Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Any PWADs made for Complex Doom?

I've seen some PWADs made specifically to be played with Brutal Doom. Frankly, Brutal Doom always seemed to me a gorified version of normal Doom and the wad can be played with normal Doom quite easily. But Complex Doom had 3 times the weapons and monsters as normal Doom. Are there any PWADs made specifically for Complex Doom? Tell me if you know any.

yeah, I made a short set of maps, never released them though. they not the nicest looking things around so I'd planned on doing a lot of visual overhauling before releasing them, but it's been months and I've only managed to finish detailing a single map, so it would probably be a while before I finish the other two haha. if you're interested feel free to pm me and I'll send the maps to you. I initially just made them for my own enjoyment because I wanted something geared towards Complex Doom (like you), so there's only a single difficulty setting and it's pretty hard imo. I had a lot of fun playing the maps this way, but I can't guarantee you'd enjoy it. I'd still be happy to send it over to you regardless! I'll update this post in a few minutes with screenshots

edit: here's a pair of screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/roraL

Hey Tango, sorry for the late reply. I've actually been really busy with IRL stuff and could only manage 15 mins of computer time.

Anyway, your wad sounds awesome! Please leave the link in a PM. I'll play it when I have a lot less on my plate. I'll probably able to give you a feedback from 1-7 July.

Thanks.

If this thread has proved anything, there are practically no PWADs for Complex Doom. Why is that? I mean, a complex only wad seems like a good idea to me. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Mod-specific mapsets are rare, because:

1. Mappers generally want their maps to be played by anybody.
2. Modders generally want their mods to be playable on any maps.
3. Players generally want to always play how they want to - use their personal favorite mod(s), or none at all.

Mod-specific wads would:

1. Limit audience.
2. Risk broken balance if the player decided to play the wad with a different mod or none at all.
3. Risk broken balance when a new version of the gameplay mod is released.

scifista42 said:

Mod-specific mapsets are rare, because:

1. Mappers generally want their maps to be played by anybody.
2. Modders generally want their mods to be playable on any maps.
3. Players generally want to always play how they want to - use their personal favorite mod(s), or none at all.

Mod-specific wads would:

1. Limit audience.
2. Risk broken balance if the player decided to play the wad with a different mod or none at all.
3. Risk broken balance when a new version of the gameplay mod is released.

While this is true, my actual question (though I probably didn't make this clear) was why are there comparatively more wads made for Brutal Doom while there are none for Complex Doom?

Zulk-RS said:

While this is true, my actual question (though I probably didn't make this clear) was why are there comparatively more wads made for Brutal Doom while there are none for Complex Doom?

I think everyone wants to know the answer to that, yet nobody knows.

Thing is Brutal Doom does not have any monster randomizers, while Complex Doom has, which means unbalanced gameplay, have a look at the zandro servers, they are just survival, almost no coop servers are running and yet you can get easily killed on the map you join depending on what megawad it is, even with 8 or more players.
And not only that, the author is pretty much retarded.

I've made TC's myself, but at the end of the day, we aren't here because we like Brutal Doom, Simpson's Doom...

I didn't like having to bind keys just to use pickups that I'd probably want to use immediately after getting them anyways.

J.B.R said:

Thing is Brutal Doom does not have any monster randomizers, while Complex Doom has, which means unbalanced gameplay, have a look at the zandro servers, they are just survival, almost no coop servers are running and yet you can get easily killed on the map you join depending on what megawad it is, even with 8 or more players.
And not only that, the author is pretty much retarded.

I am also not so much a fan of the randomization at times... it is totally ok and kind of nice sometimes, with the lower level enemies, but to occasionally get a zombie-category monster that will destroy you 10x faster than the others feels a little silly. I am a fan of a lot of the new/updated monsters on their own though and that's why Complex Doom appeals to me from a mapper's perspective. in the aforementioned maps I think I used a mix of enabling randomization and choosing specific variants in specific places so that nothing got too out of hand. re: the author, what makes you say that? I've no interaction with him whatsoever, though his policy on reusing resources has always felt pretty dumb to me (it's better in the last few versions regarding the graphics at least, but I'm still frustrated that someone can make a wad that is 90% made up of resources (that talented individuals have allowed to be used freely), write some honestly pretty simply lines of DECORATE code, and say that said code isn't allowed to be reused).

ps Zulk, I'll send you the maps too! sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'll just forward you the same message I sent to kb1