Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Google destroys DoomWiki.org's page rank

Check out our punishment for having the server down for what amounted to a few hours:

Permanent reduction in page rank for our #1 query from 7.7 peak (on the first page) to 19, which is complete oblivion. I am so sick of their bullshit.

Google is a harsh mistress. Having dealt with Google Analytics and SEO, not surprised in the slightest.

Maybe it's just me, but a search for "doom 4" had doomwiki.org placed third, two ahead of the official site.

GreyGhost said:

Maybe it's just me, but a search for "doom 4" had doomwiki.org placed third, two ahead of the official site.

I got it's on 8th result on my end. 1st is Wikipedia's DooM 4 page and 2nd...of course, you know "that monster"...4th one is the official site.

Google sometimes tends acting weird and looks like they just for money or accepting SEO shit. :p

#2 for me

In my industry, my company and my clients study search results. Google comes up with results for YOU. Many of my clients have gone to bullshit seminars on this stuff. Supposedly Google recently changed its algorithm to show "truthiness" toward the top, which is batshit, because I've found some bold lies and comedic answers as "truths."

Its also odd that placeholders with no content other than names of what you're looking for can rank a lot higher than pages with actual content. Like how GameSpot has a placeholder for everything with no content.

Yahoo / Bing have always seemed impartial when it comes to search results.

#? for Yahoo

geo said:

No, that's the evil bad wrong wiki that should die that is number two in that picture.

In this case, it's number two because wikia is shit.

Also we hate wikia here, just FYI. What we want is for the doom.wikia results to be on the 78996th page of Google search results, and DoomWiki.org to be on the first page, within the first three results. This is how it should be in a just world.

Obsidian said:

Also it's #3 for me as well.

Geographic location might have some bearing on the results, and we're practically neighbors.

Gez said:

No, that's the evil bad wrong wiki that should die that is number two in that picture.

In this case, it's number two because wikia is shit.

Also we hate wikia here, just FYI. What we want is for the doom.wikia results to be on the 78996th page of Google search results, and DoomWiki.org to be on the first page, within the first three results. This is how it should be in a just world.

I get the distinct impression that you are not overly fond of Wikia. Just a passing thought.

This is how the search ends up for me (in Czech Republic), doomwiki is 10th result, wikia is 5th. By the way, I don't have Google account, this is a common 'anonymous' search.

When I searched for "Doom (2015)", doomwiki showed up no earlier than on the 4th page.

3rd result in the UK if googling Doom 4.

Third page for Doom (2015) for me too.

'Doom' didn't produce a wiki.org result on the first couple of pages, didn't look any further.

Linguica said:

How does it rank for "Doom (2015)"

In Australia - 27th on Google, 30th on StartPage. First Wikia reference is on page 4 for "Doctor Doom (2015 movie)".

"Doom 4" = Doom wiki appears as 5th search result
"Doom 2015" = Doom wiki appears as 17th search result, 3 youtube videos are ahead of it

Of course, we have to remember that Google knows we are all interested in Doom. It would be better to test search results on a public computer at a library or a university technology lab.

Doom 2015 on Google. Remember what I said about Gamespot? There it is.

Gez said:

Also we hate wikia here, just FYI.

Speak for yourself. Granted, Wikia Doom is shit, and most Wikias now look awful. I only use Star Wars Wikia, which usually manages to find a way around most of Wikia's bullshit.

Clonehunter said:

Speak for yourself. Granted, Wikia Doom is shit, and most Wikias now look awful. I only use Star Wars Wikia, which usually manages to find a way around most of Wikia's bullshit.

"It's shit and it looks like shit, but it has my faviourite content, so fuck y'all."

Google is bad and you should all feel bad for using it.

That being said, using DuckDuckGo (the proper search engine), Doom 4 yielded doomwiki as the 14th hit, and Doom (2015) as the 21st hit. The wikia was in the top 6 for both searches :(

There are thousands of cool and very useful Wikia projects which have nice designs imo. I can't hate it just because Doomwiki has a problem with it.

What's the deal with the Wikia one anyway? Who owns it? Why does it still exist when there's the DoomWiki.org one?

Doomkid said:

What's the deal with the Wikia one anyway? Who owns it? Why does it still exist when there's the DoomWiki.org one?

Because money. Wikia won't take it down because there's a cluster of ads that still circulate on there and generate money. Pretty sure it's the ads that made everyone leave as well, so it's a double dick move.

I see.. Here, when googling "doom 4", DoomWiki is 3rd, followed by Wikia then Wikipedia. That's not SO bad, I'd just hope people would click the real wiki..

Obsidian said:

Because money. Wikia won't take it down because there's a cluster of ads that still circulate on there and generate money. Pretty sure it's the ads that made everyone leave as well, so it's a double dick move.

Why not just vandalize it? Darthipedia pretty much stripped the content on all of their Wikia pages to "Simple Ric" pages, and then provided links all over the place to their own, updated site.

Are those pages still maintained that way, though? Either way, I recall the idea that linking to doomwiki.org at the wikia one is fruitless. They probably have admins actively checking what's being added.