Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

You're about to be marooned on a desert island, what wads do you take with you?

You're about to be kicked off the boat and have one blank cd. The boat has internet access. You can take your solar-powered laptop. Which wads do you burn? Keep in mind that you can only have 700mb. We'll pretend that all source ports and iwads are already on the laptop.

I was going to say just a floppy disk, but that would limit our selection to a handful of 1994 wads...

If the boat has internet access it kind of defeats the purpose of needing a CD. Just download Doombuilder and other level editors, and download a fuck ton of wads before being kicked of the boat.

Probably all "the the way id did"s available, then Lainos' wads, then d2ino and bedlam, and maybe top it off with the buttsex episodes, because I feel like even though I don't presently enjoy them, if I was desperate and pretty much had to play them I'd warm up to them and there's a lot of potential fun locked away in those wads.

Dunno how much space that would take up, so if I have any left I'd take Alien Vendetta, Unloved, maybe DTS-T for the sake of nostalgia, Deus Vult 1. Also maybe the first Hellfire. And all the plutonia sequels.

Oh and I would of course try to take some lightweight 3d modeling and image editing software, doom builder 2, XWE and my own project as well, as I would have all the time in the world to work on it!

This isn't a very interesting question because you could get loads on a CD zipped. If I was properly limited I think I'd take:

The Plutonia Experiment - IWAD that would be fun to learn to beat consistently.
Scythe - My favourite PWAD
D2TWiD - a more recent PWAD that I really like
Back to Saturn X - I haven't properly got to grips with this yet but it's pretty much guaranteed quality
Visions of Hell - my personal WIP project, purely for vanity reasons.

Adventures of Square, Arcadia Demade, Back to Saturn X, Coffee Break, Combat Shock 1-2, Community Chest 1-4, Doom 2 Reloaded, ESP, Going Down, Hellbound, Incineration, Jenesis, Knee Deep in ZDoom, Lunatic, Muskadet, No Rest for the Living, Plutonia 2, Plutonium Wings, Reverie, Slaughterfests, Speed of Doom, Stardate 20X6, Sunder, Swift Death, Valiant, Vanguard, Whispers of Satan, Winter's Fury, Zones of Fear.

And mainly, all the Doom editing software.

Megaman 8bit DM, Scythe 2, Plutonia 2, and the rest for my own incomplete wads and resource folders.

Antroid said:

maybe top it off with the buttsex episodes, because I feel like even though I don't presently enjoy them, if I was desperate and pretty much had to play them I'd warm up to them and there's a lot of potential fun locked away in those wads.

At first, I thought you were talking about terrywads. o_O

joe-ilya said:

Why would you want deathmatch wads?

Because Megaman DM has a fun single player campaign.

Obvious question problems aside, I'd take the following:
-Empyrion
-DTS-T
-zdcmp2
-Complex Doom
-WOOO2 (To break up the monotony)
-Valiant

But if I had the freedom to download whatever the heck I'd want, I'd just fill the entire Laptop with SNES, GBA, N64, PS1, NDS and Genesis emulators and all the Roms and Rom hacks the laptop can carry.

This veers dangerously close to "What are your favorite WADs?" territory, but if I really had to limit myself, I'd prune it down to some old faves that I cut my proverbial teeth on, plus a small handful of new essential favorites. Let's say 10 WADs total, and official releases (like NRFTL and Final Doom, which I would definitely want) don't count:

Old Faves: AV, NDCP, Strain, Icarus, Eternal Doom, HR

New Essentials: BTSX-E1, Vanguard, Lunatic, Sacrament

Pirate Doom, Resurgence, Mayhem 2048, Nova: The Birth, Base Ganymede: Complete, Jenesis, Arcadia Demade, Vae Victus 2, Suspended in Dusk, Scythe, Ruma, Castle Of Eternal Carrot In The Sky, Asylum Of The Wretched, Phobos, Requiem, Hidden Mountain Factory, A Fistfull Of Doom, Doom City, Brundle's Revenge, Doomsday Of The UAC

Zulk-RS said:

-DTS-T

lol nope

I'd take with me BTSX (assuming E3 is out by the time I'm on this island :V ), the DTWID mapsets, Plutonia 2 + PRCP, Lunatic, Valiant, and the Scythe mapsets, among others that I've forgotten about at the moment.

Eternal Doom III (and Return from Oblivion too), Requiem, Strain, Brotherhood of Ruin, MM 1&2, BTSX, AV, Speed of Doom, Resurgence, Whitemare 1&2, Plutonia 2, Scythe 2, and of course Pirate Doom given the situation.

Btw it seems a very good opportunity to play all the Maximum Doom level.

I'm being dead honest when I say I'd rather have a Doom2 IWAD, Source port (to play them) and Doom Builder. I'd sacrifice the ability to bring any PWADs if it meant I could make my own.

^You would eventually lose inspiration and direction if you didn't have any wads to examine while making your own. It would likely happen very soon and last forever.

Well the current contents of my PWAD folder come in under 600MB, so in no particular order:

Alien Vendetta
Back To Basics
Bauhaus
One Bloody Night
Back To Saturn X Shareware Episode
Community Chest 4
Concerned
Doom 2 The Way id Did
Thy Flesh Turned Into A Draught Excluder
Doom The Way id Did
Hell Revealed
Hell Revealed 2
Lunatic
Memento Mori
Memento Mori 2
No Rest For The Living
Pirates!
Requiem
Scythe
Scythe 2
Scythe X
Suspended In Dusk
Sunder
Unholy Realms
Valiant
Vanguard
Whispers Of Satan

A single CD limits my options a bit. I'd mirror the archive (minus /idstuff) to one of these, add a wad generator, a few editors and smuggle it off the ship in a suppository.

My WIPs. Sure I'll work the hell outta them, until they're all done.