Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeroMaster010

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment on NIGHTMARE! in 43:57

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment NM-Speed in 43:57

Demo is attached below, Link to youtube (this is still uploading as I post this, so it will be up soon): http://youtu.be/EUBUYWIZUpE

Incredible luck, I've done 100's of practice attempts starting from map 12, but I never went all the way. However, I have planned this very carefully so I figured I'd might as well start from map 01. This was my first attempt past map 13!!, but as I've mentioned in the .txt, this could just as likely have been the 1st or 10.000th attempt.

So, here's the first single segment nightmare run for plutonia non-TAS :)

30pn4357.zip

This is one heck of a feat. Great job! The time is excellent too. I hope that this run doesn't get overlooked by the speedrunning community at large, as this is insane.

Awesome! The only question is what depths of madness are you going to dive into next :U

kraflab said:

Awesome! The only question is what depths of madness are you going to dive into next :U

Since j4rio pulled off Scythe II UV, clearly Scythe II NM is the next logical step :D

very entertaining demo, felt like one long close call :D

first few maps in particular look absolutely brutal

I had forgotten the horrors of the unrelenting lost soul screams that occur on nightmare prior to watching this most excellent demo. My hat's off to you, good sir.

Unbelievable, just a few months ago I would definitely say "no chance in hell" about a full NM movie. I'll show to non-doomers too.

btw what do you mean by "a lot of trigger skips", are you saying that you can do that stuff reliably? I've always thought it is super random.

edit: or did you mean, like, sequence breaks?

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

Memfis said:

btw what do you mean by "a lot of trigger skips", are you saying that you can do that stuff reliably? I've always thought it is super random.

edit: or did you mean, like, sequence breaks?

Map 22 is a good example, I skip a trigger on the teleporter by using a very specific angle while using some position by the door and doing SR50. This prevents the arch vile + barons (and a soulsphere) to appear by the red key, which is good if I have enough health. Map 09 is another example, but a different type of skip, I never cross the linedef that activates the elevators for the mancubi. Other triggers are when you fire and wake up monsters, map 19,20 and 28 come to mind, if I shoot after somewhere around yellow key on map 20 then I am pretty much dead.

So the map 22 one is the only case where I pass a lindef where it's super random, unless I have a very specific setup, the other ones are just different type of triggers, perhaps "avoid waking up the monsters" is a better way of saying it.

Anti-Christ more like Anti-ZeroMaster!1!111111

Damn man that was some insane work. Tombstone looks like a force to be reckoned with. My Doom II NM-Speed was going to be a project over many months but it may look like I have to speed things up a bit if I don't want to get overshadowed so soon! :P

Looking forward to your next work!

Fantastic run Zeromaster, I must admit to feeling your (probable) rage at the start of Antichrist.
Now for a sub-40 minutes run :P

Damn you're a badass, this is truly an Achievement. Are you streaming your runs on twitch/anywhere else? Would be exciting to watch your next projects live >:D

from 30pn4357.txt:
It's been just over a year since I picked up doom speedrunning

That's nothing short of amazing. You could conceivably retire now and bask in glory for the rest of your life, after just one year of speedrunning. However, there's still 30tnxxxx to be done ... ;)

Great job on the notes, BTW. I probably wouldn't have sat through the whole thing if I hadn't read them. As it is, I already watched this twice.

30rn would be a logical next step, since I just filled in the last of the nightmare tables :) But seriously, I think 30tn is very much worth looking into.

Ok now I've actually watched the run and I'd have to say that this is probably one of the greatest speedruns of all time. The way you have been reliably able to work glides into realtime runs is insane, as well as your meticulous setup for rocket jumps. Not that long ago you said:

ZeroMaster010 on 25th February 2015 said:

Regarding episode 2 and 3, or a full movie, that will never happen.

Now you have the 3 episodes and the full movie run completed only a few months later. It has been a good few months for NM runs with your Plutonia ones and xit-vono finally managing Requiem Map 14. Outstanding job.

TNT next!

Yes, it wasn't too long ago that I thought 30pn was impossible myself, but then it turned out that there always seemed to exist some powerup or some strategy to deal with every situation.

Having to arch-vile jump on map 24 just so you can do free damage to the cyberdemon and kill him just before you try to exit is one example of both. Being able to kill the cyberdemon from a safe spot on map 30, infighting with the mastermind on map 5, trigger skip on map 9 to avoid the mancubus, rocket jump on map 12 doesn't cost 126 health, the list goes on and on, not to forget the suicide exit on 17 and having both a mega armor and mega sphere avaliable on map 18 without being near impossible to reach with pistol start, or all the glides. So in the end everything turned out to be manageable without there being some map that you might get through every 25+ attempts or so :)

I won't speak too soon about TNT like I did with plutonia, but personally it's not my favourite WAD, I had lots of problems getting past the inital maps on 30ev attempts. Episode 1 and d2all of TNT should be the last remaning nightmare runs of all the IWADs if I'm not mistaken. Who knows, maybe if someone looks closly enough at episode 1 there might exist some way to even break down a map like stronghold in a ep\movie run, maybe something along the same thoughts as I have for Tombstone: "If you're not spamming plasma, you're doing it wrong!" :)