Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havoc Crow

Preferred screen size?

What's your typical, preferred screen size used when playing Doom?
My preference is the "full screen with HUD overlay" mode (Zdoom/prboom), and I suppose that most other players share my opinion. What's yours?

Same as OP. Obviously, screen resolution (the one the game uses) matters even in fullscreen, but perhaps this is not another thread about ingame resolutions like this one.

screensize=11.0 Is my favorite one, Makes me feel comfy >_<
Sometimes i use the HUD_Althud 1 if a game/mod's HUDs were not clear .

My favorite style HUD is none, where all you can see is your weapon. I find the numbers to be compulsive distractions. I prefer to play as if I always have 1% health and infinite ammunition, but more often than not, health and ammo is sparse in most maps so that compulsivity saves my life. I focus on the game a lot better without it, though.

I play with the normal HUD, the one with the Doomguy's face in both DM and SP. Some ports allow you to "shrink" it which is nice.

Doom Retro's double native + fullscreen HUD ... it's widescreen, too.

The classic doomguy face one. I can't play without it, makes me feel uncomfortable.

Fullscreen with the classic status bar.

MFG38 said:

Fullscreen with the classic status bar.

This when playing Choco or via DOSbox. Else it's generally windowed, but always with the classic STBAR (unless there's some fancy new hud via SBARINFO or similar).

If I'm using ZDoom and I want a fairly original experience I'll use the default mugshot HUD. Normally though I play with GZDoom pimped out graphics and lighting effects in which case full screen looks best (no mugshot HUD.)

Chocolate Doom: 800x600 windowed with status bar.
PRBoom+: 800x600 windowed with the advanced hud or whatever it is.
G/ZDoom: 1280x720 windowed with status bar (though for some reason I play Square in 800x600).

Full screen, 1280x720 with widescreen HUD so no flats on the sides of the screen.

Mainly because 1280x720 is the minimum 720p resolution for Youtube videos and I don't want letterboxing.

I tend to play at low resolution in software renderers, around 320x240 or whatever the widescreen equivalent is. I think in ZDoom I use 480x270. For hardware rendering I'll play at 1920x1080 if the overlay HUD scales well, or 640x480 if it doesn't.

JudgeDeadd said:

Just to be clear, by "screen size" I mean what you change with the plus/minus keys.

Second-largest I guess--the largest size that still shows a full status bar.

Most of the time during leisure/casual play I actually play fullscreen, no HUD, and try to keep track of my health and ammo mentally (I feel it keeps me a little sharper), although I will occasionally flick to the automap momentarily to get a more contextualized lay of the land, which also lets me take a quick glance at the statusbar. When I'm recording an FDA or testing demo or something, though, I often use the Boom-style HUD overlay.

I am more likely to play with the statusbar up in real time, however, if the WAD includes new statusbar graphics that are very different from the classic standby. I think the last WAD I played I spent much time with like that was the early Stomper beta, when the DWMC played it some months ago.