Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hoodie

Why?

I'm sorry if this is a common thing you guys are talking about but...

Why are they making this?

I understand it will get them money, I understand that people like the stupid amount of violence, I understand it's for nostalgic purposes, I understand people like the stupid fast multiplayer, I understand people like being stupid. I've grown to accept that people buy stupid games because it makes them have stupid fun because people like being stupid. That's just something I've grown to accept. I play Doom and have stuck with Doom because it is fun and stupid, and I feel as if Doom has it right, Doom can be so much and in the end it's just a dumb game that is fun. But why would someone think Doom 4 is fun, I understand it's not out yet so I can't say it's not fun or whatever, but it's obvious what kind of game it's gonna be. It's obvious it's just gonna be another shitty game like Wolfenstein : The New Order was.

I understand people like violence for no reason, but, can we just stop and think, the stupid violence isn't what made it fun?

Doom is what made Doom fun, being a totally new game is what made Doom fun, and still being a fun stupid game is what makes Doom fun. Being a FAST PACED, EPIC, BAM BAM BOOM BLOOD AND GORE, isn't what's fun about Doom, just the pure simplicity at which you play the game is what makes it fun. Doom 4 will be bad because it's relying on being Doom to be fun, it's not doing anything new, it's not innovating, it's standing on the shoulders of giants.

Doom 4 will say, "I am Doom so I must be fun." Which is incorrect, Doom 4 will be bad because it's trying so hard to be Doom when Doom is Doom. Doom 4 should try to be Doom 4, but instead it will be more of the same shit everyone loves, everyone just keeps shoveling the same shit into their mouths and they love it. They love the same game EVERY FUCKING YEAR. The same game, The same game, The same game, The same game, The same game, The same game, The same game.

I understand you guys will just be dicks to me about this like...
"Just don't play it then."
"You just analyze to much."
"You really need to let it go."
But fuck it, the gaming industry is fucking stupid.

Doom was great because it innovated in a great way, Doom 4 will obviously not. Everyone will love it all the same though, and none of this matters anyways.

None of this matters, thanks for reading.

Yeah... because Doom wasn't the first game with extreme gore for the time where you could literally explode the demons into pieces (I'm looking at you rocket launcher and green goo barrels).

THE TRAILER IS FUCKING AWESOME ;P
This Brutal Doom hate here is ridiculous. I don't enjoy many aspects of the mod but I don't hate it either. The gore on the trailer is miles better (as is expected from AAA devs).

Hoodie said:

Doom was great because it innovated in a great way, Doom 4 will obviously not. Everyone will love it all the same though, and none of this matters anyways.

None of this matters, thanks for reading.

I think you are wrong. Not everyone will love it, it looks good. Not great

Hoodie said:

Why are they making this?

I understand it will get them money

/thread

Hoodie said:

another shitty game like Wolfenstein : The New Order was.

You best watch what you say, buster

It looks to me like it's harkening back to all of the things that made classic Doom great, while adding a few twists to keep things interesting. What's the problem with that?

To be honest it seems to be missing a sizeable portion of what made classic Doom great. At least the videos do, can't really judge by anything else.

Hoodie said:

You may be on to something (I believe you are), but what do you suggest to do? Vast innovation is not easy (if even possible) nowadays, it's not even safe to do if you're going to trade this game that people have expectations about. Doom is a good name franchise in Bethesda's ownership, so they're using it to make a new game to make money off Doom fans and other people who want to enjoy it. The immediate logic is understandable. How exactly would they change it for the greater goodness in world scale? If the majority of people doesn't plead for innovation, but they would be willing to pay money for the new but same game, how do you stop the trend? Is it even worth trying to stop it, and is it even right to do? I would say that if you're a game developer, simply trying to make your game as good as possible should be noble enough, and "good" means satisfactory for consumers.

On the other hand, I personally like seeing innovative ideas executed right. I will be satisfied as long as I get to seeing them. Wouldn't it be nice if the entire world scope trend in game making accustomized to my own preference? If it's not also other people's preference, then probably NOT. But, I will be absolutely glad simply for the fact that games to satisfy my preference exist, and everyone who wants them can get to them. I would welcome if there were more innovative games, and it makes me slightly sad that the trend among high-budget top-sellers is different, but it doesn't ruin my day in the end. Hopefully everyone still gets a possibility to get what he (personally) wants to. My own primary source of gaming satisfaction is already classic Doom, for being what it is.

What an odd rant. You ask why then immediately answer your own question, you claim Doom is fun because it's Doom and then complain the new Doom will fail because it will rely on Doom being fun and then end your post going into angst mode about the ills of the gaming industry before declare the whole post pointless.

I'm pleased there will be a new Doom. It already looks better than Doom 3 and if it's not the community will survive it. Also, the games industry might be full of evil corporate money grabbers but look at any massive profitable industry and you'll see the same. If it upsets you so much allow the fact there has never been better access to good old fashioned games or such a thriving innovative indie scene to cushion the blow and see you through until the next genuinely awesome AAA game is released.

I do agree that people seem to mistakenly think doom is just about the violence and shooting.

To me doom is about a fucking badass space marine who is a survivor in a really shitty situation. I kinda cringe at the stupid one liners he has in Brutal Doom, and the voice it's done in. I think the Doom 3 marine was a much better portrayal than what he is like in Brutal Doom. I see him more like Cpl Hicks from Aliens, rather than the crazy dude from the comic.

The level design in DooM was pretty damn good. Based on the trailer, the level they showed seems like it'll be still pretty linear, unless it was specifically thrown together for that trailer. I see everyone on here talking about how the level design had better not be the shitty modern linear corridor shooter mechanic games like CoD do nowadays, but that seems to be the case. The game just won't be repayable, but will probably be fun the first time.

That being said, I will get this game, just like I got Duke Nukem Forever...

Seems people get upset when a new game strays to far from what the original great... But now we have people complaining that Doom 4 because it doesn't... It seems too many gamers will find any reason to hate something, honestly.

potnop said:

I do agree that people seem to mistakenly think doom is just about the violence and shooting.

To me doom is about a fucking badass space marine who is a survivor in a really shitty situation. I kinda cringe at the stupid one liners he has in Brutal Doom, and the voice it's done in. I think the Doom 3 marine was a much better portrayal than what he is like in Brutal Doom. I see him more like Cpl Hicks from Aliens, rather than the crazy dude from the comic.

The level design in DooM was pretty damn good. Based on the trailer, the level they showed seems like it'll be still pretty linear, unless it was specifically thrown together for that trailer. I see everyone on here talking about how the level design had better not be the shitty modern linear corridor shooter mechanic games like CoD do nowadays, but that seems to be the case. The game just won't be repayable, but will probably be fun the first time.

That being said, I will get this game, just like I got Duke Nukem Forever...

Seems they've taken a few cues from Doom Community, and the main reason for them hyping SnapMap. If it's decent and not console restricted, Doom4 will be vastly replayable, and frankly it's rather inspiring to see them give much love to our community.

CyberDemonEmpress said:

Seems people get upset when a new game strays to far from what the original great... But now we have people complaining that Doom 4 because it doesn't... It seems too many gamers will find any reason to hate something, honestly.

scifista42 said:

You may be on to something (I believe you are), but what do you suggest to do?

purist said:

What an odd rant. You ask why then immediately answer your own question, you claim Doom is fun because it's Doom and then complain the new Doom will fail because it will rely on Doom being fun and then end your post going into angst mode about the ills of the gaming industry before declare the whole post pointless.

After Doom, Id went on to make Quake, which was the next step. Quake killed Id honestly, because everyone who actually made good games left. Bethesda could make something new, but instead they make more of the same, ruining something someone else created. I end my rant saying it doesn't matter because nothing will change, I just want to say these things and have someone hear them because it's the truth. All of my complaining is just me trying to say that you shouldn't be able to take someone else's work and do what you want with it claiming it as your work.

I understand it's legal and everything is fair, but it's just annoying to see this happen to something I am very passionate about.

GoatLord said:

It doesn't look linear to me, I don't know where ya'll got that idea.

Well, I just saw the full e3 reveal and saw what hell looks like. Maybe it's not too linear after all. I just want this kind of level design instead of the one on the right: And the part in the lava facility looked like he was just going through corridor after corridor shooting a few demons.

Then again, he also had random weapons that you never saw picked up before, even though it looked like the game started from the beginning. The DooM 3 alpha footage was the same way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzJ0wFj-ag

It's possible that whole segment was put together specifically to show off how cool it is to blow demons apart and the real level will be a bit different.

Bethesda could have shown the original Doom on screen and there'd still be complaint posts about how it's either too much or not enough like the original.

potnop said:

Then again, he also had random weapons that you never saw picked up before, even though it looked like the game started from the beginning. The DooM 3 alpha footage was the same way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzJ0wFj-ag

It's possible that whole segment was put together specifically to show off how cool it is to blow demons apart and the real level will be a bit different.

I'd say it's a good bet that the level was for Demo purposes, at least the first Demo. HOwever, when we first see the Revenant, I noticed that there seemed to be a hallway that went closer to the window that oversaw the Rev's location. This Hallway could have been a dead end or it could have just gone to where the player eventually ended up anyways. Hard to tell. Maybe someone will just have to leak this demo, too :P

Clonehunter said:

I'd say it's a good bet that the level was for Demo purposes, at least the first Demo. HOwever, when we first see the Revenant, I noticed that there seemed to be a hallway that went closer to the window that oversaw the Rev's location. This Hallway could have been a dead end or it could have just gone to where the player eventually ended up anyways. Hard to tell. Maybe someone will just have to leak this demo, too :P

One of the official screens show Cacodemon in the area with the door leading to the SSG. This was not the case in the demo. So I'm betting that too.

GoatLord said:

It doesn't look linear to me, I don't know where ya'll got that idea.

The thing is is that we just don't know yet. The first level and even the hell level looked like it had other path ways you could go down, but I think that the person playing the demo went down the path that he did in order to demonstrate the combat mechanics. We won't know if the level design is like modern COD games or look the original doom games at least until people get to play the beta.

Hopefully, if the beta shows a game that is linear, enough people will complain so that Id will decide to make some changes in the design of the levels. However, that might be a bit much work. I am sure though since I don't work in the industry.

Take into account the fact that Doom may have ended up like this:

But it started out like this:

And I wouldn't exactly call Entryway the most intricate of maps.

Quasar said:

Bethesda could have shown the original Doom on screen and there'd still be complaint posts about how it's either too much or not enough like the original.

+1

BE THIS DOOM 4 NO NOT LIKE THAT LIKE THIS NOW YOU'RE GETTING IT WAIT THAT'S ALL WRONG DO IT LIKE THIS

...not a jab at this particular thread btw, just an observation about the general reaction on Doomworld.

Jaxxoon R said:

Take into account the fact that Doom may have ended up like this:

http://i.imgur.com/uUNjr8J.jpg

But it started out like this:

http://i.imgur.com/rb6cwAU.png

And I wouldn't exactly call Entryway the most intricate of maps.

That's because it's level 1 and is short and sweet I guess.

John Romero himself talked about making Hangar E1M1 last and it was that simple likely on purpose. Probably the same thing with Entryway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU7_BthBWM

Then level 2 is immediately a more complex level in both DooM 1 and 2. Heh and I remember being a kid and actually being stuck on level 1 of TNT and Plutonia until I became smarter.

To be fair, TNT Map 01 had this weird door that only opens for a short time when trying to walk up to the exit door that clearly has a blue key lock thing around it, so I wouldn't even try to walk up to it unless I found the blue key in the first place.

It wasn't until I watched the gameplay demo that I realized that's what you do.

Quasar said:

lmao, I nearly choked on my carbonated beverage reading this. It's so accurate and correct. They would be complaining about the texture misalignments in Doom II, oh wait, they already do.

I'd say give it a chance and wait until the game comes out to see if it's any good or not. Most E3 game reveals look slow paced, but once that certain game is released, it's a lot different.

I like when people make that 2010 FPS map. Arcade shooters were like that.

And you got to aim up and down, even if you couldn't move.

potnop said:

double jumping

This is just aesthetic and shouldn't affect anyone's opinion.

But double jumping are you fucking serious guys? Can we be that much of a fucking copycat of other games designed around "speed" that you had to add double fucking jumping?