Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Doomworld John Romero Q&A?

So lately John Romero has been giving out quite a lot of interviews for all kinds of publications. My problem is that these publications almost always ask the same questions. Of course, there ARE new things in each video/interview but I already know most of those things.

Since Tom Hall has already been interviewed by Doomworld why not John Romero too? I think we could ask him a lot of questions that haven't already been asked like what is his favorite Doom mod (besides Brutal Doom), what he would like to see from the Doom community or from gaming in general, whether he would like to make a new Id Tech 1 game (like the extremely charming Adventures of Square) or just his own high quality Megawad or if he would like to involve himslf more in the Doom community at one point (maybe even as a Newstuff reviewer).

I know he sometimes posts around here and maybe he's a frequent lurker too so I don't think an interview with our favorite game designer would be out of the question (if he wants to and has time of course).

I'd be interested in if he still has his original set of D&D dice or if he just grabbed a mismatched set out of a big "house" box of dice? Does he still have any of his D&D dungeon maps and were any of these used in a Doom level? Hack-N-Slash or role-player?

If you have any questions... just ask him??

Every question I've ever had (or any request for that matter) and he's always responded in detail, with specifics. Sometimes it takes him a few days to respond (probably busy dude), but he's never once ignored a question.

Good. Maybe he can solve the revenant riddle once and for all.

Also, I recommend keeping and eye out for his "SALE TIME!" posts... you can get some ultra cool stuff from his collection, and he'll sign it if you wish.

Buckshot said:

Every question I've ever had (or any request for that matter) and he's always responded in detail, with specifics. Sometimes it takes him a few days to respond (probably busy dude), but he's never once ignored a question.

For example, I asked him one day on one of his posts "Hey man, happen to have a Nextstation?" and sure enough, he responds back later "Yup, ill list it in a bit".

Doesn't need to be some giant collaboration, huge event... just simply ask. Facebook and Twitter is a nice place to start, he apparently checks those daily from his postings, spring cleaning sales and discussions.

Oh nothing like a huge event. Just an interview on the Doom Radio in which handpicked questions can get answered by him. It would be an opportunity to ask him more interesting questions rather than make him repeat the story of the development of Doom for the 30th time. Again, just an idea and I wanted to see what you guys think.

DooM_RO said:

Doom Radio with John Romero

oooohhh god, yes please.

Buckshot said:

Kinda defeats the purpose of the OP, doesn't it? To make it a Doomworld thing?

i don't use facebook or twitter.

DooM_RO said:

Oh nothing like a huge event. Just an interview on the Doom Radio in which handpicked questions can get answered by him. It would be an opportunity to ask him more interesting questions rather than make him repeat the story of the development of Doom for the 30th time. Again, just an idea and I wanted to see what you guys think.

I mean he does quite a lot of interviews and Q&A sessions, and I saw someone just posted a new one with him recently. I'd be surprised if he turned down such a request seeing how he's always interacting and having a good time with the fans and game topics. Just my 2 cents :)

bytor said:

Kinda defeats the purpose of the OP, doesn't it? To make it a Doomworld thing?

Just merely implying that the seems to the most active way to get answers to questions, from what I've seen.

He does, afterall, post here from time to time... but not sure how often he frequents the forums. Also, you're probably right... make it a DOOMradio/doomworld thing. So as to get all questions answered in a single sessions, rather than bombard and overwhelm with tons of small questions from different people. Makes sense :)

DooM_RO said:

Just an interview on the Doom Radio in which handpicked questions can get answered by him.

I'd like to see this happening. Also:

It would be an opportunity to ask him more interesting questions rather than make him repeat the story of the development of Doom for the 30th time.

Please, the person who would invite him, make it immediately clear that his other interviews (the ones repeating the story) are known to us and that this possible interview would aim to be different than that.

It'd be nice to ask him if he knows anything about Strife's development. Did Rogue Entertainment contact him, ask him for advice, or something like that? Maybe he remembers some anecdotes? Did he give Rogue some previously unreleased materials? (as speculated here)

There's almost no information about Strife's development available anywhere. Come to think of it, do we have any information about Heretic or Hexen's development?

bytor said:

Nor do I, the Assbook is much nicer:
gopher://gopher.su/
Everybody gets a hole and they put whatever they like in it...

I think this is a great idea. Why don't people just post their questions here? There already have been some good ones posted in this thread.

I'd be happy to either host or arrange an interview with Romero via Doom Radio using questions gathered here by the community, although it should go without saying that this isn't preventing anyone from conducting an interview in their own time and putting it up on the forums or having it hosted on the Doom Radio website. I had been holding out for some better equipment before conducting higher profile interviews like this, but if the community's good and ready then we can suit up and put on a show!

EDIT: Also the ratings are down. Reports confirm that this probably has something to do with the lack of recent activity!

oh... btw, Romero was just on the doomworld facebook answering some not-so-common questions. kindly heads up

savagegrant said:

Holy carp! Over a grand now. :O

Yeah I know. What kind of crazy bastard would pay $1000 for a signed copy of Keen... of all games??!

Romero has an account here, so why not invite him to participate in a Q&A thread?

Buckshot said:

oh... btw, Romero was just on the doomworld facebook answering some not-so-common questions. kindly heads up

which one of them? I see two

Job said:

Hey man, Romero's gotta eat too.

Job, I was being facetious, lol. If you saw my image I linked to, i'm currently highest bidder on that Keen. Don't think anyone realizes exactly how rare that copy is in that condition.

IMX said:

which one of them? I see two

He commented on two from Stephanie Smith, one of which he schooled me pretty good on my DOOM / Wolf3D SNES port knowledge (or lack thereof, lol), and then he commented on my id anthology post stating "he has more id anthologies", which I'm taking as a hint that he may be preparing to possibly sell off a unopened, signed anthology soon (I'm basing this entirely off the fact he stated he had a nextstation at one point when asked, and he listed it a couple days later... so I could be wrong, but we can be hopeful!)

Buckshot said:

Job, I was being facetious, lol.

Heh, so was I. Hopefully you win the auction. Then he'll pretty much be obligated to do a Q/A thread here as part of the purchase terms.

Job said:

Heh, so was I. Hopefully you win the auction. Then he'll pretty much be obligated to do a Q/A thread here as part of the purchase terms.

I mean he's kinda already gone above and beyond on questions and other stuff (signings, etc) I've had over the past couple of months. I'd feel bad to bug him for another favor of that magnitude :(

If you guys want a Q&A session, I still say ask directly. Doubt he would turn down the opportunity to speak about the technical details that rarely get discussed, tbh.

The two Titan X's in this photo are a great indication that Buckshot will buy every possession Romero puts up for sale. See those Romero? Jackpot. :)