Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Best and worst game for 2015 so far?

What do you consider to be the best and worst game of 2015 so far?

I would say Gal Civ 3 is the best one so far. Don't know about the worst one.

I would pick Witcher 3 as the best one so far and it's going to be tough to beat. After playing a few hours of it, I can say it's quickly becoming my favorite open world rpg and one of my favorite rpg's in general. The only negative thing I can say about it is that the games story is more rooted in the books than the previous two games. But, a few minutes on the Witcher wiki will bring you up to speed.

Have to agree with Witcher 3 for the best. Already sunk 29 hours into it, according to Steam. And that's just over the weekend and a bit today.

Does GTA5 count as 2015? I've only been able to play it on PC. It ran beautifully and the world was very thoroughly designed and beautiful, but MAN the gameplay and story have turned to complete and utter shit since GTA4. The story is uninteresting, unmemorable and flies by really fast, and the gameplay... let's just say you're viable to get accidentally headshot by anyone and die instantly, your car can explode even at full health if you bang the upper front part on something, characters now fall and stumble over everything (in general you are much more of a victim and puppet of the physics in that game, with less control than ever in a GTA game), and cops are way too attentive, giving you stars for things you could do time and time repeatedly before they ever noticed it in the previous games. Even with all the good about it, it's by far the biggest disappointment so far for me.

Also a surprisingly good time was had with Regency Solitaire for like half a day.

And Axiom Verge seems pretty good.

But Witcher 3 thriumphs over all.

Bloodborne, easily. It's one of the few games I've played in quite a long while that's managed to hook me for more than a couple of hours before dropping off the face of the earth. It has gameplay that is mechanically easy to learn but incredibly difficult to master, and a story that is told more through exploring the world than through character dialogue.

As for the worst game... I don't go out of my way to play bad games, so I can't say anything in particular springs to mind. Most of the games I've purchased so far this year have been pretty good.

Best? Mortal Kombat X, no contest.

Honourable mentions:-

GTA V (PC)
Project Cars
Wolfenstein TOB

Worst? Dunno. I also avoid playing conspicuously bad games.

Antroid said:

Does GTA5 count as 2015?

I say yes.

DoomUK said:

Best? Mortal Kombat X, no contest.

Can't believe I completely forgot that one. Havent even touched online, and played using a keyboard, and still had quite a lot of fun. The story campaign is awesome, and the character designs are quite cool. Boy was the PC port really shit at the beginning though. If they hadn't fixed nearly everything that was bothering me, I would seriously consider the PC port of it to be the worst thing ever. In 2015. But that would've been unfair to the real game...

The 2015 game that I've enjoyed the most so far (despite its only being released a few days ago): Splatoon. It's highly addictive! Seriously, I'm only just starting my working day because 'just a quick round or two' turned into two hours :/

And yeah, no 'worst' game from me.

Favorite so far would definitely be MK X.

Was Smash Bros 4. This year or last year? Love that one too.

Smash 4 came out last November IIRC. Still, great game. And 2015 will at least bring some new characters.

I haven't even played any 2015 game yet. All the stuff I'm looking forward to is still not out. But with SOMA, XCOM2, Bombshell, Armikrog and maybe DOOM4 this will be a busy second half of the year.

Pillars of Eternity

As one of the snobs who ranks Baldur's Gate II at the top of every list, this game delivers at carrying on that tradition. While not as immediately gripping as BG/BG2's story, after some development and time spent in the game I'm enjoying it more than BG/BG2's. It's a bit less D&D oriented (how behaviors were fairly rigidly tied to the good/evil spectrum) and a bit more realistic where characters have relatable reasons for doing good or bad deeds. Even the most obviously "bad" character I've met so far, after some digging with conversations elsewhere, was just doing bad things for self preservation and it had to do with a treachery committed upon him in the past. So almost always, if you engage in combat with a human/oid, you are taking on the role of judge/vigilante, which is a kind of evil ;-)

Best?

I have not played a good game released in 2015 outside of GTA V PC so it is the obvious winner.

Worst?

If any game counts then I say "Really Scary", I often play demos of the worst looking XBox Live Indie games to get a good old laugh out of them...

"Really Scary" just managed to piss me off more than anything though, it is like the shitty FNAF games only on a £0.20 development cost, the dev also shit out about 20 "games" in less than a month that are pretty much the exact same thing but somehow even worse each time.

Clonehunter said:

Doom 4 or Battlefront will be my first 2015 expedition.

Doom 4 won't come out this year. And Battlefront 3 won't be terrible, it will probably just not be a worthy sequel.

Also lol at the people saying GTA 5 is the worst game of 2015. Obvious trolls are obvious?

I love Axiom Verge
I love Finding Teddy 2

I am pretty sure I will love Hotline Miami 2, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet

Haven't played anything else. I am truly Doomed

I'm still halfway through Witcher 1, and I'm fucking bummed that my better laptop which could actually run games died. I want to hop on the Witcher 3 wagon but I just can't before I've played the previous games.

Best: GTA V

Worst: Has yet to come.

I haven't played any other new releases this year. Witcher doesn't appeal to me, but that's just because the whole fantasy old timey setting/theme isn't my thing. I can see why people do like it though, visually it's a beautiful game.

Don't understand the GTA V hate though. It may come across different than its predecessors in some gameplay aspects. It's also a technologically demanding game, though only because it looks fantastic mind you, but worst game of the year? Hard to take that seriously.

J.B.R said:

GTA is getting ruined

Not really.

Best: Brutal Doom v20

Worst: Brutal Doom v20

I almost never play games the year they come out anyway. The only exception I can think of in recent memory was Skyrim.

Best: Though only a recent port of an ancient game and not actually a new release: Powerslave EX. I fucking love the console version of Powerslave and it feels great to play with M+KB. Call me crazy, but I like first person platforming - it just hast to have the right physics and level design!

Worst: Uhh, this:

Aliotroph? said:

I almost never play games the year they come out anyway. The only exception I can think of in recent memory was Skyrim.

I bought Alien: Isolation when it came out. But I've played it so sparely, that I'm only close to beating it as of recently; I made it to the hive. It's an amazing game, but between working on my own stuff, and all of the other things I've got going on in my life; there's little time for play anymore.

To clarify, I didn't really name GTA 5 the worst of the year so far, but it's definitely been the biggest disappointment. I really hate where they're taking things like character handling, damage modeling, etc. The games become less and less controllable and more reliant on bullshit physics. In GTA4 it was still okay, but in GTA5 it really got on my nerves.

Plus they hid a lot of the side stuff way too well. I never found a lot of stuff apparently, and honestly I didn't have any desire to go look for it after completing the main storyline. That's 60 gb, and a slow-ass loading before the game, just not worth keeping the game installed to go randomly wander around hoping to stumble upon some side mission. And the main storyline was extremely lacking compared to the previous games. Flew by very quickly and only a couple missions were truly interesting/exciting.

Also most of the countryside wasn't even used in missions, which was also something I didn't like. I would've liked an incentive to actually explore that place.

I read that Rockstar made the handling of characters intentionally 'clumsy' so that the player feels like they're controlling real people, as opposed to being robot like (instantaneous actions) or something like that. They seemed to strive for realism with particular things. Head shots will and can happen to you if you're unlucky, and even with normal gunfights you will die within a few hits.

The cops, well they still behave like they always do. The '1 star open fire even though they rear ended you' attitude.

The rest of what you've said, well i can't complain about them personally. The country side does get some coverage, i mean i've explored a lot of it during the main missions and side ones, but i suppose it depends on how much you'd personally like it to be featured. The city has more activity just because it's the most interesting area.

Six said:

The cops, well they still behave like they always do. The '1 star open fire even though they rear ended you' attitude.

I don't remember how it was in every previous game but I think at least in four they definitely didn't start shooting at one star.
Also cops didn't start chasing you quite so readily. In GTA5 you could bump a pedestrian without even killing them and someone would call the cops. In GTA4 I could spend as much time as I wanted pushing people down ledges to their death with no repercussion. Heck, I could shoot some people before the police would notice. This removes the incentive to do pretty much anything in 5. You're way too fragile in that game. Can't even be guaranteed to survive a drive down a mountain. I miss the way GTA SA handled. Fuck this realism bullshit, GTA is not the series for this in my opinion.

It really sounds like you've got your post 2008 GTAs confused, I know for a fact that just discharging your firearm within earshot of the public in GTA IV would get you police attention. Not so with GTA V.

Captain Red said:

It really sounds like you've got your post 2008 GTAs confused, I know for a fact that just discharging your firearm within earshot of the public in GTA IV would get you police attention. Not so with GTA V.

I definitely played GTA4 a whole lot and the police in that game was much less alert. I absolutely could get away with doing much more before getting noticed in 4. That's undeniable. (Also I think I've seen people saying the same about the GTA5 police, how relentless it is)

The GTA V police are only relentless if you just try to out run them. Just pull off the road into an alleyway or car park (think the opening scene from drive)