - Needs thing balancing?
Map 14: Mid Town - Needs thing balancing?
Map 15: Suburbia - Needs thing balancing?

Map 31: Spider Island - Done
Map 32: Watch Your Step! - Done
Map 16: Town Square - Needs thing balancing?
Map 17: Highrise - Needs thing balancing?
Map 18: Earthquake! - Needs thing balancing?
Map 19: Construction Zone - Needs thing balancing?
Map 20: Epicenter - Needs thing balancing?

Map 21: The Lighthouse - Done
Map 22: Port Haven - Done
Map 23: Beta Vulgaris - Done
Map 24: Road to Perdition's Gate - Done
Map 25: Saucer - Done
Map 26: Bazaar - Done
Map 27: The Inmost Dens IV - Done
Map 28: Outskirts - Done
Map 29: Shady Oasis - Done
Map 30: Space Heater - Done

Midi's:

Map 1: Horizon by Tom Mustaine
Map 2: Goin' Down the Fast Way by Lee Jackson
Map 3: Death Assured by Rich Nagel
Map 4: Gerbert by Mark Klem
Map 5: Mummy Rags by Mark Klem
Map 6: Pacemaker by Tom Mustaine
Map 7: Map 4 from Perdition's Gate
Map 8: Aliens, Say Your Prayers by Bobby Prince
Map 9: Heart Of The Hive by David Shaw
Map 10: Scary 2 by Mark Klem
Map 11: Death's Bells from TNT: Evilution

Map 12: Hellish Commands by Paul Corfiatis
Map 13: Oh No, I Forgot the Title by Paul D
Map 14: Brazo by Paul D
Map 15: Condemned Adventure by Paul Corfiatis
Map 16: Into The Lost Valley by Paul Corfiatis
Map 17: Ultra Creepy by Paul Corfiatis
Map 18: Simply Phobos E1M1 by Paul Corfiatis
Map 19: Plessure by Paul Corfiatis
Map 20: Fearless by Paul Corfiatis

Map 21: Erotomania by Velvatic
Map 22: Strange Sensation by Velvatic
Map 23: White Lights by Velvatic
Map 24: I've Only Got One Emotion by Dial-Up
Map 25: Come On In by Dial-Up
Map 26: Dave by Dial-Up
Map 27: Descent by Velvatic
Map 28: The Chicken by Dial-Up
Map 29: Up To My Neck by Dial-Up
Map 30: Barren Come Home by Dial-Up

Map 31: Perdition's Gate Intermission by Tom Mustaine
Map 32: Map 31 from Perdition's Gate

Title - Gresta by Tom Mustaine

Intermission - Running From Evil by Bobby Prince

Story - Face of Evil by Tom Mustaine

Here's some images for the people who will complain if I don't post some images.

Spoiler

Map 1
wBsz9xQ.png
Map 2
RkOdfZr.png
Map 3
WlZ5xV5.png
Map 4
hVVIfjE.png

Map 5

SGS19lJ.png

Map 6

LkbM2AV.png

Map 7

VB3sRuJ.png

Map 8

Hqebbk6.png

Map 9

KWiMiNQ.png

Map 10

MrpCqWd.png
Map 11
JMpKLs2.png
Map 12
RlwPPXL.png
Map 13
BhfsLfF.png
Map 14
jxGcFvg.png
Map 15
ds4CLnn.png

Map 31

DVWFXTaW4AAbzqL.jpg:large

Map 32

DVt2jFjWkAAYClx.jpg:large
Map 16
uJP53o3.png
Map 17
YznFEBG.png
Map 18
tn5rsTr.png
Map 19
1JxTcdd.png
Map 20
SdjhUph.png

Map 21

DiaCyd0X0AAy-yY.jpg

Map 22

image.png.250d43460cb0a3505119a55f72d92a3d.png

Map 23

8W1EGFo.png

Map 24

kLmJiz3.png

Map 25

ZrSjXN0.png

Map 26

DspF49KVYAAfQQx.jpg

Map 27

s2vZYtw.png

Map 28

pjNr9Cp.png

Map 29

6wxuHYn.png

Map 30

WTBQy8M.png

Edited by Jaws In Space

MAP12 was fine and fun random carnage, only the final cacoswarm was redundant - it would better not exist, as I just rushed into the exit anyway. Actually, most of the map could be easily skipped - I'm OK with that, though.

Jaws In Space said:

Only works with ZDoom ports for now, I'll get around to fixing this later.

Just peeked at Map12 and apparently this works in PrBoom. What's the intended Complevel?

I can't really download the wad. The download site you use turns the wad into some sort of .exe and my Avast antivirus though it was a virus. Mind if you upload it someplace else?

These evil hosting sites always want to trick you into downloading and running viruses. I guess to avoid legal complaints they include a small hard-to-notice legit link somewhere so that technically it wouldn't be a scam. In this case, to get the wad you need to click on the tiny "Direct download link" text instead of the big shiny "Download" button.

walter confalonieri said:

From the screenshots it looks this will be for Plutonia, my assumptions are correct?

No, it runs with Doom 2.

Most of the maps were overcrowded with random monsters to add random challenge, which didn't really appeal to me - most of the time I ended up skipping them, and then dying whatever I've done anyway. I see that this is the core principle that makes the maps work (otherwise it would be trivial to bypass most of them), it's just not my preferred taste. The only map which was OK in this regard was MAP17. That one was appropriately elaborate and populated to give me some averagely good fun.

Jaws In Space said:

Here it is Enjoy!

I did enjoy it, can't say that i'm a huge fan of maps that throw you right into the middle of the chaos but i really had fun to blaze through this so far. Some fairly tricky maps with a high trial and error ratio but due to size and shortness it's doesn't get anoying to die and retry several times, good stuff.
FDA's for Map12-17, 12 is only semi fda-ish,15 was the only one i gave up so far.
Played on complevel 2 and noticed several items being placed to close to walls or floating due to being to close to some ledges. It's great to allow monsters to follow you throughout the whole map nonethelsee you should add some blocking lines to details like computer consoles etc. since it looks kinda awkward when e.g. a arachnotron is standing on a thin ledge.

Some more thoughts:
Map12:
-didn't notice that i've obtained the SSG right at the start, stacking several weapons is something i'd try to prevent
- monster blocking lines for the teleporter
- so many cacos, i think half of them would be enough for a map of this size

Map15:
-no armor no SSG anywhere :( definitely the hardest map so far
-would be cool to get the PG without activating the nearby BK ambush

Map17:
-not enough ammo to kill all cacos,some more ammo near the exit in case someone want's to max the map would be nice

Thanks for the feedback Scifista & Tourniquet, I'll see to address some of the issues that you've brought up. I enjoyed the FDA's, especially for map 14 it was really nerve wracking watching you play cat & mouse for a bit with the cyber, that worked out just as well as I wanted it to. So with the positive feedback I'll continue on with trying to make a full megawad, I won't be updating this with the fixes for quite some time until I have another set of maps ready to go.

Hey there, this was a fun set of maps. I recorded some demos, though a few of them gave me trouble so might be a bit boring to watch as I die over and over
http://www.mediafire.com/download/flbm1doq5c2tkrj/return-mouldy.zip
I didn't keep track of the individual maps but judging from the file size of the demos I think 15 and 18 gave me the most problems. But even at their most painful I was having fun. I really like how short and chaotic they are, and a total warzone from the start. Reminded me a lot of swift death (only not so harsh). Also the way they were layed out meant you always had a bunch of directions to take. Good stuff.

Oh yeah, your hosting site looks a bit dodgy, trying to trick you into downloading some exe. Naughty.

mouldy said:

Reminded me a lot of swift death (only not so harsh).

Yeah i was kinda thinking the same.

Anyways FDA's for 18-20

18: didn't notice the PG first so i thougt this map would become an impossible crussade after discovering it the map got quite comfy to play.
Not sure if it's intended to step on the teleport pad to get out the window and grab the Soulsphere.

19: Not a huge fan of this one,
-once again double weapon pickup so i had no clue that i was carrying the SSG all the time
-the Crate room full of Cacos was kinda door campy
- it's a pain to jump down into the room with Godsphere/BFG with Infinite tall actors

20: short but fun, the Cyb got stuck in the middle of the platform, not sure why

Alltogether mostly fun stuff so far, hope you'll caryy on with it, i'm looking forward to new maps

tourniquet said:

-once again double weapon pickup so i had no clue that i was carrying the SSG all the time

Ah yeah this is something I forgot to mention, and it threw me on a couple of maps.

Thanks to Tourniquet & Mouldy or further feedback on the maps. I've gone through the current maps & addressed some of the issues brought up in this thread. I've now I've started work on the Next set of maps 1-11.

Some screenshots:
Map 1

Map 2

Continuing to make fairly quick progress on this wad I've got maps 1-5 completed now with map 6 coming within the next few days. I don't know if I have the motivation to knock out 4 maps in July so I'd say expect the next set of maps to be released around mid August at the soonest. I've updated the op to show a screenshot of all of the currently completed maps.

Screenshots from the 2 latest maps
Map 3

Map 4

Hello again, just another progress update showing some new screenshots of the maps. I've been putting off mapping for this for the past couple weeks until now, as I've decided to enhance this was with some DeHackEd work, thanks to Obsidian, & some custom monsters from various sources, Realm667, myself, & Sodaholic. This will force a slight delay if finishing this wad as I'll have to rebalance all of the maps, but to counter this I will be asking a few individuals to be guest mappers in Episode three.

Map 5

Map 6

Weird it seems like the last time I posted in this thread was right before I joined TNT: Revilution as project lead. LOL at the tread title of E1 coming in August :P

Anyways an update! Here's maps 1-6. Obsidian made me a custom dehacked sometime in 2015 so I need to go through maps 7-20 & make sure that they are still balanced. Maybe that will happen soon, maybe it'll happen in another year. Who knows, this will get done eventually.

Maps 1-6

Time for a long overdue update. I've had lots of free time lately to get back to some old projects. This week I've finished up the last few WIP maps for E1 that I started nearly 2 years ago. Maps 1-11 are now done & balanced, maps 12-20 still need need to be checked how they play with the DeHackEd. I'll get to testing maps 12-20 eventually, then after that I'll move on to making maps 21-32.

Could You Would You In A Box

I've only tested this with GZDoom, it might work with PRBoom, but no promises.

Slowly but surly I'm still chipping away at this wad. I finished up 2 more maps this month, hopefully things continue at a more steady pace.

Map 23

8W1EGFo.png

Map 24

kLmJiz3.png

Love the look of that MAP31/32 sky - it's almost like a three-eyed entity staring down at you.

Anyway, this certainly looks interesting. I'll keep an eye peeled.

Wow. I didn't know about this. Beautiful maps! Indeed that sky is like a three eyed demon. Keep up the good work. 

looks awesome mate. I've got a real soft spot for tan, 16px-high bricks in bright-but-nighttime spaces, feels so doomy and nostalgic to me. I missed this thread when it was originally posted, but I'm really looking forward to seeing this completed now :D