Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

My SMITA0 sprite

I think it looks a lot better than the SMITA0 FreeDoom currently has. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't been updated yet; you may have to give permission to one of the FreeDoom maintainers for them to make it part of FreeDoom (and they'll probably require you to state that the sprite is original work or based off of other FreeDoom work, and that it's available under a FreeDoom-compatible license, which, yes, means it can be used for commercial use)

In general, I'd prefer a tree without vegetation on it so that it doesn't look out of place in the context of PWADs designed with id Software's assets in mind. However, as a replacement for the current tree with vegetation, this is a clear improvement and should go in.

in fact that tree is bit odd in some doom pwads like 2002ado because original doom SMITA0 is a stalagmite. <- i hope spelled it correctly

Freedoom maybe need to replace it to a rock thing to fit theme.

Protox said:

stalagmite. <- i hope spelled it correctly

You did.

The memory trick is stalactite => "Ceiling" and "Top", and stalagmite => "Ground" and "bottoM".

Sodaholic said:

In general, I'd prefer a tree without vegetation on it so that it doesn't look out of place in the context of PWADs designed with id Software's assets in mind. However, as a replacement for the current tree with vegetation, this is a clear improvement and should go in.

Protox said:

Freedoom maybe need to replace it to a rock thing to fit theme.

I disagree. FreeDoom has been using a tree with vegetation for SMITA0 for years, and I've grown to like it. FreeDoom should not slavishly copy the original Doom style for all of its sprites; the SMITA0 posted here keeps the FreeDoom style while being a vast improvement.

As long as is OK with Sergeant_Mark_IV to release this sprite under the FreeDoom license, I think we should replace Kurt's old SMITA0 with this one. I've already made it a gif (see posting above).

Thanks; I did try to contact Mark through a PM, but never got a response. I have considered committing it anyway on good faith that he intended to have it released under the Freedoom license, but I'm hesitant to make such assumptions, without an explicit release from him.

Agreed. For the main FreeDoom tree, we can't accept any submissions unless we have a paper (or at least email) trail that the submitter has made them available under FreeDoom's license.