Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hypr

weird music stuff while running different versions of windows

ok

in windows 98 when i run legacy with music wads i made the music is pretty much digital

but in windows 2000 it sounds more high quality like the instruments sound more realistic

I noticed that too. Win2k seems to have a better default MIDI synth than Win9x.

Win2k and WinXP use Microsoft's MIDI synthesizer, while Win95/Win98 use a different one. I noticed this cause on my old PC it sounded different to my new one. I played the midi's through Winamp, and stuffed around with the settings, and it had the info there. You could change to the microsoft synth on the old PC, so if you like that, you can do it.

what would be the best midi synthesiser if any out there be ?

Not Yamaha softsynth, that's for sure. Stick with the default, it's compatible with everything.

there is something like that for ff7 or ff8 they have a yamaha synth soft option

hypr said:

there is something like that for ff7 or ff8 they have a yamaha synth soft option

Final Fantasy 7 has that option when you install it.

RailGunner said:

dos versions of doom play midis AY-Ok. windows makes the best songs sound and look bad.

pssssh. It's all about hardware. Doom's music sounded alright on my SB16 in DOS. I soon changed my opinion after playing it on a friend's computer who had an AWE32 installed. It was much better. Windows 2000 uses it's internal MIDI synthesiser to produce better MIDI sounds than the sound card is capable of with hardware if you select it - you can select to do it with hardware, but it doesn't sound as good. I think it's a good idea, but it would always run slow with my old POS soundcard (I had an FM801, now have an SB Live! and as a result don't need to use the software synthesiser).