Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Romero

More goodies from Romero (DoomEd source, maps, graphics)

Dragonsbrethren said:

It works, I've been compiling maps with it. It's a DOS exe, are you running it on something that supports it or in DOSBox?

DOSBox.

I finally got time to check those “Doom II” maps. It’s funny to see “The Guntlet” in different textures. It made me wonder, because when I map, I have to see a room in a shape and a texture. Here it’s like texture was some decoration and nothing more. Working version of “The Crusher” is interesting. And of course “Dead Simple” (it doesn’t have exit, right?, or was it just me?). I still gotta play MAP22 (half of “The Spirit World”), as I hadn’t have that much of time, and they killed me pretty quick (damned revenants).

I wonder if that "Dead Simple" even was meant as a real map or merely a placeholder. At least the name fit the architecture. But it probably didn't have a name yet at that stage, as there are no Doom II names in the betas.

And the missing exit could mean that they originally intended to end the map automatically like E2M8 or E3M8. One could check if any of the beta versions do this, if they already have a boss special for map07 at all.

I think that American McGee’s verstion is some kind of a prototype. They had a basic idea of something simple that would introduce arachnotrons and mancubi. He got that idea but Sandy’s won. (And don’t mind those on “The Guntlet”—that was rather fiddling with new monsters.)

Krazov said:

“The Guntlet”

Is it a misspell on your part that you keep repeating, or does it have something to do with some newly ascertained info which I'm unaware of? I know the map name as The Gantlet.

Misspell. I feel kind of embarrassed, especially because I checked it today on (The One True) Doomwiki, but remembered only that it starts with “The.”

RunningWild said:

Not that I'm going to cry, but yeah it's the 1.2 BINARY.....

If you want to re-live the NeXT excitement, there is Previous, a pretty amazing NeXT emulator! It can do the 030 and 040 cubes, some of the NeXTStation hardware etc. It's pretty awesome.

RunningWild said:

AWESOME FIND!

While I put Romero's Nextstation in a locked display case (don't plan on turning it on, in fact when I was scanning the SCSI drive, I had connected it to just a old PC I had laying around with a SCSI PCI card in it, booted up to ubuntu and mounted it that way), I did make a clone of the entire drive contents (again, with careful assistance from fraggle) so ive been using that in the Previous emulator

I wonder if Previous emu is stable enough to run that DOOM nextstep release? It's boots Romeros image into the OS just fine. Guess I'll try a few different emulator configurations to find out :)

Didn't someone say there was a x86 release of NextStep? If so, I'll just toss it on that old x86 Pentium 4 box I have.

Edit ;
because i ran into the same small problem and overlooked it on the forum, including the .txt delivered with idbsp i will sum it up to help others...

Dragonsbrethern was the last one to confirm it ;
IDBSP verson 1.0 works in dosbox.

Xaser explained this important part ;
add a "level" directive (e.g. "level:E1M1") on the second line, which means you open he DWD with a text editor (preferably one not messing up the line endings) and on the second line under "worldserver version 4" one has to add an appropriate episode and map number. this allows it to compile with idbsp in dosbox or on dos

Ths should have been clear after reading the text file delivered with idbsp though. :/

Quasar said:

We had to *try* to be offended by that because frankly, he already did that in 1993 :P

He thought He could make anyone his bitch with Daikatana, It didn't end so well.

Had the rest of the maps been converted to wads? Particularly the Doom/Ultimate Doom maps and the ones in the Notused folder.

Tritnew said:

He thought He could make anyone his bitch with Daikatana, It didn't end so well.

Desperately trying to avoid backseat modding but yeah... We know. And it's totally OT for this thread.

Jon said:

Desperately trying to avoid backseat modding but yeah... We know. And it's totally OT for this thread.

Yeah, Sorry for being extremely off-topic. As for the WAD, Might give all the levels a try, even exploring the unfinished levels. I took a look at MAP30 and It was very, VERY cooler and better than the finished product. Even Idclip through It and saw some rooms with enemies.

Sodaholic said:

I would sell my soul to see Tom Hall's original level layout draft of the Tei Tenga base (in full detail, all buildings and floors) before they told him to scrap all his work when they rebooted the map development.

I got my answer: none of the early stuff was backed up. Though rooms developed for the old set were recycled into the alpha set that eventually made its way into the final game, so not all of Tom's earliest work was lost. At least, according to Romero.

Sodaholic said:

I got my answer: none of the early stuff was backed up. Though rooms developed for the old set were recycled into the alpha set that eventually made its way into the final game, so not all of Tom's earliest work was lost. At least, according to Romero.

That would've been Doom 0.25 then, right?

Enderkevin13 said:

You are on my cool list Romero.
Wait, you were always on my cool list!

He was on Everyone's Cool List since 1993.

Just noticed that the map Tom Hall was editing in that picture is present in the recently released Doom 0.3 alpha.

Randy87 said:

Just noticed that the map Tom Hall was editing in that picture is present in the recently released Doom 0.3 alpha.

You're welcome.

It's got to be. Even the crates and things line up.

Randy87 said:

Randy87 said:

I can die in peace now.

Picture status: Enhanced.

We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again...

Tritnew said:

He was on Everyone's Cool List since 1993.

It was originally named the "Romero list" because he was the only one in it, then other cool people got added.

VGA said:

It was originally named the "Romero list" because he was the only one in it, then other cool people got added.

Correct.