Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dylanblitz

Gameplay Hit or Miss

I question for you guys, what did you guys think of the gameplay was it a hit or miss, for me it was a hit but there are some things I'm still worried about.

Here are some things I'm still worried

1. Executions, from what we can assume you can only do them when there are stunned and can do any when there are not. I also noticed that there was no fists that you could use when i looked at the weapons wheel so that's one thing I'm worried about, also the chainsaw executions looked pretty long to and i don't want them to be, i want to mow down enemy after enemy with the chainsaw in a few seconds not stand there execute one for a few seconds.

2. Enemy AI, while doom 1, 2, and 3s AI were not over the top they can still be threatening, this games AI looks pretty bad because sometimes they just stand there and don't do anything until 2 seconds later they finally start attacking. I want the enemies to be brutal and powerful to give a feeling of intensity and worry when you come across them.

3. The levels, from what i saw in the gameplay the first map did look kind of non linear which is good, but the hell level looked pretty linear and can eventually get boring, lets hope ID does something about this, also lets hope there's some kind of map we can use to find out where we go like WTNO.

4. This is what I'm most worried about, item pickups, to be honest i don't like how you get health and ammo by killing demons i mean it takes all the challenge out of it. It makes sense with human enemies to drop ammo because, well there using guns against you but with demons it doesn't really make sense. Doom has always been about exploration rather than killing demons, eventually you're gonna have low ammo and health so you're gonna have to go find some around the environment, if you don't find any than big deal you're gonna have to go in and face them your self while trying not to get killed. Lets not forget to mention secret areas. My favorite part about exploration in the original games was finding secrets and using whatevers in those secret areas to your advantage. Exploration is what made the original games so fun for me because it gives me the feeling of going on an adventure to find secrets and kill everything that gets in my way until i reach the end, THIS WHAT DOOM SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT.

So overall if i were Id i would make the levels non linear, remove the new item pickup from enemy mechanic, add secrets, and bigger exploration to give the player the feeling like you are going on an adventure, lets not forget to mention awesome gameplay.

So what did you guys think of the gameplay, hit or miss?

They where probably just demo levels meant to show off the gameplay. Though the hell bit did look kinda like it may be a boss level, given the "cave" you first see has the cyberdemon's likeness carved into it.. and obviously he shows up later in the video. Everything else looked great to me.. And like I said another thread it just needs a little polish.

I thought it was pretty cool, but as I said before, I'll make/base my judgement when I play the game. And I think others should do the same.

I think it's a hit. Besides, it's a little hard to judge something that isn't completed yet and wont be released for quite some still. I'm sure there is some fine tuning and polishing yet. I'm very excited for the new Doom title, been a fan of the series since 1993 and love all the games. And ultimately, I'm glad we're getting a new game.

Having watched the videos a few times I fall in between a hit and a miss.

At this point in time I'm leaning more towards a miss than a hit. This all depends on how you view the original Doom of course. If you watch a speedrun of some insane levels with a billion monsters, it will come across as extremely fast paced carnage. If you watch some guy (not a speedrunner) play the original games for the first time, like Husky does here you'll find that it's not really fast paced. At all. One thing that's great about classic Doom is that it scaled exceptionally well with your play style. You can be careful or you can go nuts. The levels encourage exploration and is often a big playground with environmental puzzles and/or key/switch hunts.

None of this applies to what we have seen so far. Most of the opposition is more about getting right in your face than bathing you in (not instant) projectiles. The fomer is immediate. The latter is potential. Doom as I see it is mostly about the potential threat with a sprinkle of immediate thrown into the mix. You'll have the pinkies or lost souls to avoid while keeping the fireballs or slow moving enemies in mind. If the scene is littered with hitscan enemies, you'll have to prioritize those first while still dodging incoming projectiles. Running out of space is just as big a concern as the immediate threat.

What we see in first Doom(4) location is a string of hallways that may or may not be segmented completely by invisible walls. Nothing in the video suggested that it is not completely linear. There are times where you are presented with a choice, but the choices he doesn't pursue always seem to be dead ends or very short loops back to where he ends up. Notice how the bridge before the first attack is blocked off by fire or how other choices are blocked off with locked doors (check the red lights in the frame model) The second video essentially takes place in an arena where it's scripted so that when you kill a hell knight, a door magically opens to reveal a mancubus.

If the goal is to mimic the original game in terms of "gameplay", then it's a miss by miles and miles. It looks to me like this has more in common with something like Hard Reset than classic Doom.

So is it a miss? Does it look like a bad game?
Not necessarily. The graphics are stunning. They're so much better than I expected and pretty much on par with any other gorgeous modern game. I really like the revenant. They pretty much nailed it. The cacodemons look all right and I like what I've seen of the Demon/Spectre. The cyberdemon is pretty awful though. All the way from the warcraft/blizzard style design to the textbook RAAWR AT THE PLAYER generic intro. The mancubus looks extremely silly. I wish they would stay a little closer to the original design. The argument against this has always been that it would be too cartoony, but the original mancubus looks way less goofy/cartoony than the new one. It's so unthreatening and sticks out like a sore thumb. The overall design on the other hand is great - both in terms of sound, visuals and music. The lazy allowance/"pocket money" style of item and health drops is almost as bad as regenerating health in my book. Also, the finishers got boring after the first 5 of them.

I'm really on the fence about the game so far. Lots to love. Lots to dislike. Is it somewhat different than most of the modern shooters? Yes! Is it oldschool? lolno. I'm afraid it will fall into the pitfall of oldschool equals UP FRONT ACTION YEAH!, but that might just be the way they want to market it so far. Who knows.

(edited) I think it looks good, but I want to reserve judgement until I've played it. I think map wise it might be comparable to the Lost Missions, so fairly linear, but "action-packed." I don't expect much maze-like gameplay with keys and secrets to find, but it would be cool to see.

I wonder what the repercussions are for using chainsaw and executions throughout the entire game. The player maneuvers pretty well and fast, it doesn't seem very hard to instakill everything with those two attacks alone, instead of spending ammo with less effective weapons.

40oz said:

I wonder what the repercussions are for using chainsaw and executions throughout the entire game. The player maneuvers pretty well and fast, it doesn't seem very hard to instakill everything with those two attacks alone, instead of spending ammo with less effective weapons.

Hopefully you will be required to use gas as ammo for it, to avoid it being too overused.

Kontra Kommando said:

Hopefully you will be required to use gas as ammo for it, to avoid it being too overused.

The chainsaw did seem to have an ammo counter. It had 6 of something, but it didn't decrease during the short time it was used. Maybe 6 minutes of usage?

I think the occasional finishers can make fights with alot enemies cool. Especially if you jump into the fray and blaze your guns and rip that imps jaws off and tear that zombies limbs in a nice flow while gunning down others in between melee finishers.

Yeah, the devs need to make sure it's not too easy to just run around and melee everyone. You should be required to be smart about when to go in for the finishers. If you're surrounded by enemies shooting at you and you can still melee someone without taking damage, that would be boring.

They also need to ensure the enemy attacks are plenty with different enemies. Worst case scenario is few bullet sponge enemies, that gets old and boring really quick.

The one thing that slowed down the gameplay in Doom 3 (for me anyway) wasn't any enemy. It was all of those PDAs I had to pick up and play for codes to whatever storage cabinets. That got old real quick. I hope there's none of that here.

I was amazed when I watched the two demos for the first time. At the same time, my feelings were scattered. I appreciate the scale of the levels, the details, and the gameplay. It seems like the gameplay is paying homage to Brutal Doom, and yet at the same time borrows gameplay from other games.

The weird thing is that the presentation of the game felt like an amalgam Metroid Prime, Halo, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, bits of the Alien films, and bits of Doom. From the first demo, I got very Aliens 3/Terminator 2 meets Metroid Prime vibe from its design. When I saw the reworking of the cyberdemon and the design of the Hell portion of the demo reminded me very much of the art style of Kingdoms of Amalur, which was done by Todd McFarlane. I liked that the design of Hell borrowed influences from fantasy RPGs in its design. The odd thing is that the enemies didn't quite stand out for me, in color, animation, or behavior. I expected the art style for the enemies to stand out more, as they did in the last three games. I think that for Doom's universe, it needs an art style which stands out, and makes you feel the presence of the enemies. Mentioning McFarlane makes me wish the the game had a combined art style of Adrian Carmack and Todd McFarlane.

Having the power-ups and items dropping and then instantly getting absorbed was interesting, though it felt like it was from another game. It seemed as if the hero was equipped with an ability that most players would have to earn in other games near the end, like Derek Badger's ability to absorb the coins from his fallen prey in Yahtzee Croshaw's Poacher.

The weapons don't stand quite out for me either in their design, but they are effective. I definitely liked the chainsaw parts and physical bare-hand take-downs. I found it clever of the developers to have time slow down as you choose your weapons.

The other ability which stood out for me was that scanner device which showed the ghostly traces of the people and demons who were in the room previously. It felt similar to the ghost-seeing ability in System Shock 2, and the Scrye ability from Clive Barker's Undying.

On the whole, I do like what I see. Though it doesn't stand out as Wolfenstein: The New Order did in its presentation, it's still impressive.

It is different from what I was lead to believe Doom 4 (or plain Doom, as they call it)was to be about. I've only just discovered why, thanks to the Doom wiki and the Kotaku article on Doom 4's development hell.

http://kotaku.com/after-the-disaster-we-had-with-rage-because-they-made-s-468213583

I don't know what the final game will be like, or how well the story narrative will be written. I am interested.

As a side note, I've been playing Doom 3 recently. I feel like I misjudged the game, because it plays better than I remember. There are elements in there which I feel System Shock 2 and Undying do better, but Doom 3 for me did a very good job on its atmosphere, gameplay, and design. I am playing the game on easy, and the enemies can't get annoying when they back you into a corner. I still Doom 3 could have used some more improvement, but I am impressed with what John Carmack and team managed to accomplish with that game.

DeimosKnight said:

but Doom 3 for me did a very good job on its atmosphere...

Yes, that's what it did best. Hopefully, Id will do just as good of a job with the atmosphere in Doom 4.

As much as i liked doom 3, i don't want doom 4 to have that big touch on athmosphere. Run&Gun.

Atmosphere though is what really sucks you in and makes you feel like you are actually there, on Mars, fighting monsters. I don't want to feel like I am playing a game. I want to be sucked in and feel like I am actually there, trying to survive against seemingly impossible odds.

Even Classic Doom had some pretty good atmosphere. There are some really good wads out there like KDiZD that have really good atmosphere as well. Atmosphere is just as important as all the other elements of Doom.

quakke said:

As much as i liked doom 3, i don't want doom 4 to have that big touch on athmosphere. Run&Gun.

Meh... Atmosphere is important, otherwise just disable all textures and whatever other stuff pro quake 3 players do to turn the game into a bland looking gray environment because it makes you so 1337.