Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

Trying to learn how to glide

So I've been trying to learn how to glide in wads and can't figure out how to do it. No matter how much I stand in front of a 32 wide gap and try to squeeze through, it doesn't work.

Start easier: Try to glide through a 32-wide gap placed next to an orthogonal wall on the left or on the right. Like this:

|                                                        |
      |         ______          ______          ______         |
      |        |      |        |      |        |      |        |
      |        |      |        |      |        |      |        |
 Wall |        |Pillar|        |Pillar|        |Pillar|        | Wall
      |        |______|        |______|        |______|        |
      |   /\                              /\                   |
      |  /  \                            /  \                  |
      | /_  _\                          /_  _\                 |
      |   ||                              ||                   |
      |   ||                              ||                   |
      |   || Beginners                    || Experts           |
      |   || try it here                  || do it here        |
This should make it easier for you to align yourself. Then keep trying to slip through a gap without a wall on your side. Remember, it's hard, and you practically need mouse and very tiny movements to do it right.

Also keep in mind that gliding is harder in ZDoom-based ports than in other ports, so perhaps start learning elsewhere than in ZDoom.

Recently I wrote a post explaining how you can do the glide on map16, maybe you will find it useful: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1368653

I've never seen a full guide on glides. There is a good thread by Creaphis in the demo forum but it skips the basics so a newbie won't understand it.

The beginner scenario from scifista42's drawing is a good way to start learning, such glide is usually referred to as a "guided" glide. It's probably the best to just use doom builder or whatever to create a 32-unit gap with wall on one side and a pillar on the other one, that way you can hug the wall while attempting the glide. Direction of glide matters in vanilla, you can test it yourself by gliding in one direction and then trying to glide back from the other side, and then repeat until bored. I would suggest trying the simplest technique at first, which is as follows: get close to the gap, look straight forward, increase your vertical sensitivity a bit, throw away your keyboard and from that point only use mouse to move forward, as slowly as you can. After a while move backwards a tiny bit and repeat the process. That way it's possible to get the general feel of the trick, and that will make it easier to understand more technical stuff later on if you will feel like it. Creaphis' thread indeed contains a great lot of analysis. And of course, for some of the classic IWAD glides specific approaches have been found, which work exceptionally well, but those wont help understanding the general idea i think.

Also, i find guided glides to be even easier in zdoom-based ports, the slow speed approach also works there reliably, even though it's a tiny bit different. Unguided gliding is extremely luckbased and difficult in zdoom though, while it can be 100% reliable (depending on direction) in vanilla. The reasons for the latter can be found within the aforementioned thread (i believe it's called "two types of glides"), but if i recall correctly it's based on doom's sine table being imperfect and thus leading to player getting pushed west if he walks north.

If you are doing the glide from east to west, like in Doom2 Map02, you want to be able to do MF1 commands. Use your mouse strafe or vertical mouse movement to make as tiny movements as possible, check the demo from replay editor, that you are able to do MF1 (or SR1/SL1) movement commands. If you are doing the glide from north to south, like in Doom2 Map19 using only the red key @ exit, you HAVE TO perform MF2 (or SR2/SL2) movement commands. It won't work with MF1/SL1/SR1 because there will be no side movement.

For me personally, glides are really easy in Chocolate Doom. Getting pixel perfect alignment is key for me. It's really hard for me to do them in any other port (like ZDoom/GZDoom). Easiest way is to make sure mouselook is off completely and that the mouse is instead used to move forward and backwards when moving it like you were trying to aim. Combine this with small taps of the forward key and you can "squeeze" into position. Harder to explain that it is to do.

Guys, could someone explain how to get through a metalic fence or any other transparent wall that allows the projectiles to fly through it?

Here are the screenshots of the place I need to work with: link.