Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Meet John Romero

This was a really interesting video. Also, John's hair is still incredibly sexy. There's some neat '93 era id footage thrown in for good measure.

I only just saw this a day or so ago, it was quite interesting especially what was said about how Quake was regarded differently than Doom during development and it's strange Romero didn't get payed for his work with it.

Made nothing from Quake? So it was a profit share and not salary or wage? Ouch. I can't blame people for leaving or even firing people if the tech took a year. That's why they should have put out Doom 2.5 or something.

geo said:

That's why they should have put out Doom 2.5 or something.

Well, they did kind of do that with Final Doom.

Interesting video, thanks for linking it.

I didn't know romero's step-daughter made that poem about doom and that quake broke the company.

Heh. I have the same type of Cacodemon plushie in the background.

PimPamPet said:

Well, they did kind of do that with Final Doom.

Interesting video, thanks for linking it.

Wasn't that a different party that made it unofficially?

6:07

"Leave it in."

-John Romero

I'm curious what happened to his sight- his glasses show a high prescription but earlier pics and vids show he didn't really need them~
Guess all that time infront of a PC or indoors boosted some developing astigmatism :P

geo said:

Wasn't that a different party that made it unofficially?

It was made by TeamTNT, but released as a commercial id product. So in my view it counts as "Doom 2.5".

Although one could argue that Quake wasn't much more than a re-skinned Doom either.

PimPamPet said:

Although one could argue that Quake wasn't much more than a re-skinned Doom either.

which it is. Specifically implied in Masters of DOOM... think they said most of the team were just going to make it the next DOOM game because the entire "Quake: Fight For Justice" focus just wasn't there (pretty sure Quake was supposed to be similar to Daikatana originally per that novel), but after having to dump artwork and mashup stuff they didn't throw out, they just deciced to piece together a storyline that fit the mixed art and design, and label it Quake anyway.

RegurgitatedCacoGibs said:

Interesting. It's funny to see all the various covers of DOOM shareware. The cover at 4:48 looks pretty cool, haha.

I thought the same, I wonder if there's a high res image of it somewhere.

GoatLord said:

I thought the same, I wonder if there's a high res image of it somewhere.

Prior to watching this video, I thought that some copies of DOOM shareware on eBay were pirated copies due to cover differences. :-D I wonder if those copies will go up even higher now, considering that these shareware copies only had a limited run.

As I said earlier, Romero has gone above and beyond over the past couple of months on requests that I've had.

For example, I just recently purchased a boxed, like-new copy of Keen 6 from him (which is extremely, extremely rare, and practically nonexistent to find today) with a COA, 5.25" floppies,signed, etc. While it wasn't shrinkwrapped, it was in pretty good condition, probably 9/10 judging from the pictures.

He unexpectedly messaged last night, stating that he had a more pristine condition copy than what was originally listed, and that if I didn't mind 3.5" floppy boxed version, it was still shrinkwrapped without any worn edges or scuffs, as in brand spanking new, he'd send that instead.

It's that kind attention to detail and appreciation for his fans that makes Romero the absolute badass that he is. Don't know too many other game designers that would be that straight forward and share the same excitement over such the little things like that.

Avoozl said:

I only just saw this a day or so ago, it was quite interesting especially what was said about how Quake was regarded differently than Doom during development and it's strange Romero didn't get payed for his work with it.

I assume that he still got his paychecks while working at id, but didn't get any royalties or anything after the game was released.

GeckoYamori said:

I assume that he still got his paychecks while working at id, but didn't get any royalties or anything after the game was released.

Right. But I mean that makes sense. I doubt John Carmack sees money from sales of id games anymore either.

To be honest I think id's games went downhill after Romero left. They're still good but not as good, at least in the whole overall creative charm that they had.

SavageCorona said:

To be honest I think id's games went downhill after Romero left. They're still good but not as good, at least in the whole overall creative charm that they had.

No thinking about it. They did. And that's the entire reason Id and Romero parted ways.. he stated he didn't want to do the same thing over and over again, which is exactly what Quake 2 Thru Doom 3 was. Rage was a slight deviation at something different, and that didn't pan too well even when they hired writers and designers to give them fresh ideas.