Is this 90's and fun?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is this 90's and fun?

• Yeah man
    • 90's but not fun
    • Fun but not 90's
    • None :(

90's.wad:

I decided to make a 90's wad focusing on gameplay and progression, nothing about visuals, they look wierd and mixed up. This map is also hard and uses mainly the RL and PR and is sandboxy.
The map's also hard, so you might wanna lower the difficulty, but I beat this.

Link : https://www.mediafire.com/?ajjlphhhb76rdt2

10's.wad:

A remake of 90's.wad to fit the modernage mapping of today, progression is somewhat kept the same, texturing is more consistent and there's more detaling, weapons don't come in groups (althrough there are 2 plasma guns put on each other) and I replaced the sky and the MIDI with something more fitting. This is going to be included in my Lost maps 2 collection, the MIDI is sampled from jumpmaze 2.

Link : https://www.mediafire.com/?qd6icn9jd82ay7x

I guess the joke is that it looks like most joe-ilya maps. хD

Seriosly though, it was fun except for the spectres. I just really dislike them, plus this time it's a RL-oriented map, so... Yeah, I killed myself at the start more than once and it wasn't cool. :P

Where did you get the music?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder what it is from the 90's.

Jokes apart it was very fun!

This was fun! I also recorded my first ever demo on this map. So you get to watch me suck at DOOM. Not my first run but the first run where I could complete the map.

The geometry was pretty simple, enough for a 90s map, but it feels like a 90s map that actually had design though put into it re: textures.

I liked how you punish the player for grabbing a soulsphere+armor by giving them another challenge.

The starting area was pretty well thought out imo. Only a careful player would notice the real challenge waiting instead of the squad of former humans which should fall easily to a rocket launcher.

The long walk over damaging nukage to the end switch is one thing I dislike about the level. But then again, that's probably the most 90s part of the entire map.

This was really not that fun! Visuals are disgustingly poor; "90s" doesn't mean they have to be shit... And sure, it's supposed to be a gameplay oriented map but c'mon now. Anyway, dull rocket spamming with very little challenge isn't really what I expect from a map that supposedly focuses on gameplay but to each his own.

So yeah, I fail to see the appeal here and I don't really know why I keep expecting anything else at this point. But looks like the usual suspects will enjoy this once again so maybe you're doing something right after all.

raymoohawk said:

hey FuzzballFox...yes you...

STOP

D: I thought at first this was ANOTHER project...

Fun map, I liked it. The music was engaging, and the varied bright theme + design simplicity were also sympathetic to me. I mean, the combination of the elements worked much better than any of them would work on its own. The contrasts were not really jarring, in fact they were interesting and they dragged my attention away from texturing/flow-related flaws. Well done map. It's only good to play once, though. And I believe that no next map similar to this one would impress me anymore. For this specific kind of one-time fun, this map already did its job perfectly.

@memfis It's from a place I always take my MIDIs from, I took a ska song specifically to fit the 90's, it's called "Goldfinger - Superman" : http://midimelody.ru/

@Allie Your demo desyncs after you save the game, what were you recording with?

@raymoohawk Yeah, really.

@Venien So it's too easy for you? I'm sorry, I can PM you a slaughter version if you wish. It's also a fact that maps in the 90's look shit compared to today's standards.

I'm also going to remake the map to be more fitting with the 10's and it's going to be a saparte version, it won't replace the 90's one.

Huh, I was recording with ChocoDoom v2.1.0; I guess I should have gone full vanilla to ensure better compatibility. I'll learn to make demos yet.

Allie said:

Huh, I was recording with ChocoDoom v2.1.0; I guess I should have gone full vanilla to ensure better compatibility. I'll learn to make demos yet.

You don't have to play fully vanilla. Just play prboom with -complevel 2

40oz said:

I love that song :)

I was constantly listening to this song and then I thought "Why don't I put a MIDI of this in my 90's tribute map?"

I liked it a lot and I finished with 1% on UV. Nice map but there was a ton of misaligned textures. I would fix those but otherwise I really liked it, and Goldfinger rocks!

I must confess I was positively disappointed and delighted with how it eventually turned out.

But... why did you put 6 Invinciblity Spheres on top of each other? o.O

Because the 90's called and told me to do this. Also because the sphere looks foggy like that too.

I said:

It's only good to play once, though. [...] specific kind of one-time fun

I must say that I was wrong. This combination of a map + song worked so great that I've greatly enjoyed replaying it right now.

Memfis said:

Awesome, will it appear in the joe-ilya tune-up project?

It's for lost maps 2, as said at OP.

I just thought it would be cool if the tune-up project included a map from you too, but I guess that also works.

Memfis said:

I just thought it would be cool if the tune-up project included a map from you too, but I guess that also works.

I already made a tune-up map there.